Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary Heater

L

Lifeinavan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So I'm taking my new cali (2010) out for the first time tomorrow, going to spend two nights out and I'm wondering how to keep the temperature at a normal level at night. The temperature outside should be something around 0 at night.

I assume it's through the auxiliary heater?

Does it burn through a lot of diesel and electricity?

Do I need to be stationed at a campsite and attach electricity to the rear side?

Is it cold for the people in the pop-up roof bed?

Anything else you wanna tell me I'm happy to listen, tips and tricks and what not:)

Thanks.

On our recent first trip we played about between 1 and 3 for the heater. Worked well and downstairs was like an oven. Our daughter was upstairs and it was understandably cooler due to the bellows. But certainly not freezing. She was plently warm in her toddler bed with gro bag. It wasn't too cold throughout the night mind you

So I'm taking my new cali (2010) out for the first time tomorrow, going to spend two nights out and I'm wondering how to keep the temperature at a normal level at night. The temperature outside should be something around 0 at night.

I assume it's through the auxiliary heater?

Does it burn through a lot of diesel and electricity?

Do I need to be stationed at a campsite and attach electricity to the rear side?

Is it cold for the people in the pop-up roof bed?

Anything else you wanna tell me I'm happy to listen, tips and tricks and what not:)

Thanks.
The Parking Heater uses about 0.7L/hr at FULL blast.
Overnight, as has been mentioned Level 1-3 maximum will keep you nice and warm. Do ensure you have some ventilation though , NOT because of the heater, but 2 to 4 people sleeping in a confined space. If the roof is up there are ventilation vents, unless you have a Topper on. Otherwise leave one of the front windows open by 1-2 cms especially if you have wind defectors on the front windows.
The Heater uses a few amps on startup but once the interior is unto temperature the usage drops significantly.
If your Leisure Batteries are well charged - from the mains for 24 hrs beforehand - then I have been able to run fridge + Heater + lights etc for 4 days 24hrs/day over Christmas. So you shouldn't have a problem.

It will be colder in the roof bed area, so extra blanket for those up there.

2 weeks ago and similar temperatures I found level 1 plenty warm enough for the dogs downstairs (empty waterbowl in the mornings) and with hook uo and a single bed electric under blanket upstairs on a zonesleep mattress with normal duvet I was comfy too.
I had topper and liner.
I think swivelling the driver seat (if you can) will aid the heat flow upstairs from the auxilliary heater.

You'll work out what's best for you.

Enjoy

Afther @WelshGas 's write up ....no more to add:thumb

We usually start up high and lower to 1or 2 during the colder nights...

Our heater makes a ticking noise - a bit like when the central heating pipes warm up, only it continues when it's warmed up. The dealer said it would be the fuel injection, but I'm not convinced. Should we expect this? Its still under warranty...

Our heater makes a ticking noise - a bit like when the central heating pipes warm up, only it continues when it's warmed up. The dealer said it would be the fuel injection, but I'm not convinced. Should we expect this? Its still under warranty...
Yes. That is the metered fuel pump. It ticks quickly when the heater is running at full throttle to get the interior upto temperature then slows down when in maintenance mode.

Please forgive me for intruding as I am not a Cali owner but I have a question to ask about your parking heater controls. Am I correct in what I understand from various conversations I read on this forum that the Cali has a simple 1, 2, 3, etc. setting not a temperature degree setting?

I ask this as I use an Eberspacher Airtronic parking heater with an Eberspacher 801 control unit which allows me to set a desired temperature on a digital display. When the heat button is pressed the heater first of all runs up to full heat then regulates to the set temperature shutting down completely when the set value is reached. When the internal temperature drops below the set value the heater comes to life at a medium output (very unobtrusive) to raise the interior back to the set value. It can be left in this state for a number days if necessary just like domestic central heating.
My heater control also allows for use of the unit as a cold air circulating fan, nice on hot evenings in Europe (or the UK if we ever get hot weather).

How does this compare with the Cali parking heater control?

Please forgive me for intruding as I am not a Cali owner but I have a question to ask about your parking heater controls. Am I correct in what I understand from various conversations I read on this forum that the Cali has a simple 1, 2, 3, etc. setting not a temperature degree setting?

I ask this as I use an Eberspacher Airtronic parking heater with an Eberspacher 801 control unit which allows me to set a desired temperature on a digital display. When the heat button is pressed the heater first of all runs up to full heat then regulates to the set temperature shutting down completely when the set value is reached. When the internal temperature drops below the set value the heater comes to life at a medium output (very unobtrusive) to raise the interior back to the set value. It can be left in this state for a number days if necessary just like domestic central heating.
My heater control also allows for use of the unit as a cold air circulating fan, nice on hot evenings in Europe (or the UK if we ever get hot weather).

In general it works thesame , only as you say we can not set a themparatur but levels .....
And blowing cold air , it does not ....or at least not i'm aware of

Yes. That's what happens on mine. However you select a Temperature Level 1 upto 7 rather than a temperature in Degrees C or F.
It doesn't have a Cold Air circulating function.

I met some cali owners who mentioned something about min or max operation times But as usual I cannot remember the details or the reason :mad: