Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Apple Air Tag

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, I’m thinking of buying a newly released product from Apple (The Air Tag) and using it as an ‘undetectable’ tracking device for my Cali. They cost £29 and work ‘worldwide’ in the same way as does ‘find my iPhone / iPad / Mac etc. on Apple icloud. They can be tracked and traced within a meter of its location. It’s the sisr of a 10p piece and the battery last 1 year. Any thougts

Last edited:
They can only be tracked when they are near a phone. They also alert another person if that person is unwittingly being tracked (ie if your car is stolen by someone with an iPhone - they will be alerted the there is an Itag in their vicinity)
I don’t think it will do what you are looking for.

They can only be tracked when they are near a phone. They also alert another person if that person is unwittingly being tracked (ie if your car is stolen by someone with an iPhone - they will be alerted the there is an Itag in their vicinity)
I don't think that is correct. They will only alert those devices tied to the same Apple Account. Wouldn't be of any use if they alerted any iPhone. Find My Phone works only for devices tied to the Apple Account.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 23.05.28.jpg

They are designed to locate lost things not stolen thingscot to be used as secret trackers. From the Apple website:

“AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with loads of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner”

Testpilottimmy is correct regarding airtags not really being designed to use used as a covert tracker Although they do piggy pack on any iPhone not just those they are registered to they alert thier presence, extract from Apples info on thier web page on this function below …

“AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.”

They are designed to locate lost things not stolen thingscot to be used as secret trackers. From the Apple website:

“AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with loads of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner”
Of course you could always hope your vehicle gets stolen by someone with an Android phone......

They also alert another person if that person is unwittingly being tracked (ie if your car is stolen by someone with an iPhone - they will be alerted the there is an Itag in their vicinity)
Im not sure this is accurate.

I recently got the Samsung version of the itag (Samsungs came out first tho lol). It communicates stealthily to nearby Galaxy phones creating a map of its whereabouts. It doesnt alert Galaxy users of its location or the fact that their phone is being used for location purposes.

However, i have concerns about these devices. Stick one in someones bag / purse / car. Then surely the owner can see where that person lives???

Im not sure this is accurate.

I recently got the Samsung version of the itag (Samsungs came out first tho lol). It communicates stealthily to nearby Galaxy phones creating a map of its whereabouts. It doesnt alert Galaxy users of its location or the fact that their phone is being used for location purposes.

However, i have concerns about these devices. Stick one in someones bag / purse / car. Then surely the owner can see where that person lives???
That's why the Apple one is different, it will alert the person who has the tag on them to it's presence.

For anyone who wants to understand them past Apples blurb, there's a cyclist with a tech background on Youtube who explained it very clearly and it's potential use as a bike tracker:

Cheap non Bluetooth tracker is a curve from Voda phone. £20 upfront cost then £2 a month for 24 months. Has imbedded esim in it has to be charged up. Several modes of reporting. Leave in van or use fob to attach to your dog using the fob mount ( updates every 5 mins in this mode but low battery life 3 days ) you can set up a report that pings you if the curve is out of it’s expected ring fence location. Look it up

Hi, I’m thinking of buying a newly released product from Apple (The Air Tag) and using it as an ‘undetectable’ tracking device for my Cali. They cost £29 and work ‘worldwide’ in the same way as does ‘find my iPhone / iPad / Mac etc. on Apple icloud. They can be tracked and traced within a meter of its location. It’s the sisr of a 10p piece and the battery last 1 year. Any thougts
I’m also thinking the same.
I fully understand what they are and are not, but for £25 (or £50 if I stick two in there) they will prove useful as aids should some kind person decide my van needs to go on a road trip.

Even though it’s not a tracker, it offers some idea where the van is.

for the price, it feels better than looking at empty driveway and wishing I had got one.

That's why the Apple one is different, it will alert the person who has the tag on them to it's presence.

For anyone who wants to understand them past Apples blurb, there's a cyclist with a tech background on Youtube who explained it very clearly and it's potential use as a bike tracker:
Thanks for sharing it’s a good explanation. As he says information from Apple is thin on the ground. The requirement to go to a home location to trigger the tracking notification is interesting and not exactly what I expected.

You may want to consider tile for that purpose as it’s not restricted to iPhone or Android. They’re similarly priced and as they are a more mature tech, they’re also in widespread use which means your tile tag can be detected by the “community” and its location relayed covertly back to you.

It’s not what the product was designed for and it would be limited, but it could offer something (not least a little peace of mind)
https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadget...ile-how-does-find-with-tile-work-what-devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m also thinking the same.
I fully understand what they are and are not, but for £25 (or £50 if I stick two in there) they will prove useful as aids should some kind person decide my van needs to go on a road trip.

Even though it’s not a tracker, it offers some idea where the van is.

for the price, it feels better than looking at empty driveway and wishing I had got one.
Yes, but if that lovely person has an iphone then his iphone will alert him that there is an airtag, that is not registered to him, that is following him. He then pulls over, because you’ve sneakily hidden them in the porta potty and he can’t find it, and the airtag will make a noise (helpfully apmplified by the Thetford) to enable him to locate the airtag(s). He can then throw your £50 of airtags into the grass verge and drive on his merry way whilst you end up chasing a magpie across fields with its shiny, new bauble in it’s beak......or something like that.

And being an Apple product it’ll stop working at the next IOS release.

Yes, but if that lovely person has an iphone then his iphone will alert him that there is an airtag, that is not registered to him, that is following him. He then pulls over, because you’ve sneakily hidden them in the porta potty and he can’t find it, and the airtag will make a noise (helpfully apmplified by the Thetford) to enable him to locate the airtag(s). He can then throw your £50 of airtags into the grass verge and drive on his merry way whilst you end up chasing a magpie across fields with its shiny, new bauble in it’s beak......or something like that.
Alternatively you can save yourself £25 and use my method of security, as follows:
Step 1 - buy a Mercedes Marco Polo (like me)
Step 2 - always park it next to a Cali
The thief will steal the Cali and whilst you’re off chasing magpies I will then have a nice, double space pitch to stretch out in.

If you are not near it, Apple technology uses other people’s phones to relay the signal. There’s a lot of iPhones out there so should work where there’s a good population but less good in remote places. A better option IMO is the Vodafone Curve. It can be hardwired into your Cali and gives various options including real time tracking on a moving map. Small monthly subscription of £2.

34E5F1FA-2819-471E-A2F3-E4A4A5612B26.png

Isn't there some very simple solutions to this.

1. you could place the tag on the outside of the vehicle somewhere. My tags are relatively quiet and i would be surprised if any would be thief would hear them in an outside environment. if they were underneath the vehicle.
2. Bluetooth will work in a vacuum whereas sound will not travel through one. ( So a flask will act as the perfect cloaking device and will not look out of place in a campervan.)
3. put it into an acoustic insulating bag or pack which would cost about £3.

Aaah yes. Having just updated my knowledge ;-P. If the iPhone from another unrelated user notices that the airtag seems to be following them, it plays a tune. Thats clever.

Still though, someone who wants your car or bike or simply wants to know where you live. Simply attach an Airtag and a Samsung smart tag and one of'em will do the job for Terry the thief.

1. you could place the tag on the outside of the vehicle somewhere. My tags are relatively quiet and i would be surprised if any would be thief would hear them in an outside environment. if they were underneath the vehicle.
2. Bluetooth will work in a vacuum whereas sound will not travel through one. ( So a flask will act as the perfect cloaking device and will not look out of place in a campervan.)
:) A thermos flask strapped to the underside of the van will significantly reduce your ground clearance :)

I think the thieves are one step ahead with one of these.

I am notorious for buying things i want but don't need ,and airtags definitely fall into that category, I have 3 on my desk right now. ( i have already lost the 4th one before i paired it to my phone). I really have no idea what they might be useful for?

I have managed not to lose my keys or my bag in 48 years so i think i am all good for them. I did lose a shoe after a night out in the Netherlands a few years ago, which potentially may have been a good use for one if you could attach it to your laces.

Yes, but if you find an airtag that is following you then you can disable it to stop it sharing your location, so the thief doesn’t even need to find it to stop you tracking it. From Apple support:

If you see an “AirTag Found Moving With You” message​

If you see this message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later, an AirTag that has been separated from the person who registered it is travelling with you, and the owner may be able to see its location. It’s possible that the AirTag may be attached to an item you’re borrowing. Follow these steps to turn off “AirTag Detected” notifications or disable the AirTag:
  1. Tap the message.
  2. Tap Continue. If you need help finding the AirTag, tap Play Sound.*
  3. If the AirTag is attached to an item you’re borrowing, you can tap Pause Safety Alerts to turn off “AirTag Detected” notifications for one day. If you’re borrowing an AirTag from a member of your Family Sharing group, you can turn off Safety Alerts for one day or indefinitely.
  4. You can tap Learn About This AirTag to see its serial number if the owner marked it as lost.
  5. To disable the AirTag and stop sharing your location, tap Instructions to Disable AirTag and follow the onscreen steps. If you feel your safety is at risk, contact your local law enforcement who can then work with Apple. You may need to provide the AirTag or its serial number. “

I am notorious for buying things i want but don't need ,and airtags definitely fall into that category, I have 3 on my desk right now. ( i have already lost the 4th one before i paired it to my phone). I really have no idea what they might be useful for?

I have managed not to lose my keys or my bag in 48 years so i think i am all good for them. I did lose a shoe after a night out in the Netherlands a few years ago, which potentially may have been a good use for one if you could attach it to your laces.
Did you not attach an airtag to your airtag in case you lost it?

Aaah yes. Having just updated my knowledge ;-P. If the iPhone from another unrelated user notices that the airtag seems to be following them, it plays a tune. Thats clever.

Still though, someone who wants your car or bike or simply wants to know where you live. Simply attach an Airtag and a Samsung smart tag and one of'em will do the job for Terry the thief.
Doesnt take them long does it? But im seeing YT vids online on how to remove the speaker from Airtags...jeeeez....

Back