Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone know where to buy 8mm kador strip (and why 6mm won't fit)?

As per other people's photos in the beginning of this thread, the adapter is clearly made for an 8mm strip as the 6mm falls out almost immediately. The measurements I took this morning with Vernier callipers showed 9.2mm at the plastic openings, and 9.5mm for the length of the rubber section.

Thanks for the help, but it's clear that this is not a lot of people getting confused, but rather the simple problem of the kador strip being too small!

6mm kador fitted to awning strip

IMG_0790.JPG

6mm kador fitted to awning strip

View attachment 20352

Thanks Kev. I think we've 100% proved beyond doubt that your adapter has been made for a 6mm strip. I just wish ours was too.

The images in this post below aren't mine, but mine would look almost identical;

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=295838&page=3

The diameter of the PVC rod down the middle of the kador strip is 5.1mm.
The diameter of the outer is precisely 6mm.
The inner diameter of the opening at each end of the tent adapter is 8.4mm
The inner diameter of the main rubber section >9mm
The opening slit along the length of the adapter is 5.5mm

It has to be said that the adapter is made of a very soft rubber, and the slit can easily be opened up to 9-10mm with a gentle push. The kador strip falls out of the VW-original tent adapter before you can even finish threading it!

I revert back to the original poster's question. Where can you find 8mm kador strip (in lengths shorter than 100m)?!

I am literally sat on the internet now trying to solve this exact same problem before the weekend. California awning rail on my T5.1 and brand new Vango Kela 3 Low 2017 awning. So it looks like I have to waste £80 to buy a rail insert from banwy.co.uk, but it’s for an 8mm strip?!?! – which you can’t buy. If only there way an 8mm > 6mm double edged kadar strip...

We also have the strip and 6mm kador fits fine on ours, I wonder of there was a bad batch as I dont see the point in something be made for an 8mm kador which does not exist

I am literally sat on the internet now trying to solve this exact same problem before the weekend. California awning rail on my T5.1 and brand new Vango Kela 3 Low 2017 awning. So it looks like I have to waste £80 to buy a rail insert from banwy.co.uk, but it’s for an 8mm strip?!?! – which you can’t buy. If only there way an 8mm > 6mm double edged kadar strip...

Haha, glad I'm not the only one running around trying to get this solved before the weekend!

We're now looking at bonding some heavy sailcloth (Dacron) over the strip, using contact adhesive, but you could use any thick-but-slippy cloth.

The idea will be to apply the glue, fold the material over the bead, and then insert the whole lot into the tent adapter to 'clamp' it shut. The glue/cloth should add approx 1mm all round, taking us to the magic 8mm. In theory....

If anyone who is reading or posting on this thread is looking to purchase a awning rail rubber insert and a kador strip, I've both for sale.
6mm kador strip which fits into our kyham drive away awning and into the slit that's on the rubber insert. I've used them both with no problem over the last couple of summers. A roll out side awning has now seen them relegated to the garage.
£55.00 posted (uk)

View attachment 20365

View attachment 20366

We also have the strip and 6mm kador fits fine on ours, I wonder of there was a bad batch as I dont see the point in something be made for an 8mm kador which does not exist

This may be the case as, while there are a few of us in this boat, there's aren't many folk having issues.

As I said, the rubber is very soft / pliable which does seem odd for something that takes quite a lot of strain when there's wind pulling on a large tent. The one on my T4 was aluminium, so no problem with flex there!

If anyone who is reading or posting on this thread is looking to purchase a awning rail rubber insert and a kador strip, I've both for sale.
6mm kador strip which fits into our kyham drive away awning and into the slit that's on the rubber insert. I've used them both with no problem over the last couple of summers. A roll out side awning has now seen them relegated to the garage.
£55.00 posted (uk)

View attachment 20365

View attachment 20366
I'm interested if it's still available?

I'm interested if it's still available?
Still available.
You don't seem to be a vip member so I can't contact you personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had exactly this problem - an Outdoor Revolution Cayman drive away awning, the beading of which came out of the awning rail.
If you call OBI Camping & Leisure and explain this to them, they will recommend a Kador awning adapter. This is a 6mm x 6mm (yes, I know the channel is for 8mm beading) figure-of-eight adapter and I could post photos if you need clarification. It slides in to the channel on the van, and the beading then slides into it.
I've just had a weekend away and it worked a treat.
By the way, I also was baffled for quite a while, but it's obvious now.
Adrian

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? We have exactly the same issue with the standard VW tent adapter (obviously made for an 8mm or 8.5mm kador/keder strip) and our Outwell awning (6mm strip).

I'm happy to cut the 6mm strip off and sew an 8mm strip on but I can't find a supplier anywhere.

If we can't find anything by Thursday then I'm going to have to use spinnaker repair tape to increase the diameter of the Outwell 6mm strip until it gets close to 8mm. An expensive and very much temporary solution...
First outing, and a wet one, for us with of new Outdoor Revolution Movelite T4 lowline Air awning, ordered at the NEC. It came with an out well drive away kit, with a kador strip I measure at 7mm external. We do not have a pull out awning, so this goes in the rubber tent converter (factory fit) but the rubber fixing on the Cali is too flexible and it does pull out under tension or wind.
Anyone get a solution?

Help, the Kaydor strip on my Outwell Daytona awning is to large to go thru the figure of eight to enable connection to the wind out awning on my Beach. Could do with a slightly larger bore but they all seem to be 6mm.

I have one of those but the bore of the figure of eight, which is 7mm, is to small to fit an Outwell Daytona Driveway awning. I found the answer with Springfield Camping Ltd, who supplied a slightly larger figure of eight with a bore size of 9mm, a perfect fit.

No need to fiddle with Kayder strips and Figure of eights, I found a much quicker and simpler way of attaching my drive away awning. Simply insert the metal pole at the van connection end of the tent porch, then place the porch over and behind the Cali awning cassette, secure by taking both guy ropes to the ground bellow and peg down to secure. Takes a few minutes for a tight snug fit. Pictures to follow after my next trip.

so if anyone is interested I've just purchased 8mm Keder strip. I'll stich this to my current 6mm to 6mm kador strip after removing one of the 6mm strips. This should then fit nicely into the 8mm awning rail on the van and connect to the 6mm figure of 8 to the awning! Link below to the 8mm Keder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-8mm-K...651730?hash=item4b07d07f12:g:vwQAAOSwdGFYwcE1

I bought the same strip back in April and glued it to our Outwell awning. It works ok, but the rubber channel on the side of the cali means it still pulls out easily, doubly-so when its hot and the rubber is soft.

It's actually worked in our favour on a number of occasions as you don't need to reverse back at the same time as fitting the strip, it can now be fitted after you've parked. Either way, it is what it is now, and we couldn't live without the awning so its staying!

I bought the same strip back in April and glued it to our Outwell awning. It works ok, but the rubber channel on the side of the cali means it still pulls out easily, doubly-so when its hot and the rubber is soft.

It's actually worked in our favour on a number of occasions as you don't need to reverse back at the same time as fitting the strip, it can now be fitted after you've parked. Either way, it is what it is now, and we couldn't live without the awning so its staying!
My intension is to use it straight onto the aluminium rail T track bonded to the van and not the rubber insert. Have you ever tried it that way?

My intension is to use it straight onto the aluminium rail T track bonded to the van and not the rubber insert. Have you ever tried it that way?
No, but a very good idea. My T4 only had an alloy rail and it worked perfectly. In fact, I have no idea why they changed it!

This is a 8mm x 6mm strip that goes straight into the California rail
View attachment 24204
This is what we are adopting. Rubber to come out, Mrs S has already sewn a single 6mm to a single 8mm - looks good.
First thought was to leave the rubber in, but the 8mm pulled out too - harder than the 6mm, but still too easy - and that is a new rubber as I had it replaced on warrantyas both plastic ends were broken.

Hi all, I found this thread whilst searching for hours in Google. I have a T6 beach with the removable rubber awning rail (original VW part). Had the same experience as others: 6mm pulled out, 8mm didn't fit and I looked everywhere for a 7mm. Well, to cut a long story short I found a 7mm to 7mm at a great price and really good quality (15 pounds - 3 metre length) which first perfectly into the rubber rail and the figure of 8 plastic drive away awning profile. Thought I'd share as it really has been a pain finding one! https://camperinteriors.co.uk/products/aw04-extra-wide-keder-for-drive-away-awning

Back