Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Damage under warranty

J

John Dean

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have had my Cali for 18 months and only used the awning about 10 times, always carefully and no issues with excessive wind etc.
So, recently I noticed that the rear bracket had come apart ( both pot rivets had disappeared). The awning still seemed fairly secure, but my my local dealer ( who supplied the van), said the only reason for the bracket failing would be wind damage and therefore refuses to fix it under guarantee. In fact, they removed it, saying it wasn't safe and there was some damage to the casing from the added strain on the front bracket. Theit solution, was "buy a new awning at £700 +_".
I am not very happy, has anyone else experienced problems with the rivets holding the brackets together ?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
John

Do you have any pictures ?
The awning is screwed/bolted to the bracket and
the bracket is screwed/bolted to the van.
I can´t visualise any rivets.

Skærmbillede 2018-12-17 kl. 17.41.25.png

It must be the rivets holding the brackets together? Otherwise, there is only bolts – one bolt holding the Awning to each Bracket. And three bolts holding each bracket to the chassis. The Awning casing is "hanging" on the brackets.

I have never heard of any who broke the bracket. And if it was caused by strong winds, the awning itself would be torn apart a long time before the rivets break out. It's nonsense to my ear. Either its a warranty case by build fault or someone tried to remove the rivets to steal the awning (unlikely) or you have hit something (that would probably have left marks elsewhere).

In all, it sounds that you only need a new pair of brackets (if they are not fixable with new rivets). Not very nice handling by your (former) dealer …

But pictures might clarify

Last edited:
Not very nice handling by your (former) dealer …

And it is VW, not the dealer who decides if it is a warranty claim surely. The dealer gets VW to authorise a warranty repair. I can not see how the brackets and awning would not be damaged if as your dealer is claiming it was wind damage. If just the rivets have come out is it not just a re-rivet job.

Sounds like someone tried to steal it

Sorry for the thread resurrection, however I am in the same boat, picked up my used Cali on Saturday and noticed min has also broken on the rivets. My conclusion is the awning is fitted to far back and causing strain on the rivets in the bracket, I am going to ask the dealer to sort it and move it forwards a foot.

Thought I’d post this in case anyone else has the same problem and maybe for others to go out and check theirs.

Here a couple of shots of my Cali. All is working well. It looks as if your awning has been twisted - maybe storm damage?
The actual awning looks as if its in the correct place and should not need moving along a foot or so.
The rubber seal between the awning and the Cali also looks as if become dislodged - that needs sorting out too or you will have water dribbling between the awning and your van. Not ideal. If it were me, and my van was still in warranty I would just take it to the dealer and ask them to sort it out. I would not even suggest how they might sort it. Its not your problem its theirs. Let us know how you get on and with which dealer. All the best.

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

Sorry for the thread resurrection, however I am in the same boat, picked up my used Cali on Saturday and noticed min has also broken on the rivets. My conclusion is the awning is fitted to far back and causing strain on the rivets in the bracket, I am going to ask the dealer to sort it and move it forwards a foot.

Thought I’d post this in case anyone else has the same problem and maybe for others to go out and check theirs.

View attachment 43928
I doubt whether the dealer will move the bracket. They are very constrained by what they are “allowed” to do, nothing non standard! Also I think the brackets position is fixed by the mounting point on the roof.

You are correct there the bolt holes in the roof along with the arm dictate it can only go in one position the brackets are about £60 each

You are correct there the bolt holes in the roof along with the arm dictate it can only go in one position the brackets are about £60 each

Just to update everyone. I have asked my dealer to fix the damaged awning, at a quoted price of £300 +, whicgh does seem outrageous, but cheaper than replacing the whole awning. They are fitting new brackets front and back and somehow, repairing the awning housing, where it has been bent ( not sure about this).
Definitely, it was the the rivets (which hold the brackets together), which had broken. If your awning housing is not damaged, you should only need brackets and could fit them yourself.

Cheers

John

can't you just buy a rivet gun and some pop rivets and bang them back in yourself? it's very simple job

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the bracket has sheared. New bracket or just make up a new piece.

Could it be that the awning has been opened too far without
the legs going down resulting in the rivets snapping ?

Could it be that the awning has been opened too far without
the legs going down resulting in the rivets snapping ?
I can see that is a real possibility. All the forces generated would shear the top rivets and eventually pop the bottom ones.

My dealer is going to fix it by replacing the bracket and sorting the rubber strip out. I only got it Saturday so I’m guessing this is a one off for me.

Thank you all for your replies.

Just to update everyone. I have asked my dealer to fix the damaged awning, at a quoted price of £300 +, whicgh does seem outrageous, but cheaper than replacing the whole awning. They are fitting new brackets front and back and somehow, repairing the awning housing, where it has been bent ( not sure about this).
Definitely, it was the the rivets (which hold the brackets together), which had broken. If your awning housing is not damaged, you should only need brackets and could fit them yourself.

Cheers

John
Hopefully they are replacing and not repairing the casing for that amount of money. Replacement casing is just over £200 in the club shop.

Resurrection of this thread:

Whilst inspecting the roof and photographing, prior to a visit to the dealer to have a rusty roof seal replaced under warranty I noticed:

Wind out awning Rear bracket, rear most Pop rivet head missing!

Dealer confirmed this is a known issue and will replace the whole bracket under warranty.

Dealer did not have a new bracket In stock and have to order a new one , but I have in writing from the dealer:

“Still to be done under warranty:
Renew awning bracket”

So it would appear the issue of the missing pop rivet head / rear bracket is a known issue and is a warranty replacement item.