Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Apple Air Tag

I think I'll stick with my Tiles. They've helped me find numerous lost keys, bags and wallets, both in the home and properly lost. And I hate giving Apple money. If I want to pay for overpriced equipment for people with more money than sense I'll buy another California!

For me, it just goes to show that reviews aren’t always reflective of overall experiences across a user base. Bit like bad reviews of the T6.1, they are in the minority.

I’ve had a Vodafone Curve since November 2020 - so 6 months. It has so far been faultless. Accurate location on map, accurate journey history, etc.

For me, it just goes to show that reviews aren’t always reflective of overall experiences across a user base. Bit like bad reviews of the T6.1, they are in the minority.

I’ve had a Vodafone Curve since November 2020 - so 6 months. It has so far been faultless. Accurate location on map, accurate journey history, etc.
Have you hard wired it?

I'm adding an AirTag to my California headrest (better line-of-sight through windows than doors) after having it towed in Como earlier this month. There was a sign hidden in the trees we didn't see on arrival in the dark on Friday night warning a Saturday market would be held in our spot; but no phone number or anything helpful like that for after the event.

Having thrown ourselves on the mercy of first (bemused) State Police then (amused) Local Police we were eventually able to find the car-pound & only lose two-hours and c.€150 in fine and tow-charges + taxi. AirTag would've taken us straight to the source.

On the theft side, it's possible / likely that a thief may hear it & dispose, but it doesn't start chirping straight away and I'd imagine immediate initial 'tracking' is more valuable during a theft than subsequent days.

Last edited:
I'm adding an AirTag to my California headrest (better line-of-sight through windows than doors) after having it towed in Como earlier this month. There was a sign hidden in the trees we didn't see on arrival in the dark on Friday night warning a Saturday market would be held in our spot; but no phone number or anything helpful like that for after the event.

Having thrown ourselves on the mercy of first (bemused) State Police then (amused) Local Police we were eventually able to find the car-pound & only lose two-hours and c.€150 in fine and tow-charges + taxi. AirTag would've taken us straight to the source.

On the theft side, it's possible / likely that a thief may hear it & dispose, but it doesn't start chirping straight away and I'd imagine immediate initial 'tracking' is more valuable during a theft than subsequent days.
Quote from Apple @hirsty :-

Apple AirTags are great for indoor areas. It will be at your service when you lose something in the house. AirTags can never replace a GPS tracking device for your cars. However, they are not designed for such a tracking experience.

Note: I can see the position of my van using the WeConnect App. Not sure if it updates if the van is towed somewhere though?

I also have a Vodafone Curve which is very cheap and reliable. Gives the option of real time tracking too. I believe Vodafone might have discontinued this device but maybe there is a replacement?

my iPhone & Apple Watch will direct me back to where the phone was last connected to van bluetooth - but that won't work when it's been towed.

AirTag updates its location periodically / intermittently via any passing iPhone - so it'll work, but it's not 100% reliable, or a full substitute for a tracker, but it's also less than £25.

Back