Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tent instead of an awning?

Also seem to be some good deals on eBay for the vango attar 380 & 440. Think it’s an older model though

Solace 400 Tent
https://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.u...o-2017-tents-airbeam-solace-tc-400-nutmeg.jpg
Found a good deal on this, it’s poly cotton and almost the same as the galli I suppose. Just doesn’t have the awning attachment. What do you guys think?
I think we’re telling you to get a Cinch, but you know what you use your van for, where you go, what you take with you and how many people you carry. You know what works best for you.
One thing this forum tells us is how different we all are. I found out today about a grit guard you put at the bottom of a bucket. Nuts. But I’ve bought some snow soap stuff!

An awning can be a life saver during inclement weather especially if you have kids or dogs or you like to have somwhere to meet friends. The rest of the time they are a PITA

They are usually bulky, heavy and take up far too.much space. Also awnings are usually a faff to put up and take down and require storing when not in use, that is after you have re-errected it at home to dry it out!!!

However, if you really need one, I alson don't see the attraction in connecting it to the van. We have a Vango Galli low airbeam awning but have only ever connected it once. It was a right old faff and had to be disconnected everytime we went out.

So a separate tent would be ideal IMO.

An awning can be a life saver during inclement weather especially if you have kids or dogs or you like to have somwhere to meet friends. The rest of the time they are a PITA

They are usually bulky, heavy and take up far too.much space. Also awnings are usually a faff to put up and take down and require storing when not in use, that is after you have re-errected it at home to dry it out!!!

However, if you really need one, I alson don't see the attraction in connecting it to the van. We have a Vango Galli low airbeam awning but have only ever connected it once. It was a right old faff and had to be disconnected everytime we went out.

So a separate tent would be ideal IMO.
There is also the associated phenomenon of ‘awning creep’ whereby because we have the awning we will just bring this-or-that because there is space, which adds to the packing time at both ends.

There is also the associated phenomenon of ‘awning creep’ whereby because we have the awning we will just bring this-or-that because there is space, which adds to the packing time at both ends.

Because our awning is such a lump, I usually use a trailer. That opens up a whole new world of "Awning Creep" possbilities as there's room for all sorts of extra stuff. Mrs B has added lots of extras to our list of "essentials" as a result.

You're right, it takes ages to pack everything up which does nothing to improve the camping experience.

Last edited:
Struggling to find anyone with a driveaway awning in stock, I am now considering getting a normal air beam tent and bridging the gap with the wind out awning of the van.
The benefit would never reduced faff connecting/disconnecting the van.
The drawback would be a gap without side panels between the van and tent.

has anyone tried this set up and could provide insight?

thanks
Justkampers seem to have some awnings in stock now:

Back