Auxiliary Heater v Dehumidifier

Lesley Dale

Lesley Dale

Anastasia
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to know which is the best to use in this cold weather Auxiliary Heater or Dehumidifier to stop any dampness inside my Cali whilst parked up by the side of my house. Especially as it's not getting much use in these Lockdown times.
I have been running the Auxiliary Heater on Level 1 occasionally but I was wondering whether I should use a dehumidifier instead, I'm hooked up to electricity, so that using the Dh would not be a problem.
I would appreciate your views please.....

I think you'll be creating condensation using the heater, as moisture will form on the windows and inside panels because of their big temperature difference between inside and outside cold air.
My immediate reaction was not to use anything, but if anything, I'd go the de humidifier route.

The aux heater just draws in air via the drivers footwell, warms it & spits it backout through the B pillar. Thats not going to remove any moisture.

I don't bother with anything, but make sure the aircon is running whenever it is driven as that drys the air.

I think you'll be creating condensation using the heater, as moisture will form on the windows and inside panels because of their big temperature difference between inside and outside cold air.
My immediate reaction was not to use anything, but if anything, I'd go the de humidifier route.

My immediate reaction was not to use anything, but if anything, I'd go the de humidifier
Thank you for your comments..... The reason I was concerned was because I had left some clothes in the hanging wardrobe and they felt really damp. I suppose the sensible thing is to remove all bedding a clothing from it until I'm allowed to take it on its next trip.

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to know which is the best to use in this cold weather Auxiliary Heater or Dehumidifier to stop any dampness inside my Cali whilst parked up by the side of my house. Especially as it's not getting much use in these Lockdown times.
I have been running the Auxiliary Heater on Level 1 occasionally but I was wondering whether I should use a dehumidifier instead, I'm hooked up to electricity, so that using the Dh would not be a problem.
As has been mentioned, the heater just warms the internal air, but doesn't dry it. A Dehumidifier will dry the internal air But doesn't work well at low temperatures. Warming the interior and using a Dehumidifier as well does the job. I just use 2 x disposable dehumidifiers in the vehicle and run the heater occasionally. Mine is also a daily driver and I always have the aircon On.

The wardrobe is actually probably the worst place to leave anything, its got an exposed metal outside wall which is one of the likely places for condensation.

The aux heater just draws in air via the drivers footwell, warms it & spits it backout through the B pillar. Thats not going to remove any moisture.

I don't bother with anything, but make sure the aircon is running whenever it is driven as that drys the air.
Thanks for your comments.... I did leave it on last night & it was pretty cold, frost & snow this morning, checked it out, all looked good and no condensation.

The wardrobe is actually probably the worst place to leave anything, its got an exposed metal outside wall which is one of the likely places for condensation.
Thanks.... Yep, found that out!

Thanks for all your responses and I will take on board your comments. It's alway's great to receive the experiences of other people. Thanks again.....

When I was having problems with leaking sliding windows I did both - had the auxiliary heater on to warm the air and a dehumidifier to remove moisture. Left it on for a few hours / overnight after a heavy downpour. It worked well at removing excess moisture.

Good morning,

During the lockdown I use the van once a week, going shopping. But because we have very wet and damp weather I look after the van in the following way:
  • Check the sliding windows for water intake once a week
  • Ensure that the UniBond Aero 360 dehumidifier is full
  • Let the heating run for half an hour per week
  • In the rare occasion the weather is not so wet and maybe even a bit of sun, I open the doors
  • Ensure that there is fresh cat litter in a sock on the dashboard
  • The odd time that I use the van I ensure that the aircon is on
With all this I feel there is still a wee bit of damp, but it is just a little.

Happy dry California,
Eberhard

The higher the temperature of the air, the more moisture it can hold, which is why it appears logical to heat damp areas.
But without ventilation, the moisture can't escape, and will just condense on the windows, the plastic trim, carpets and on the inside of the body panels, in fact wherever the temperature of the air drops when it touches a colder surface. (as the cooling air at those points can no longer hold the same degree of moisture as the warmer air in the cab).

I run a small household dehumidifier in our Cali every time I top up the batteries (monthly at present - Cali not been used since well before Christmas) with the scheduled EHU. I also, when its been particularly wet, use a small fan heater to put some warmth in the van. This circulates the air so the A/C can do its job properly without icing up. I do not use the aux heater as this just draws moist air from outside the van making the situation worse.
Result? No condensation in wardrobe, under the sink areas, or behind sliding door card etc.

It doesn't, it recirculates air that is already in the van
Hi Andy, are you sure this is true? If so why is it that when I start up my aux heater I can smell the fumes of the burning diesel? If the air was just recirculated as you say I wouldn't be able to smell them would I. Or is there a fault with my heater?

Hi Andy, are you sure this is true? If so why is it that when I start up my aux heater I can smell the fumes of the burning diesel? If the air was just recirculated as you say I wouldn't be able to smell them would I. Or is there a fault with my heater?
The air heater is a heat exchanger located outside the van under the right hand side. Combustion takes place using outside air and diesel, heating up the heat exchanger vanes, and exhausted outside, which are the fumes you smell. The heat exchanger takes air from inside the van, pumps it past the hot vanes of the heat exchanger and releases the heated air back into the van. The outside combustion air and the inside heated air never come into physical contact with each other, so no exchange of humidity or, more importantly, poisonous fumes.

Last edited:
As @clarinetbcn says. You are just smelling the exhaust fumes from outside. Don’t forget the California is not airtight, roof vent open or windows open or even via the dash vents depending on their setting and direction of the wind etc.

Air from outside a vehicle will be dry.
It’s always moisture trapped within. Doesn’t matter if it’s a house, boat or car.
Same principle.

The air heater is a heat exchanger located outside the van under the right hand side. Combustion takes place using outside air and diesel, heating up the heat exchanger vanes, and exhausted outside, which are the fumes you smell. The heat exchanger takes air from inside the van, pumps it past the hot vanes of the heat exchanger and releases the heated air back into the van. The outside combustion air and the inside heated air never come into physical contact with each other, so no exchange of humidity or, more importantly, poisonous fumes.
I love these kinds of videos! But I dare you not to cringe at the beginning.

Hi Everyone

Hi Just thought I would mention, that we had condensation in our van due to lack of use
Went to Halfords and bought the dehumidifier bag at £8.00 and at first didn’t seem like it was working,then after a few days the damp was gone, I noticed other cars in the area had condensation on front windows, not on ours seems to work
Regards

Hi Everyone

We use a dehumidifier on drying mode during the 24 hours we have the van on hook up every 3 or 4 weeks, only find about a pint of water in the reservoir. It is an easy operation and can do no harm.
The parking heater is used regularly during trips to our local exercise areas whilst the weather has been cold, easy defrost of windows before we set out.

Hi Lesley, can’t help with the van as ours is on order, but could you tell me the breed of your dogs, are they TT’s