Auto lights switching

A

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We toured round Northern Italy this year and I became fed up with switching the lights on, and remembering to turn then off for the tunnels. In one case I turned them off on entering the tunnel and on again when leaving it, luckily the tunnel was short! Our Golf Mk5 had Auto mode for the lights, and I am surprised how much I relied on it.

The van does have Auto Windscreen wipers which means it has the windscreen sensor fitted and which I hope includes a light sensor. So, if I buy and fit the appropriate light switch, can I recode the system so that Auto mode functions?

Alan

There is a thread on this subject lurking somewhere. I seem to recall an extra wire being required to the new switch as well. Stu, do you recall? Did you ever code one?

Certainly a friend's MY2013 has AUTO lights from the factory, so module revision permitting, it should be possible to retrofit a switch and code.

We're in the same situation with a windscreen sensor fitted but had no ability to order auto lights in 2012.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

One wire sounds simple enough unless it dives through the trim to the sensor, don't fancy that.

I have investigated the switch. I will need a 17 way version. Apparently there is a 10 way version too. Plus front and rear fog light switching.
That may make it expensive. Will investigate in the next day or so.

Alan

shambly said:
There is a thread on this subject lurking somewhere. I seem to recall an extra wire being required to the new switch as well. Stu, do you recall? Did you ever code one?

Certainly a friend's MY2013 has AUTO lights from the factory, so module revision permitting, it should be possible to retrofit a switch and code.

We're in the same situation with a windscreen sensor fitted but had no ability to order auto lights in 2012.

Simon

It's perfectly possible to retrofit auto lights - either if you have auto wipers or you don't. If you don't, then it is going to be a new windscreen (as you know), you'll be look about £500 (approx) including the new screen.

if you have the auto wipers, then it is a wire and a new switch and Hazzydayz will do this, just ask for a quote. You will need an auto light switch as well. If you ask Hazzy days to do it - then they will just need to know what type of connector you have on your current light switch (there's easy way to remove your light switch).

Cali's only started appear with auto lights at some point last year and even now, I struggle to understand quite how it gets fitted.

My advice would be for any future owners to get your build codes for equipment, so someone who has auto lights, ask the dealer for option codes and for everyone else to ensure those codes are the ones sent to the factory.

James

Thanks James,

I will give Hazy Dayz a call.

Alan

Sorry - I didn't see you had mentioned about the switch, but yes, you are right.

James

Just leave the lights always on whilst driving. Much saver, costs very little. Fuel consumption increase is negligible, only little more frequent bulb replacement.
Cheers
Andrzej

Andresz said:
Just leave the lights always on whilst driving. Much saver, costs very little. Fuel consumption increase is negligible, only little more frequent bulb replacement.
Cheers
Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

That would be OK if they turned off when you turned off the ignition, as happens with our Saab. But VWs in the UK just beep annoyingly at you, to remind you that the side lights are still on, when you remove the ignition key.

Alan

I did this mod a number of times on Skoda Octavia cars which was just one wire however when I looked into it for the T5.1 it started to look at bit complicated.

I compared the wiring on a van with auto lights and one without and it looked that it was more than one wire and in fact quite some change at the BCM end. Maybe there is an easier way.

I have heard Hazzy Dayz are doing it but I don't know what they are doing. If someone has had the mod by Hazzy Dayz and is happy for me to have a look at their van then I would be interested.

The furst hurdle is the plug used for Auto light switches is quite small and totally different to that of a non Auto light switch. I would love this mod so am very interested to understand it.

AlanC said:
Andresz said:
Cheers
Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

That would be OK if they turned off when you turned off the ignition, as happens with our Saab. But VWs in the UK just beep annoyingly at you, to remind you that the side lights are still on, when you remove the ignition key.

Alan

I haven't tried this, but it looks like you can change the coding to turn off the lights when you turn off the ignition (at least you can on a Golf Mk6 which is similar to the T5) - could this be the best way to spoof auto lights - just leave your lights on all the time - which you pretty much do with DRL anyway, but only at the front....

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=92

Looks feasible T so long as the BCM of the T5 has the same dataset.

I can't test it my end, as someone has borrowed my cable, but it could be a budget way to get autolights.

As everyone now has DRLs you won't look mad driving around with your lights on :)

I might collect the cable at the weekend and give it a go.

T

AlanC said:
Andresz said:
Cheers
Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

Alan

Hello Alan

There is the same annoying sound for LHD.
For me this is not an issue, however I would prefer the gong sound, which plays for example as warning for low fuel level, indeed.

I very much prefer this option in comparison to the lights switching automatically off, when you turn the ignition off.
It is more secure, it automatically switches the high current driving lights off, leaves the position lights on. This will not make you invisible after switching off the ignition in a dark street. You have to switch off manually and consciously.

The leftover position lights are low current. If this is not extreme sub-zero temperature they will not drain battery even in 12-24 hours. Longer period are surely problematic.

Another nice feature is, to leave one side position light on (left or right) if you remove the key and switch the indicator left or right. Consumes even less current.

My only complain is that the sound is not warning when leaving the lights on and stepping out through the sliding door. I do sometimes exit the van through the slide door (with Polyroof you can freely walk inside the vehicle).

Regards
Andrzej

teeboy said:
AlanC said:
Andresz said:
Cheers
Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

Alan

I haven't tried this, but it looks like you can change the coding to turn off the lights when you turn off the ignition (at least you can on a Golf Mk6 which is similar to the T5) - could this be the best way to spoof auto lights - just leave your lights on all the time - which you pretty much do with DRL anyway, but only at the front....

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=92

I would be interested in that if it works on the Cali T. My local garage have the software and are happy to use it for a small fee.

Alan

I had time to speak to Hazy Dayz today. As I suspected this update is not as easy as we may have at first thought.

It all depends on the switch that is fitted to your Cali. The 17-way socket on the back of the switch indicates that the switch is a high current installation. This means that the lights are being switched directly by the switch.

The 10-way socketed switch operates at low current and switches the control signals for a control box which in turn controls the lights.

With the 17-way switch, the system is changed completely, so a control box is fitted together with the 10-way switch. Clearly this is a more expensive process and takes 9 hours to do and costs about £800.00.

With the 10-way low current switch the control box is in place, then only an addition wire and a reprogram of the system is necessary.

When I mentioned in passing that I had considered retro fitting Xenon lights to my Cali I was told that this includes the control box and Auto Lights can be done easily at the same time...

Oh well, another great idea bites the dust.

Alan

Thanks for the update Alan, I think that confirms my findings. To convert a larger sized (current switching) plugged light switch to the smaller plugged type involves quite some re-wiring.

The addition of the 'extra' wire was as I remembered on the smaller plugged switches.

If you want to check yours then with the lights in the off position push the light switch in and turn a quarter or so turn then pull and it should pull the whole cartridge out.

Hi Stu,

I wondered how the switch came out.

I checked by removing the trim and pulling the plug out at the back of the switch.
As I have the 17-way version I won't be following this idea up any further.

Alan