Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auto Light - Retro Fit / Upgrade

SteveM

SteveM

VIP Member
I recently had a courtesy T5 whilst my beach was in at the dealers. Two things I really benefited from were the rear camera system (brilliant) and the auto lights. I would like to get the autolights retro-fitted to my beach and I wondered if anyone out there has any experience or recommendations?

My van already has the auto wiper sensor on the screen which looked exactly the same as the sensor in the courtesy vehicle - is this where the light sensor is? the dash light switch was different so clearly that will need replacing, is there anything else as well e.g. a control unit or is it just a reprogramme to enable?

Any advice appreciated... not sure why this function is available on a boogo spec shuttle but not on the beach (despite the auto wipers!).

Steve.

Just keep the lights always on, whilst driving. Cost is very low, security much increased.
Regards
Andrzej

Auto lights have only just become available on the Cali.

As previous post, speak to Gareth at Hazzydays. Simple and Cheap, cost about 150 to add the auto lights.

For some reason VW only just started to offer it.

James

Thanks all,

Andrzej .... I have daytime running lights at the front as it is facelift model, but that is half the trouble! you think you have your lights on but they are not really as no backs! I was working it out and the last car I had without was in 2003! After ten years you just become lazy and used to not having to remember.

Reserves - The detail on that site is great ... thanks. That is my valantines evening sorted! (wife will kill me).

James I have used Hazzy Dayz before for my cruise control retrofit but they did not list this. As we know they are good but not cheap, so was keen to understand what was involved before contacting them, did they auto your xenons? At £150 I guess it is just the new switch and some reprogramming given their typical pricing structure.

Steve.

SteveM said:
Thanks all,

Andrzej .... I have daytime running lights at the front as it is facelift model, but that is half the trouble! you think you have your lights on but they are not really as no backs! I was working it out and the last car I had without was in 2003! After ten years you just become lazy and used to not having to remember.

Reserves - The detail on that site is great ... thanks. That is my valantines evening sorted! (wife will kill me).

James I have used Hazzy Dayz before for my cruise control retrofit but they did not list this. As we know they are good but not cheap, so was keen to understand what was involved before contacting them, did they auto your xenons? At £150 I guess it is just the new switch and some reprogramming given their typical pricing structure.

Steve.

Hi Steve

They don't list it but they can do it. I am not sure what exact price is I have hot a quote somewhere

Auto Lights available on Caravelles but until recently not Cali's. But they can do it :) you should get a change on your DIS for the coming home function.

James

I don't remember auto lights being an option when we ordered our Cali in December (but we did order zenons)...so was this something that was sort under the counter..not in the catalogue/spreadsheet, but still available as an option?

Larkrise said:
I don't remember auto lights being an option when we ordered our Cali in December (but we did order zenons)...so was this something that was sort under the counter..not in the catalogue/spreadsheet, but still available as an option?

We ordered from Jan 14 brochure and I didn't see anything specific either. I guess I just had an expectation, after 7 years of not having to think about it, that paying another £1200 for xenons and adding auto dimming and rain sensors would somehow have that base covered. Looks like that was maybe an assumption too far ;) ????

It'd be good to know if it can be added on a new order but still good if it can be added retrospectively if decided it was necessary.

My 2012 Beach has auto lights.

I bought one that was coming into the country already so didn't choose the spec myself.

I do like them.

Gary here has it on his full Cali - not sure what the situation is with the Beach

In Europe the auto lights come as part of a light and sight package.

Not sure why they are not offered now or of they are.

Can be added afterwards though even if you have to go through the expensive route of upgrading windscreen and mirror sensor.

James.

My 2013 Cali had auto lights, seemed to be included with the auto dimming mirror etc.

NZCol said:
My 2013 Cali had auto lights, seemed to be included with the auto dimming mirror etc.

It should be - but in the past it hasn't.

it's slightly confusing, Cali's coming to the UK previously have never offered auto lights, there's never been a clear reason for this.

It now appears available on the full Cali's but on the Beach, it still seems something of a mystery. It can be retro fitted, either with a windscreen change and fitting the sensor, or if you have the sensor for the auto dimming mirror and auto wipers, then it's a bit more simple.

It's been available on other T5 variants, Edition 25's for example, so I don't know why.
James

Back