Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxillary Air Control Module or Earth Shunt problem?

SimplyDubs said:
My 2009 was definitely affected by the earth shunt issue... Fixed under warranty.

All the usual symptoms... Resolved by the earth change... I know of several other in the 2009 model year that also suffered so just a little perturbed by he feed back that it only affected 2007 model.

I challenge that.

Rgds
Mark

To add to the list, my 2009 also suffered from the earth shunt issue and was fixed under warrenty... After many visits to VW and dealing with their technical people in Singapore and Germany (I'm in NZ). Had all of the symptoms described, blowing cold air, flickering display panel, worked if engine on or on mains hookup.
All ok now.

It looks like I've got this problem on my 2008.Ive tried to view Bubbles video above but the YouTube link says there is no video !
Has anyone got a Diy manual or link to a video that works?
What sort of cost is involved in a dealer doing the" shunt fix"?
Thanks

Hi there is a detailed document in the download section of how to repair the earth shunt

Eyup piers
If you send over your email I'll try and send the three videos I've recorded. It worked for me. Turned out to be a bad earth.

Cheers Chris

P.s one of the videos is roughly 2 mins long. Can this be emailed ?

Hi Chris could you send the video's to me also vwcaliforniaclub@+++++.com
Please please cheers kev

Thanks Chris,
I have pm'ed you my email address.
I have downloaded the instructions (thanks Calikev) and it doesn't look too bad but seeing it on vid would be a great help.
Sounds like it should be the answer to the problem, fingers crossed!
Thanks again,
Piers.

Hi Kev

Think I've got it across in three bits.... Left out disconnection of batteries etc . Hope this helps buddy

Hi piers
How do I access my pm messages ? Haven't got a clue?

Hi all arrived just need to find an app to open them :thumb
Thanks

Good question Chris but I'm afraid I can't answer!!!
My email is piersnesbitt@+++++++.com
Cheers
Piers

We got our 2007 Cali last summer, just in time fore a 6 week vacation to north Norway. It took me some time of googling before I found that the reason for our problems with the heater was due to the shunt. I managed to fix the issue while on the road, by tightening the screws on the shunt. We were happy campers for a while, but recently I discovered that the problem is back. The heater will not turn on unless the engine is running or when plugged in. The batteries are in mint condition so I know that is not the issue. This time I want to fix the problem once and for all, so my question to the community is how should I go about it? Unfortunately the shunt was bent during the last repair. I'm not sure it is a problem, but if I need a new one, where can I get it? As I am not a VIP member,I did not manage to open the document under downloads. Nor did I manage to open the YouTube links.

Camping in Norway requires a functional heater, so we are hoping to have the issue resolved soon.
Happy camping from Norway

I don't think that bending it is a problem however I'm no expert but simply nipping ( tightening ) the bolts may not be a long term solution as i think anodising is to blame and reduces the earthing. An additional piece of cable is required from earth shunt to the M8 or M10 insert located in the wheel arch, plus clean all points of contact. Clean paint away on arch & connect with a bolt & washer to sandwich cable. This may be the cause of the problem and would be an inexpensive way to solve it so you may want to give this a try first.
Hope this helps
Chris Leeds

Thank you Chris, I will try this fix first. Are there any requirements to the added earth cable I need to be aware of? The added cable is to go on the screw on the shunt closest to the front, right? I'm off to the hardware store to get the parts needed , and hopefully this will do the trick.

Thanks to the community for sharing valuable info on this site. :thanks

Erling

Hello guys,I have a 2009 Cali,and have had the flickering lights and control panel thing for a few months,though my van shouldn't be affected .The batteries aren't holding their charge well and seem to run down much quicker than they used to,
There is an eArth strap in the bottom right back corner of the cupboard under the sink!is this the earth shunt ?
Most folks seem to say its under the fridge,which I just can't see at all.can anyone enlighten me on where exactly to look before I start taking things apart,please
Many thanks
Kevin

Hello

The Earth shunt repair lid is supposed to be under the fridge indeed.

You have to remove the cover inside the cupboard on the right bottom side of the fridge. Than the wheel arch is visible (with difficulties, of course.). On the arch you will see either the empty hole (10mm diameter, I think), or a cable lid connected to the arch. The hole is normally designated for the seat belt, not in use in Cali.

The symptoms you have are typical for the Earth Shunt issue.

Regards
Andrzej

Back