Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Arm rests, seat airbag operation and seat covers.

P

Polomint

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hki.

Have been looking at seat covers, I see brandrup and inka are airbag compatible but Jackyards not. I have also read online that the arm rest if in the vertical position will stop the activation of the seat airbag. It is also unclear if non compliant airbags will invalidate an insurance claim in the event of an impact.

I am in aquandry, I often do not use the arm rest as I don't like the material when I rest on it. so I presume the airbag won't operate anyway, so should I fit seat covers, and then use the arm rest with a material which is preferable, both ways I get no seat airbag.

Sorry for convoluted post, any thoughts would be helpful.

Wouldn’t the force of an airbag firing would just push the raised armrest forward out of the way?

Wouldn’t the force of an airbag firing would just push the raised armrest forward out of the way?
Also I cant see how airbag function can have any bearing on an insurance claim. Otherwise it would not be possible to deactivate the passenger side for a child seat.

Hki.

Have been looking at seat covers, I see brandrup and inka are airbag compatible but Jackyards not. I have also read online that the arm rest if in the vertical position will stop the activation of the seat airbag. It is also unclear if non compliant airbags will invalidate an insurance claim in the event of an impact.

I am in aquandry, I often do not use the arm rest as I don't like the material when I rest on it. so I presume the airbag won't operate anyway, so should I fit seat covers, and then use the arm rest with a material which is preferable, both ways I get no seat airbag.

As far as I am aware the position of the armrest does not interfere with the deployment of the seat airbag.
It would be a bit useless if it did as the outer one is frequently not used in practice.

Looking at that interesting clip, if a seat cover is not compatible would the force of the air bag be reflected back in to the seat?

Hki.

The Arm rests shouldn’t interfere with the airbag. If they did VW would have to issue a safety recall.

‘Officially’ you should inform your insurers if you fit a cover that is not airbag compliant as it might prevent safety devices from operating properly.

Many non-compliant seat cover manufacturers say ‘it should be ok with airbags” but the small print will indicate otherwise.

Also I cant see how airbag function can have any bearing on an insurance claim. Otherwise it would not be possible to deactivate the passenger side for a child seat.
I guess that in the event of an accident where an injury was sustained due to the airbag not deploying due to a “non airbag” seat cover, the insurer would dispute the claim. The deactivation of the airbag when using a child seat is to protect the child, so is not removing a safety feature.

Having seen how the seat airbag activates I think I might just get some waterproof material and make covers for the seat base cushions.Any suggestions on material type would be well received.
I have made a star wars super kingsize duvet cover so hopefully won't be beyond my capabilities, only hope the sewing machine will cope :) Thank you for making my decisiion a bit easier.

If Jackyards are not compatible, I certainly wouldn’t buy them.