Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

At last we've had the opportunity to test it!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Mrs B and I have just spend two delightful days with our very good friends Mr and Mrs SimonB glamping on a very cold and frosty campsite just outside of Oxford. We met up to explore the area, feast, drink of the grape and have a jolly good natter. Whilst there, I finally had the oportunity to test out a new kit that Nick at Comfortz has made for me.

When we have met up in the past we have experimented with joining our two factory fitted Thule awnings together (each with Comfortz awning rooms fitted) to produce a very large covered in dining area.
image.jpeg
The trouble is that there has always been a draughty gap between the two sections of end wall in each end of the joined awning rooms. There has also been a gap between the two extended awning rails which lets in water if it rains. So I came up with a design for a kit to seal these gaps and make the whole thing very cosy. Here are some snaps of the prototype.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
To connect the awnings to make one large joint awning room, park both Calis facing in opposite directions (if the campsite allows you to do that). The extended awning rails should run paralel to each other but be separated by a very small gap. To do this park the first Cali and extend it's awning fully. Then pace out how far it extends from the side of your van and then pace the same distance beyond the awning rail to find where the second Cali's side should be positioned. Don't forget that you will need to add about 25 mm for a gap between the extended parallel awning rails. After parking the second Cali and winding it's awning out, adjust it's position, for and aft, (whilst someone raises that Cali's extended awning rail), to line up the extending awning arms on both vehicles. This is to ensure that the front and back walls of both Cali awning rooms line up. Once lined up attach the Comfortz awning room ends to both Cali's extended awning arms.

The kit that I asked Nick at Comfortz to make me, joins the gap between the two awning room wall sections at the front and back by utilising the existing Velcro strips on the end walls. The gutter section is made up of three strips that form the gutter. Two strips slide, one into the Kador slot in each awning rail. Each strip has Velcro running the full length. Once in position, attach the third gutter strip by sticking the Velcro edging to the previously mentioned Kador Velcro strips to form a gutter. Any rain will run off at either the front or the back via the joining gutter strip. Under these circumstances it is advisable to drop one end of both awnings to create good rain water run off. If using it as a large joint awning room then obviously you would leave off the outer awning walls that attach to the awning rails run parallel to the sliding doors.

I hope that has made it clear. If anyone is still reading this and is even remotely interested in having one of these kits please have a chat with Nick. I am sure he will knock you one up if you cross his palm with silver.

I hope that has made it clear. If anyone is still reading this and is even remotely interested in having one of these kits please have a chat with Nick.
Having knocked up something similar once before (joining three ridiculously cheap gazebos with guttering on a rainy Padstow campsite) I can see the benefits. What I don't understand is how, once inside, you can escape without clambering back through one or other of the vans.

Mrs B and I have just spend two delightful days with our very good friends Mr and Mrs SimonB glamping on a very cold and frosty campsite just outside of Oxford. We met up to explore the area, feast, drink of the grape and have a jolly good natter. Whilst there, I finally had the oportunity to test out a new kit that Nick at Comfortz has made for me.

When we have met up in the past we have experimented with joining our two factory fitted Thule awnings together (each with Comfortz awning rooms fitted) to produce a very large covered in dining area.
View attachment 18769
The trouble is that there has always been a draughty gap between the two sections of end wall in each end of the joined awning rooms. There has also been a gap between the two extended awning rails which lets in water if it rains. So I came up with a design for a kit to seal these gaps and make the whole thing very cosy. Here are some snaps of the prototype.
View attachment 18770
View attachment 18771
View attachment 18772
View attachment 18773
View attachment 18774
To connect the awnings to make one large joint awning room, park both Calis facing in opposite directions (if the campsite allows you to do that). The extended awning rails should run paralel to each other but be separated by a very small gap. To do this park the first Cali and extend it's awning fully. Then pace out how far it extends from the side of your van and then pace the same distance beyond the awning rail to find where the second Cali's side should be positioned. Don't forget that you will need to add about 25 mm for a gap between the extended parallel awning rails. After parking the second Cali and winding it's awning out, adjust it's position, for and aft, (whilst someone raises that Cali's extended awning rail), to line up the extending awning arms on both vehicles. This is to ensure that the front and back walls of both Cali awning rooms line up. Once lined up attach the Comfortz awning room ends to both Cali's extended awning arms.

The kit that I asked Nick at Comfortz to make me, joins the gap between the two awning room wall sections at the front and back by utilising the existing Velcro strips on the end walls. The gutter section is made up of three strips that form the gutter. Two strips slide, one into the Kador slot in each awning rail. Each strip has Velcro running the full length. Once in position, attach the third gutter strip by sticking the Velcro edging to the previously mentioned Kador Velcro strips to form a gutter. Any rain will run off at either the front or the back via the joining gutter strip. Under these circumstances it is advisable to drop one end of both awnings to create good rain water run off. If using it as a large joint awning room then obviously you would leave off the outer awning walls that attach to the awning rails run parallel to the sliding doors.

I hope that has made it clear. If anyone is still reading this and is even remotely interested in having one of these kits please have a chat with Nick. I am sure he will knock you one up if you cross his palm with silver.
Ah that's great Paul ! Look forward to seeing this in operation on a meet or we may have our own by then . Nick knows that we are wanting one . Does it stow away easily in the awning bag ? And let us know which site in Oxford you went to as that's close by for us and Bugsy .
Lesley

Having knocked up something similar once before (joining three ridiculously cheap gazebos with guttering on a rainy Padstow campsite) I can see the benefits. What I don't understand is how, once inside, you can escape without clambering back through one or other of the vans.
The Comfortz awning room consists of two end panels that zip onto the two extending awning arms and a side panel that slides into the Kador extrusion on the awning rail. One of the end panels has a zip up door in it. The other end panel and the side panel have large windows with integral drop down curtains. So when creating the connected double awning room you have several choices:

1. Connect just the two awnings with the gutter to create a long connected sun shade between the two vans.
2. As above but with the addition of two Comfortz awning sides fitted and connected at one end only thereby forming a large covered wind break.
3. With all four awning sides fitted and connected to create a large covered room between the two vans. You have the choice of fitting one door panel and one window panel in each end or having both doors and both windows situated in the same ends. If you choose the latter option then you can easily open both doors to create the arrangement similar to that mentioned in 2. above. Useful if you wanted a sheltered viewing gallery, e.g facing the river at the Lower Lode or watching some sporting event.

Ah that's great Paul ! Look forward to seeing this in operation on a meet or we may have our own by then . Nick knows that we are wanting one . Does it stow away easily in the awning bag ? And let us know which site in Oxford you went to as that's close by for us and Bugsy .
Lesley
Hello Lesley,
The kit takes up no room at all and we keep it in the bag with the awning room kit. The only modification to the prototype that was suggested would be to have the side joining strips 50mm wider leaving the gutter the same width. However I think that it works just fine as it is. It also takes up the minimum af space in it's present form and does the job it was designed to do.
In fact there is nothing to stop you increasing the width of the kit to suit your own needs. just as long as you add the same amount (width) onto each element. Mind you if you went for really wide, you would have to find a means of supporting the wider gutter section. However I cannot imagine an occasion that you would need anything like that.

The site was a Camping and Caravan site situated behind Go Outdoors on Abingdon Road. The facilities could do with a little modernising but it's perfectly ok. The warden was very friendly and helpful. From there it's about a mile to walk into Oxford town centre. I recommend you try the Turf Inn. It's a challenge to find but worth the effort. We also visited a old haunt, the Falkland Arms at Great Tew. It's an ancient thatched inn about a thirty minute drive outside of Oxford via Woodstock. It's located near Enstone and is just what a pub should, utterly charming.

We hope to see you and Brin at a meet sometime soon.

Best wishes
Paul and Paddy

Hello Lesley,
The kit takes up no room at all and we keep it in the bag with the awning room kit. The only modification to the prototype that was suggested would be to have the side joining strips 50mm wider leaving the gutter the same width. However I think that it works just fine as it is. It also takes up the minimum af space in it's present form and does the job it was designed to do.
In fact there is nothing to stop you increasing the width of the kit to suit your own needs. just as long as you add the same amount (width) onto each element. Mind you if you went for really wide, you would have to find a means of supporting the wider gutter section. However I cannot imagine an occasion that you would need anything like that.

The site was a Camping and Caravan site situated behind Go Outdoors on Abingdon Road. The facilities could do with a little modernising but it's perfectly ok. The warden was very friendly and helpful. From there it's about a mile to walk into Oxford town centre. I recommend you try the Turf Inn. It's a challenge to find but worth the effort. We also visited a old haunt, the Falkland Arms at Great Tew. It's an ancient thatched inn about a thirty minute drive outside of Oxford via Woodstock. It's located near Enstone and is just what a pub should, utterly charming.

We hope to see you and Brin at a meet sometime soon.

Best wishes
Paul and Paddy[/QUOTE

Hello Paul and Paddy ,
What a great review , look forward to visiting Nick soon and asking about the 'extension' . Would want it much larger due to our inner matting not stretching that far . I bet it was very snug and cosy particularly with your chandelier! We need to upgrade our pretend battery operated candles if we see you at a meet .
Just checked the pubs out , they do look good thank you .
Hope we see you all soon and if your our way , Nottinghamshire, do pop in .
Lesley and Brin

Hello Paul and Paddy ,
What a great review , look forward to visiting Nick soon and asking about the 'extension' . Wouldn't want it much larger due to our inner matting not stretching that far . I bet it was very snug and cosy particularly with your candelabra! We need to upgrade our pretend battery operated candles if we see you at a meet .
Just checked the pubs out , they do look good thank you .
Hope we see you all soon and if your our way , Nottinghamshire, do pop in .
Lesley and Brin

Back