Awning Bracket has poor fit

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I just got the 4th awning mounted within a little more than a year. Long story short: The two first fell apart in the awning fabric glued/welded seem - well-known issue. On the third the fabric was in one piece, so Thule has improved the product - finally. But the dealer, unfortunately, made a huge scratch in the awning, so they agreed to change it again. So they did.

I had by then discovered that the rear bracket was not sitting snug like the one in the front. Actually, the roof was resting on the bracket, and not able to close as tight as supposed, resing close to the chassis.

I asked the dealer to fix it, but they did not. When home I saw it was still not optimal, and decided to remove the awning at fixing it myself. BUT it became clear that it is not doable! The bracket is mounted on the chassis, under the roof.

The bracket is simply not very well made OR not meant for this build?

How is the bracket mounted on your T6? Any advice or documentation are very apreiciated.

IMG_6063.JPG IMG_6066.JPG

How is the bracket mounted on your T6? Any advice or documentation are very apreiciated.
that is how they are fitted on mine

Last edited:
I am after an awning and spoke to Nick at the forum shop. He said that if I want the Fiamma one, I would need to do a bit of work on the bracket to make it fit. He thought that VW may have made changes for the T6.

I may need to look at a used one instead.

I just got the 4th awning mounted within a little more than a year. Long story short: The two first fell apart in the awning fabric glued/welded seem - well-known issue. On the third the fabric was in one piece, so Thule has improved the product - finally. But the dealer, unfortunately, made a huge scratch in the awning, so they agreed to change it again. So they did.

I had by then discovered that the rear bracket was not sitting snug like the one in the front. Actually, the roof was resting on the bracket, and not able to close as tight as supposed, resing close to the chassis.

I asked the dealer to fix it, but they did not. When home I saw it was still not optimal, and decided to remove the awning at fixing it myself. BUT it became clear that it is not doable! The bracket is mounted on the chassis, under the roof.

The bracket is simply not very well made OR not meant for this build?

View attachment 26773 View attachment 26774
Henrik, mine is exactly the same as yours (except with more leaves!). I am guessing one of the reasons the bracket is this shape is to aid the flowing of water from the roof and also because the awning is straight and the roof of the Cali is curved. This will mean the two brackets for the awning have to take up/allow for some of the curvature.

Henrik, mine is exactly the same as yours (except with more leaves!). I am guessing one of the reasons the bracket is this shape is to aid the flowing of water from the roof and also because the awning is straight and the roof of the Cali is curved. This will mean the two brackets for the awning have to take up/allow for some of the curvatures.

HAHA … I just spend hours cleaning the car, but on that note, it is still very dirty in the picture - maybe new glasses are due to me! I thought the same about the curve and water drainage, but then, on the other hand, the roof is actually resting on the bracket …

HAHA … I just spend hours cleaning the car, but on that note, it is still very dirty in the picture - maybe new glasses are due to me! I thought the same about the curve and water drainage, but then, on the other hand, the roof is actually resting on the bracket …
You are right and I do worry a little about that because it creates a point contact for the seal and I already noticed some chaffing of the roof seal in the area of the front bracket - keeping an eye on this!

Henrik , seems it looks thesame on my 2012 SE so it's not a T6 issue but normal i guess....
IMG_7422.JPG

Mine is like this. Must say it doesn’t look right and that corner of the roof is sitting on the bracket. I usually give it a ‘thump’ to try and get it to sit a bit tighter.
As an aside, this is a replacement for the original joined up seam version but it does rattle a lot. Rather annoying. I cannot see the poorly fitting seal/bracket but I cannot not hear it whilst driving!6EB95D47-9DC8-4AFC-8B17-5D653CA44144.jpeg

Here's a impression on how the seal suffers due the fact the awning bracket on my 2012 SE so afther 5y not all that much to see (been washing the Cali just today)
Nothing to worry ....you need a close look to see where the seal has a minor dent.
Front :
IMG_6617.JPG

Rear:
IMG_6618.JPG

Back