Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Arrival times

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
I have been looking for some camp sites where they allow you to arrive after 8, or 7 in some cases!
My main reason for this is that I want to go Friday after work and stay 2 nights somewhere, but don't want to use annual leave.
Thought a 2 hour max drive to a site was reasonable, but being Friday need some give on the times due to traffic as you never know what it'll be like.
Are all sites like this? Am I being unreasonable/unrealistic?

If they wont accomodate you late then go elsewhere.

Wild, or sleep at a service station en-route if it's on a motorway network.

Also, pub campsites tend to have later arrival limits.

Since most pubs don't have campsites...ask the manager if you can sleep in the car park as you'd like to have a meal and some drinks in the pub (I've never done that, but lots do).

Last edited:
Can't do services etc as I'll have the Mrs & two young kids with me :rolleyes:

In my experience the Camping & Caravan Club sites are fine with late arrivals, provided they know to expect you. We arrived at one at 9.30 recently - no problems.

Many sites leave directions stuck to the reception window for late arrivals, assuming that you book (& probably pay in advance).

I'm surprised about that as when I mention a possible eta the response is still the same. One site said it had to be exceptional circumstances!
Maybe the thing to do is book then turn up late with some cock and bull excuse;)

some cc sites have late arrival areas outside the main gates

Many sites accept late friday night 'post weekday work' arrivals, your arrival and set up may clash with some sites 'no noise after ... 10 pm ' policies, so, ask if your chosen site has a 'late arrival' area. If no reasonable flexibility, choose somewhere else.

Rob H.

What area are you based. Our normal cut off time is 9.30pm. We do have some leeway on this, however we try not to allow very late arrivals as they can disturb other guests who may want to go to bed early. It's not always the site owners being unreasonable, moreover they are being considerate to the guests already on the park. Our reputation has been built up over the last 30 years for being a peaceful family park. I realise that the average Cali owner is just going to park up, raise the pop top and settle down, but some campers don't. Tuono001 - please don't do what you suggest about cock and bull excuses. It doesn't bode well. We allowed a late group onto our park last bank holiday Friday, who said they had been held up in traffic. They were prebooked, but didn't arrive until after 11pm. Despite being asked to be as quiet as possible, and to be fair they tried to be quiet, they still woke everyone up around them, and we as a site get the blame. The consequence is then poor reviews online and no repeat business from the customers who were disturbed. So if you want to arrive very late then I think most parks would rather you choose somewhere else.

I'm not asking these sites for anything more than a possible arrival between 8 & 9, I have two young kids so I don't want them up all hours and I certainly don't want to disturb others. It just seems from those I have tried it's been a negative response.
At one site, we did use for one Saturday, I had the "we'd have no life if we waited for late arrivals"! not encouragement for a second visit even though we liked the site.
If it helps I'm looking for sites 2 hour max drive from Nottingham and before people say it the peak districts been done. (Bare in mind finish work at 5 so leaving time 6ish with tail end rush hour traffic to deal with)

I have never had any problem and have perfected the 'silent' arrival. You might find that the larger sites and holiday parks have this policy more than the smaller ones? However I arrived at 8pm at Tantallon, North Berwick recently and just had to park and pay by 10 the next morning...super welcome.
I think if you have a problem, then just find somewhere else cos plenty don't mind. However, make sure you set up as quietly as possible cos if not, they may stop the privilege for others.

I think the problem occurs if the campsite has an entrance barrier. Then the wardens have to come out late to give you a barrier code to open it up, when they should be off duty.

It can't be late noise issues at 8 or 9 pm in the evening, as there is no restriction on people who are already set up in the campsite driving out to a pub or whatever & returning late, if they already have a code to open the barrier.