Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are all Cali owners old farts or geeks?

It all depends on who is doing the perceiving...

1. People who've never seen a Cali think you own a motorhome (so you must be a bit of an old fart).
2. People who know what a Cali is obviously recognise you are uber-cool (even if a bit self-satisfied).
3. People who've even glimpsed this forum realise we're all actually utter and unmitigated geeks.

;)

Well I must be the most "Ungeeky" person.

I certainly struggle with all things electronic and electrical. As my old professor used to say "Stick to the 18th century Jen, they had electricity after that".....

As for fussing over Albert, every trip it's a struggle to remember where I've put things "this week".

Well we own one, and we're cool as ****. Can't speak for anyone else :cool:

I've never been cool which I think is a good thing as I won't become uncool! We're 45 now, have been cali owners for 7 years now how the time flies!
Couldn't give two hoots what anyone thinks of us we just do our thing.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I agree with you all.

To be frank, everyone I talk to is jealous of the Cali and thinks its amazing. I've not once had an old fart or geek comment now I think about it, mostly just 'I wish I could get one' comments.

Agreed....

Like all those iPhone moonies who laugh at us Samsung Note owners, and then realise what we have!

All iPAD Airs, all the airy fairy stuff, gets used only by kids.

Steve Jobs said a stylus should never be used with a phone or tablet. Now years after Samsung, Apple introduce the iPAD pro with Apple pencil!

So it is kind of like that. The consumers are blind.

I also think all iPhone owners here need to be ashamed as consumers and not be allowed to be Cali owners! You muddled consumers of marketing psychology for inferior products!

Hah!

;)

We were also intending to buy a large leather clad 4x4....How glad we are that we didn't! Our Cali has taken this old fart(61) and my much younger wife(36) on many amazing trips and days out that would just would not have been possible in a vehicle that only has one party trick....Our Cali HAS 4 whee! drive......Now this old fart needs to go back to cleaning his trike........

I find iPhone/iPad owners don't need to brag about their devices, Samsung users on the other hand always tells "us" what we miss, the closed OS, lots of bullshit about Apple.

Being a computer guy for more than 20 years, I can say lots about Samsung, but never do. I am happy with my choice and I hope you are too.

I've never been cool which I think is a good thing as I won't become uncool! We're 45 now, have been cali owners for 7 years now how the time flies!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I wish I was made of stronger stuff :sad

Cut to the quick, shaken to the core, at the inference that I may be an old fart I have ceased to include beans in my diet....:shocked

Agreed....

Like all those iPhone moonies who laugh at us Samsung Note owners, and then realise what we have!

Steve Jobs said a stylus should never be used with a phone or tablet. Now years after Samsung, Apple introduce the iPAD pro with Apple pencil!

I also think all iPhone owners here need to be ashamed as consumers and not be allowed to be Cali owners! You muddled consumers of marketing psychology for inferior products!

Hah!

;)
Sounds like Apple envy to me I have tried lots of android devices, some better than others, but all needing to be rebooted frequently and getting slower and slower the longer you use them. Apple are by no means perfect but they do work and fairly reliably.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Owning a vw camper makes you cool by default if you like it or not! Not as cool as me though...

No..not at all, but yes, for many it takes a few years to generate the money for such a beast. I lbs of worry if campsites generally are getting a bit of an 'old fart' image ...but I think that's more a product of the tyranny of fixed (and increasingly non-negotiable!) school holidays which fixes the clientele demographics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Apple envy to me I have tried lots of android devices, some better than others, but all needing to be rebooted frequently and getting slower and slower the longer you use them. Apple are by no means perfect but they do work and fairly reliably.

Hahahaha!

Good one. No, I do not have Apple Envy....but envy carrier pigeons the most.

I am not sure what Android devices you used but of you ever tried the Samsung Note 5, or the newer Note 7, an iPhone will appear.....unmm.

So, at least one owner here fell for the perennial iPhone vs Andoit debate!

I think the concept of envy makes no sense. Those who can buy one can buy the other too. It is being tied into the ecosystem that makes it harder to switch.

At home we have every possible combination of Apple, Samsung Android, and Windows 10 devices.

Best are Samsung. Most advanced are Windows 10 but most unreliable. Apple the simplest, and safest and rather old fashioned. Kind of like a BMW 320D to Samsungs Audi RS7.

People get so sensitive about it. Especially Apple owners until I pull out both an IPhone 6plus and a Samsung Note 5 to contrast and compare.

It's the same issue with Calis. Those who drive otger cars refuse to see the point..

the answer to the question posed in the thread title is an un-contestable NO.

I am a Cali owner, and unquestionably an old fart *and* a geek. I have a birth certificate and 40+ years computer programming experience to prove it.

Surely it is not "old-fartish" to argue about mobile phones :shocked

Isn't that what McDonalds is for? To play host to crowds of juveniles with fifteen fingers on each hand each arguing who has the best?

Hahahaha!

Good one. No, I do not have Apple Envy....but envy carrier pigeons the most.

I am not sure what Android devices you used but of you ever tried the Samsung Note 5, or the newer Note 7, an iPhone will appear.....unmm.

So, at least one owner here fell for the perennial iPhone vs Andoit debate!

I think the concept of envy makes no sense. Those who can buy one can buy the other too. It is being tied into the ecosystem that makes it harder to switch.

At home we have every possible combination of Apple, Samsung Android, and Windows 10 devices.

Best are Samsung. Most advanced are Windows 10 but most unreliable. Apple the simplest, and safest and rather old fashioned. Kind of like a BMW 320D to Samsungs Audi RS7.

People get so sensitive about it. Especially Apple owners until I pull out both an IPhone 6plus and a Samsung Note 5 to contrast and compare.

It's the same issue with Calis. Those who drive otger cars refuse to see the point..
Apologies vw cali, I had added a tongue in cheek ;) smiley but from the iphone, not the web interface, which, ironically didn't show up lol ( its where the full stop should be). I truely don't care what phone you have but I am entitled to have a cali if I want one!:embarrased

or why people cannot see the obvuous flaws in the supposed theory of evolution....

Not sure I'm either a geek or an old fart, but I do believe in science as a impulse for human progress. Until we have a better falsifiable theory, I'll stick with evolution, thank you.

Not sure I'm either a geek or an old fart, but I do believe in science as a impulse for human progress. Until we have a better falsifiable theory, I'll stick with evolution, thank you.

Well some of us here might be professionally trained scientists.

What popular science books tell you have the following fundamental flaw: they are usually literalist and dogmatic interpretations of data. Or are usually taken in literal sense by readers.

May I recommend understanding two different well known philosophy of science perspectives.

First, is traditional Karl Popper. A scientific theory musy be falsifiable. If it isn't then it isn't. This is the issue with many economic theories and evolutionary theories. Ideas, maybe useful and illuminating, up to a point, but non scientific nevertheless.

In common with religious doctrine, the theory of evolution starts off not be trying to understand a phenomenon on its own, but by trying to resort to any explanation in terms of evolution no matter how implausible. Many popular expositions like "the sefish gene" are just trivial, misplaced and unhelpful.

The other philosophy of science is "The structure of scientific resolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, a celebrated classic from around 1960. Kuhn says it is not logic but social acceptance that makes theories acceptable. "Paradigm shifts" occcur not because logic refutes an older theory but that over a generation or more, strict adherence to it becomes . The older resistant generation is ultimately just replaced by those who see more value in looking at things from a different perspective.

When I first read it as an undergraduate in the US, I neither liked nor found it comforting. But I was 20, and had not spent a lifetime thinking and carrying out research.

While often held out as competing theories of science, I think both Popper and Kuhn are actually complementary.

I cannot write 20 pages here, but briefly there are many specific issues with many "soft science" theories like evolution. Some are the absence of sn energy principle, mathematical implausibility of very rapid change in terms of antibiotic resistance, and failure to address various anamolies. If you read any of Dawkins for example, you will find that he responds to any specific criticism or critique with remarkably vague responses, but aimed at counter insult. He gets personal and insulting, and eschews the actual issue.

This is not the manner of true science. True scientists are not driven by desire to defend a theory for its own sake, but by a desire to understand foremost.

The second issue with evolution is higher level. It is tautological by definition. Just like Voltaire's character Dr Pangloss in "Candide" who explained every phenomenon witnessed as driven by God, remarkably the self indulgent evolutionary theorists do exactly the same. Why is something the way it is you ask them, and they refer to evolution. Some explanation is made up.

Recently, a group of linguists, led by the indomitable Noam Chomsky, have concluded that after 40 years of research they have no idea why human language exists. It remains a complete mystery, and is not shared by any other species.

Now this is a more scientific and honest approach.

As Richard Feynman, a true scientist, said "I would rather live with uncertainty than have answers which are wrong." To me that is the essence of science.

There are no ultimate explanations anyway. Even those who think that mathemstical proofs in pure mathematics existx need to think again. Rather more is true of science.

I aooreciate though that given the choice between feeling smart and scientific, or daft and stupid, the lure of believing in evolutionary theory, peddled as science, is very strong. People's desire to feel smart is higher than their actual curiosity.

Here is a prediction (and I have made 2 predictions in last 20 years that were hugely unfashionable but were borne out):

Within 20 years, and possibly 10, a generation of scientists will emerge that will articulate for the popular layman why there are serious holes in the supposed theory, and why for sake of progress one must not let oneself be shackled by it.

Agreed....

Hah!

;)
Apple or Android, it's just a question of who you sell your soul to.

This week I have given a colleague a lift home from work who said my Cali is the cleanest car they have ever been in which might make me a bit OCD and my daughters called me a geek for giving a full demonstration of all the cubby holes, roof operation and additional tweeks at a family gathering. We went to Woolacoombe (big surfing scene) and got so many waves from other T4 &T5 owners, admiring looks ( the Cali not me!) from loads of people which made me feel a bit cool so I just need to somehow tick the nerd box and I got the whole set.

Well some of us here might be professionally trained scientists.

What popular science books tell you have the following fundamental flaw: they are usually literalist and dogmatic interpretations of data. Or are usually taken in literal sense by readers.

May I recommend understanding two different well known philosophy of science perspectives.

First, is traditional Karl Popper. A scientific theory musy be falsifiable. If it isn't then it isn't. This is the issue with many economic theories and evolutionary theories. Ideas, maybe useful and illuminating, up to a point, but non scientific nevertheless.

In common with religious doctrine, the theory of evolution starts off not be trying to understand a phenomenon on its own, but by trying to resort to any explanation in terms of evolution no matter how implausible. Many popular expositions like "the sefish gene" are just trivial, misplaced and unhelpful.

The other philosophy of science is "The structure of scientific resolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, a celebrated classic from around 1960. Kuhn says it is not logic but social acceptance that makes theories acceptable. "Paradigm shifts" occcur not because logic refutes an older theory but that over a generation or more, strict adherence to it becomes . The older resistant generation is ultimately just replaced by those who see more value in looking at things from a different perspective.

When I first read it as an undergraduate in the US, I neither liked nor found it comforting. But I was 20, and had not spent a lifetime thinking and carrying out research.

While often held out as competing theories of science, I think both Popper and Kuhn are actually complementary.

I cannot write 20 pages here, but briefly there are many specific issues with many "soft science" theories like evolution. Some are the absence of sn energy principle, mathematical implausibility of very rapid change in terms of antibiotic resistance, and failure to address various anamolies. If you read any of Dawkins for example, you will find that he responds to any specific criticism or critique with remarkably vague responses, but aimed at counter insult. He gets personal and insulting, and eschews the actual issue.

This is not the manner of true science. True scientists are not driven by desire to defend a theory for its own sake, but by a desire to understand foremost.

The second issue with evolution is higher level. It is tautological by definition. Just like Voltaire's character Dr Pangloss in "Candide" who explained every phenomenon witnessed as driven by God, remarkably the self indulgent evolutionary theorists do exactly the same. Why is something the way it is you ask them, and they refer to evolution. Some explanation is made up.

Recently, a group of linguists, led by the indomitable Noam Chomsky, have concluded that after 40 years of research they have no idea why human language exists. It remains a complete mystery, and is not shared by any other species.

Now this is a more scientific and honest approach.

As Richard Feynman, a true scientist, said "I would rather live with uncertainty than have answers which are wrong." To me that is the essence of science.

There are no ultimate explanations anyway. Even those who think that mathemstical proofs in pure mathematics existx need to think again. Rather more is true of science.

I aooreciate though that given the choice between feeling smart and scientific, or daft and stupid, the lure of believing in evolutionary theory, peddled as science, is very strong. People's desire to feel smart is higher than their actual curiosity.

Here is a prediction (and I have made 2 predictions in last 20 years that were hugely unfashionable but were borne out):

Within 20 years, and possibly 10, a generation of scientists will emerge that will articulate for the popular layman why there are serious holes in the supposed theory, and why for sake of progress one must not let oneself be shackled by it.
Your not using your Cali enough, you need to get out more.

When I was 20 I drove a BMW R100RT which was very much not considered a bike for the young and fast. I couldn't care less - Not then, not now. Because I know exactly why I bought these things: to get where I wanted to go and to enjoy being out there preferably without people around me talking about bikes or campers.

Last edited:
40 when bought last year (it's the new 30 so not old). Geek? Not really. Thought was if not now then when? So bought new. Been used for short weekends without the kids, boys cycling weekends and most recently a 3 week tour in Europe. The only geekyness is the collection of stickers we have going showing where we have visited and maybe our Euro tour t-shirts :) . Love our Beach. Don't listen to those haters, they are just jealous. :)

IMAG2618.jpg

Wish I'd had one years ago but needed an inheritance to make it happen. Seen as really cool not geeky. Only problem is that if I have any quotes for work on the house if they see the Cali they think I have loads of money!

Back