Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Booking, Cooking and Chocking

NickAero

NickAero

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
1. Booking

We have only had our Cali (our 1st camper) since August last year, so have not experienced booking camp site slots in 'the before times'.
I am guessing that pre-COVID you could book camp sites other than by continually checking booking forms to see when they are switched back on ?

We stayed at Nicholaston Farm this weekend (which we really liked), having booked v early in the year and being cancelled once.
Their website says they only have mid-week non-holiday spaces from now until September.
There wasn't a spare space all weekend.

2. Cooking - gas.

During 3 weekends away on electric hookup the gas cylinder has dropped from 4.54Kg to 4.19Kg.
Will there be enough to last a 2 week trip ( with 11 days on electric).

I am guessing best not to risk it.

3. Chocking

Is there a technique to keeping the van on the chocks while swivelling the driver seat (ie releasing the hand brake)?
We managed it by keeping a foot on the brake while someone else swivelled the seat, but there must be an easier/safer way...

(eg I guess some more chocks behind the other wheels ??)

Re The handbrake, if it’s DSG leave it in park It will move about an inch when you let off the handbrake and then stop, no need to sit there with foot on the brake. If manual just put it in first or reverse.

When levelling the van always move it up the ramps slightly further to allow for the little bit of rollback.

1. Booking

We have only had our Cali (our 1st camper) since August last year, so have not experienced booking camp site slots in 'the before times'.
I am guessing that pre-COVID you could book camp sites other than by continually checking booking forms to see when they are switched back on ?

We stayed at Nicholaston Farm this weekend (which we really liked), having booked v early in the year and being cancelled once.
Their website says they only have mid-week non-holiday spaces from now until September.

2. Cooking - gas.

During 3 weekends away on electric hookup the gas cylinder has dropped from 4.54Kg to 4.19Kg.

3. Chocking

Is there a technique to keeping the van on the chocks while swivelling the driver seat (ie releasing the hand brake)?
We managed it by keeping a foot on the brake while someone else swivelled the seat, but there must be an easier/safer way...

1. Just go on google maps, put "camp sites" in the search box, book from their website, some will have spaces some not. School holidays and weekends are obviously more heavily booked but the clubs and others are providing pop up sites in most places.
2. You will be fine unless you intend to start a catering business.
3. We rarely chock, if necessary just leave the gbox in park/1st to swivel seat.

1. Booking

2. Cooking - gas.

3. Chocking

1. These are unusual times for campsite bookings. All year sites had booking forms online 24/7. Seasonal campsites normally had a downtime October to January.

2. 3 weekends ? 6 days and you used 0.35 Kgm of gas.
So you’ll get about 17 days / Kgm of gas.

3.As above. Drive onto chocks, hold on footbrake and if DSG into P, engine off, then footbrake Off and then handbrake On. Vehicle shouldn’t then move when releasing handbrake to swivel seat.
If you have manual, onto chocks, footbrake On. Into 1st or reverse, engine off, footbrake off and then handbrake On. Once again vehicle shouldn’t move if handbrake is released to swivel seats.

Back