Argh I left my lights on overnight

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Not sure how I managed it but my lights were left on overnight and it was dead in the morning. Was most surprised that I managed to get a charge back into it with a 20a charger and its been fine since starting first time.

I have noticed that my auto stop start hasn't kicked for a day or so. Have I ruined the battery?

Not sure how I managed it but my lights were left on overnight and it was dead in the morning. Was most surprised that I managed to get a charge back into it with a 20a charger and its been fine since starting first time.

I have noticed that my auto stop start hasn't kicked for a day or so. Have I ruined the battery?

Does the Beach not have the lights left on beeper when you take the ignition key out?

Yup that's why I am baffled how I managed to leave them on at all but leave them on I did.

Looks ok.

12.5v after 4 hours from last drive on leisure.
12.3v with keys in (vehicle battery?)

Both seems a bit low, will get the smart chargers on them later .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A long slow charge won't do the battery any harm.
I wouldn't worry about the stop start, mine doesn't always work when you expect it to, it will sort itself out.

Was it full lights left on or the "Indicator Parking Lights "?

The lights automatically dim to sidelights once the key is out but yes the switch was on.

The stop start kicked in this morning so I'm guessing its ok again.

Tested the leisure battery today after a day and partial night on charge, seems to be 12.4, which seems a bit low.

The lights automatically dim to sidelights once the key is out but yes the switch was on.

Tested the leisure battery today after a day and partial night on charge, seems to be 12.4, which seems a bit low.
Check you onboard charger is working - mine seems to have given up the ghost. Somthing else for the dealer to look at while the roof is being sprayed - and a new starter battery as mine doesn't seem to hold charge 12.2v is not good.

I'm interested in your stop / start stopping working @MattBW . Mine didn't seem to be working when I drove home from the dealer. But I haven't got used to when it should kick in yet. I tried it with the switch in both positions. Have others had any trouble with this? I was going to investigate today but have been somewhat distracted by my lack of parking sensors (see my thread started today)!

Stop/Start working depends on a number of factors.
1. Starter battery must have sufficient charge.
2. Engine must be upto temperature.
3. Climatronic if fitted must be set above 20c at least.
4. DPF not regenerating.
5. Must be stationary.
6. ? Stopped on hill.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
I'm interested in your stop / start stopping working @MattBW . Mine didn't seem to be working when I drove home from the dealer. But I haven't got used to when it should kick in yet. I tried it with the switch in both positions. Have others had any trouble with this? I was going to investigate today but have been somewhat distracted by my lack of parking sensors (see my thread started today)!
The Stop/Start on the T6 is slightly different compared to the T5. I think the same factors are required for it to work, but on the T5 DSG, lift the foot brake and the engine starts. On the T6 DSG you have to put your foot on the accelerator for the engine to start and in the meantime the vehicle is held stationary by a version of the Hill Start system.:thumb

• Thanks
Stop/Start working depends on a number of factors.
1. Starter battery must have sufficient charge.
2. Engine must be upto temperature.
3. Climatronic if fitted must be set above 20c at least.
4. DPF not regenerating.
5. Must be stationary.
6. ? Stopped on hill.
On the basis of the above I would have expected it to kick in. I had a 40 min drive but the engine never stopped when I was stationary.

On the basis of the above I would have expected it to kick in. I had a 40 min drive but the engine never stopped when I was stationary.
Don't forget though, the Starter Battery may not have had sufficient charge. It would have had a number of starts since having been put together, but not been run for long enough to bring the Engine Battery upto the required charge level..
Plug it into the Mains as that will charge all 3 batteries, over time.

WG, A couple of observations for the T6 DSG which don't quite match your comments. My stop / start works with internal temp set to 18.5 degC (not sure if this is what you mean by climatronic). It doesn't kick in as you say, until the engine is warm. However, the engine restarts when lifting foot off brake before applying accelerator and it kicks in on hills on A90 around Aberdeen, not exceptionally steep, but definitely not flat...

Hi Matt, the car charger on it's own won't give you a deep charge for your batteries. You need to plug into the mains to get that. That may be why you have the problem.
The book even says that you should plug into the mains for 48 hours before going a away camping, presumably for the same reason.
David

WG, A couple of observations for the T6 DSG which don't quite match your comments. My stop / start works with internal temp set to 18.5 degC (not sure if this is what you mean by climatronic). It doesn't kick in as you say, until the engine is warm. However, the engine restarts when lifting foot off brake before applying accelerator and it kicks in on hills on A90 around Aberdeen, not exceptionally steep, but definitely not flat...
Handbook states 20c or above on AirCon. I've had mine working below 19c.
On the Caravelle T6 I drove the Start did not function on Foot Brake Off, only on Accelerator On. Confirmed by the Driver as a change he did not like from the T5. He drove the vehicle every day as the Dealers Customer Shuttle. Never works on a local hill here which has a 15% gradient and T junction at the top.:thumb

We are a little off topic here but I had the same experience with start/stop as DM. I own my T6 one month now and I 'm getting used to it. Start/stop does work and if it doesn't the cali has a reason we don't always understand. If you look in the book there is a long list of reasons why the cali can decide not to stop the engine I think the VW engineers have been thinking about this with safety in mind . Even the position of the steering wheel can be a reason not to stop the engine if I remember well..

• Thanks
Looks like you've got away with it. I think the batteries on quite a number of "brand new" vehicles may have gone flat before they even find a new owner, particularly the less popular models, and the batteries seem to take it in their stride.

Back