Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxilliary / Alternator Belt / Power Steering Failure - another 2015 140ps Beach story

Bruce Jolliffe

Bruce Jolliffe

Vehicle
T5 Beach
We're on our third failed belt. At 35,000 miles.

First failed on twisty mountain roads near Anso in the Pyrenees in May 2017, at 20,000 miles. Belt (spaghettified) and tensioner replaced under euro-warranty.

Second failed crossing a roundabout driving into the town of Sort in the Pyrenees at the end of June 2018, at 35,000 miles. Belt (spaghettified) and seized pulley replaced, vehicle only under UK warranty, repair done in local garage, receipts retained.

Third failed negotiating speed bumps 8 or 9 days later exiting Barcelona Airport Terminal 2, at 35,000 miles and a wee bit. I looked under the bonnet straight away and saw once again no belt around pulleys etc. We're still waiting on a 'diagnosis' 5 days later. Not sure what the hold up in the VW dealer examination result is.

All have occurred in 2nd gear, which has always felt slightly wrong in this vehicle, not enough torque low down and prone to stalling despite 1st gear revs being more than high enough when leaving it.

I've read too many threads relating to belt failure issues in these 2014/2015 era 'last of the T5s'.

I've also noticed a few threads where the belts are going at low speeds and on mountain roads.

Are these issues connected or am I conflating unrelated things?

This vehicle has now spent more time in garages in 3 years than my old T4 did in 12.

We want to follow this up thoroughly through the case we've opened with VW Customer Care in the UK and the dealer we bought it through (new as an ex-demonstrator with 27 miles on it). We're seeking advice on successfully remedied similar issues and how folks managed to get that success.

VW Customer Care are not instilling much confidence in their support.

Thanks

Probably of no help but my 2015 T5 panel van (manual) has successfully completed 84k with any belt problems, seems a touch noisy sometimes though. My 2015 Beach (DSG) has only done 16k and we’ve only had it since February this year, no known belt problems yet although it has had a couple of recalls carried out that I don’t know what they were for.
This leads in to my next piece of information that I know of another 2015 panel van owner has had a recall done for the auxiliary belt and tensioner.

I keep meaning to enquire whether either van needs or has had a recall for the belt and tensioner.

If you need anymore info such had engine codes and build dates let me know, I can also ask a few more panel van drivers about it as well.

Our 2014SE 140 belt mangled last year in Cornwall due to failure of the tensioner - approx 37000 miles. A week later VW issued a recall. So it got replaced twice, once by local garage in Cornwall (as part of RAC warranty we got when we purchased the van) and then a few weeks later by SMG Cowfold under the recall as they could not be sure if the new tensioner fitted by the RAC garage met the standards set for the recall parts.

These belts probably take quite a lot of strain when air con is on, power steering is being used a lot at low speeds and with the high amp blue motion alternator kicking in and out.

Fingers crossed all been OK since :)

Mine was in for a squeaky belt last week and they replaced the belt and pulleys as ‘part of an upgrade’

Update... we've been given bad news by the garage in Spain. Not going to see our California for some time. Several weeks we're told.

Third alternator belt failure has caused some knock on effects, e.g. timing belts, v-pulley replacement and at least engine inspection required (cylinder head mentioned).

UK Commercials Customer Care have been... rubbish frankly. VW España are trying to talk warranties with factory (Hannover?) apparently, far better service - though still we are in limbo and it all sounds very expensive.

Interesting to hear about Air Con and low speeds. Each failure has been at low speed, in areas of high air con demand. E.g. Speed bumps, roundabouts, hairpin bends and all in Spain.

I now have no vehicle for my family holiday or work in the near future. Flying home early in a few days, leaving Eddy Van (yes he has a name) in Barcelona with the surgeon.

If the California is a dream... i want to wake up.

Back