Awning decisions

• Thread starter Roger_rioja1969
  • Start date
Roger_rioja1969

Roger_rioja1969

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All - I have a couple of questions on awnings (as a newbie, please do forgive my ignorance!).

- How resilient is the fitted wind out to adverse weather (wind and rain - typical UK summer weather)? I have bought some hold down straps (!) from the club shop on the advice of Will and Sarah, but a friend told me there can be issues with the wind out awning pooling rain and sagging.
-If there is pretty good resilience, and for shorter trips, I am contemplating some side walls for convenience - are they easy to remove and store for a day off site to give a bit of flexibility? And would they be suitable for a week's trip? We don't want to pack up every time we go out, so I was also thinking of a simple pop up storage tent - thoughts very welcome :)
- Finally - if we decide to go down the 'something more substantial' route - drive away versus independent tent?

Thanks all

Roger

We have a Vango Palm Air beam drive away awning, not too big but for other than 3+ days or when more touring involved, yes a bit if a faff, so we leave it at home.
We ( and me single handed on occasion ) have just used the wind out awning, but in all but the calmest of days it can blow about , not the overall structure and you mentioned you have the additional ‘tie downs, but flapping along the sides.Ive found that a bit disconcerting.
We recently purchased a Vango Family TC Windbreak and are currently hoping that should give us some added privacy , but haven’t used it yet.
We also thought about the Comfort Room , fast to erect and enough space for our needs, but as it attaches to the ‘wind out’ side supports, ( thus under the awning material ) it doesn’t negate the ‘flapping affect’
I might add , we are Scottish and do lots of UK trips and Ireland so ‘weather’ is an issue …. lol

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5726.jpeg

Our first trip out using the factory fitted wind out awning and recently purchased Outwell panels and Thule hold down straps.
We are in Anglesey and both nights have been horrendous. Strong winds and heavy rain.
The set up shown held up really well. A huge rain water pooled on top of the canopy which I discharged with a mighty push.
We also have a Movelite T3 Euro blow up awning but have decided only to use when we need more sleeping space for grandkids.
20240705_145235.jpg

Thank you - that all makes a lot of sense...I've read a few other posts and it seems that peace of mind can be obtained by winding the fiamma in. The Outwell panels look like a sensible 'half way house' solution and they're very reasonably priced too. We're still learning...it will take a while I'm sure. I'm beginning to wonder if a 'decathlon' store tent might save the faff of bringing things in when going out or of a night time. How are the midges in your neck of the woods? We got hammered by horse flies last week on a 'day out' - we live in the Midlands.

Oh and I meant to mention that we have also considered a Cinch pop up tent, not cheap but looks worth considering.
Having said all that once you start delving further into Cinch the customer service when issues arise and ‘waiting time’ on orders all seems a bit iffy !
Then there are the issues of sites who state ‘no pop ups’ as additionals, or no sewn in ground sheets ( although our DA awning isn’t) or just no ground sheet at all !!!

Our first trip out using the factory fitted wind out awning and recently purchased Outwell panels and Thule hold down straps.
We are in Anglesey and both nights have been horrendous. Strong winds and heavy rain.
The set up shown held up really well. A huge rain water pooled on top of the canopy which I discharged with a mighty push.
We also have a Movelite T3 Euro blow up awning but have decided only to use when we need more sleeping space for grandkids.
View attachment 125778
Like your set up, did you have no ‘flapping affect’ on the awning or is it maybe that the side panels help with that.

The hold down straps make a huge difference. There was a bit of flapping, but we sleep up top and the noise of the wind and rain on the pop top was much louder. Having said that, we have slept really. I think there is something therapeutic about being warm and cosy with just some canvas protecting you.
The several glasses of wine and beer helps

Just had a look at the Cinch - looks quite nifty with simple set up and take down etc.

Thank you - that all makes a lot of sense...I've read a few other posts and it seems that peace of mind can be obtained by winding the fiamma in. The Outwell panels look like a sensible 'half way house' solution and they're very reasonably priced too. We're still learning...it will take a while I'm sure. I'm beginning to wonder if a 'decathlon' store tent might save the faff of bringing things in when going out or of a night time. How are the midges in your neck of the woods? We got hammered by horse flies last week on a 'day out' - we live in the Midlands.
I bought a Quecha Arpenaz 4 man shelter, having tried various solutions, as we tend to do 2 nights max at a time on a given site.

So far so good.

Driveaways work best when you are staying put for a bit I think. But people have different views on this!

Cinch is great - disc-shaped bag sits well behind the bench seat. Get the stone colour - the neon green attracts insects.
The Thule Sunblocker panels are good shades and wind/rainbreaks, take 2mins to put up and 3 mins to pack away.
You don’t get ponding on the awning if you put one leg significantly higher than the other.

Cinch very good - and the groundsheet is easily removed if sites don’t want it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All - I have a couple of questions on awnings (as a newbie, please do forgive my ignorance!).

- How resilient is the fitted wind out to adverse weather (wind and rain - typical UK summer weather)? I have bought some hold down straps (!) from the club shop on the advice of Will and Sarah, but a friend told me there can be issues with the wind out awning pooling rain and sagging.
-If there is pretty good resilience, and for shorter trips, I am contemplating some side walls for convenience - are they easy to remove and store for a day off site to give a bit of flexibility? And would they be suitable for a week's trip? We don't want to pack up every time we go out, so I was also thinking of a simple pop up storage tent - thoughts very welcome :)
- Finally - if we decide to go down the 'something more substantial' route - drive away versus independent tent?

Thanks all

Roger
In order.

1 The wind out is fine for sun and showers. You would not want to sit outside when it’s proper raining. Straps. We bought as well. Used once. Now in the garage. If it’s raining that bad we don’t use the awning.

2 Easy to use. Very small. As per straps. We have front and sides. Never used.

3 We have a pop up storage “festival” tent. Use every trip to decant child seats etc.

4 I’d say drive away. Easy to put up and store. Links to van so one connected room feel and some sites whiny about separate tents. We use when staying 2 to 3 nights or more. Time of year and location dependant.

I use Thule rain blocker sides and have had then up in some really poor weather. They also do a residence room for the awning which looks really good but is about £1400.
As said, having the awning legs at different heights prevents pooling. Using the tie downs and the Thule side pegging points makes the awning very stable. The sides also help to stop the wind getting under the awning.

I note your point about having the awning legs at different heights. I set the legs so that the awning sloped away from the van but the rainwater still pooled.
How much difference in height do you set the awning legs ?

About 200mm but if you look out from the upper bed you can see the water running off. Once it starts to pool it usually needs a bit more angle as the awning stretches slightly.

This can help prevent sagging (don’t get the Thule one, it’s expensive rubbish..very bulky and length can’t be adjusted):

Last edited:
It’s much more effective to set one leg high and the other low, so the water runs towards the front or back of the van.
I've always done that and was happily sitting in the van at the weekend as the torrential rain gave way to hail (British July...). While the rain had been running off nicely, the hail accumulated very quickly so I ended up with a nice bulge. Luckily I noticed before any damage was done

I've always done that and was happily sitting in the van at the weekend as the torrential rain gave way to hail (British July...). While the rain had been running off nicely, the hail accumulated very quickly so I ended up with a nice bulge. Luckily I noticed before any damage was done
Ahh yes never had mine out in hail I don’t think. Different animal - ice doesn’t flow!

We have tried a Tailgate drive away awning and sold it (outdoor evolution Cayman Tail). It was too fiddly to erect and dismantle.
I now have a Pack A Shack that quickly goes over the open tailgate to provide extra space whilst touring.
We have experimented with a separate Tent, I bought a Robens Prospector Shack, Cotton Canvas tent with a Log Burner so I could be warm, dry and have unlimited hot water whilst off grid. The tent is not for touring, but for a week or more in one place it is excellent although I think heavy but not as heavy as these airbeam ones. The robens is a 6 berth tent but is better divided up with a 3 person inner and a living space. you can't beat sleeping with a log burner slowly glowing in the corner.

Back