Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning or not

Phil66

Phil66

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
What are peoples views on the use of drive away awnings. They all seem a real faff to put up etc but the additional space seems a significant bonus.

For me it seems to defeat the purpose of the van, at least as I bought it, tend to do only 1 or 2 night stops and stay in hotel/cottage/permanent tent etc for longer stops.

We have always treated the van as a day van you can sleep in rather than a camper first, so works for us, hence why now in a beach from the SE.

Bought one many years ago and have used it once! Will probably use it more in the coming years, as the kids are getting bigger, but only if we were staying more than a couple of days.
Best thing is awning room for the wind out awning. I have used that so many times and it's small enough just to leave in the van all year round.

If you get one I'd recommend getting an airbeam awning. Once you've tried it you'll never want to go back to pole constructed tent.
I'd say the opposite! We had an airbeam tent and whilst putting it up was a breeze (no pun intended!) putting it away was a pain...getting all the air out, and it's so heavy, we said we'd never go airbeam again! Mind you, we only have a small poled awning now, I guess if we had something larger erecting it would be a hassle (oooerrr).

If we stay more than 1 or 2 nights its a really great addition - gives us lots more space especially if we've taken kayaks as we store them out of sight in the awning.

Airbeams are a must, makes it so quick to put up and take down.

Only negative is that we've been unlucky with the weather on our last couple of trips and it can be a bit difficult getting it dried.

We have the comfortz room. I know it’s not a drive away awning but we have found it incredibly useful over the 6 years we have owned it. Of coarse you will have to have a roll out awning fitted.
We use ours as a cooking area plus extra storage for bikes etc.
We were on a site a few days ago and a couple with a T6 camper conversion had their airbeam awning explode early in the morning. Frightening the life out of them. Don’t know if it was repairable or not.

What are peoples views on the use of drive away awnings. They all seem a real faff to put up etc but the additional space seems a significant bonus.
Ours works a treat for us and our children when staying for 3+days away. We dont bother with it for shorter stays.

A proper faff. If you want to put away a giant wet tent, why did you buy a van?
The feeling in the morning of opening the van door and looking at the world is part of campervan life. Do you want the inside of a tent to be your view?
An awning makes the wind out awning a waste of space. Get a Cinch.
What’s the point in taking all your life with you? There’s various threads about the crappola people bought then never used. I love sitting in the doorway looking at the world.
Others feel differently.

I found an inflatable awning to be the biggest waste of money. First trip it was fine, second came back and to find it partially collapsed due to puncture. 3 rd trip to more punctures and the zip holding the air dam broke.

I found an inflatable awning to be the biggest waste of money. First trip it was fine, second came back and to find it partially collapsed due to puncture. 3 rd trip to more punctures and the zip holding the air dam broke.
What awning was this?

A proper faff. If you want to put away a giant wet tent, why did you buy a van?
The feeling in the morning of opening the van door and looking at the world is part of campervan life. Do you want the inside of a tent to be your view?
An awning makes the wind out awning a waste of space. Get a Cinch.
What’s the point in taking all your life with you? There’s various threads about the crappola people bought then never used. I love sitting in the doorway looking at the world.
Others feel differently.
I just ticked this to agree but then realised the last line says others think differently which is true and I agree with that but I don't think differently about awnings. Now I'm confused.

I just ticked this to agree but then realised the last line says others think differently which is true and I agree with that but I don't think differently about awnings. Now I'm confused.
When I’ve expressed a strong opinion, which after all is what the OP was after, I’m aware some may feel equally strong the other way. If I acknowledge it, I hope it stops arguments occurring.

I am also aware our van use is different to a lot of people. We mainly use our van to go to France and Spain. Places where the weather is good. People who mainly camp in the UK may want an awning to shelter from the rain.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses. Clearly people are split in terms of the merits or not of using a drive away. Views in our house are equally split with wife thinking awning essential and me not being convinced. In any event it is very helpful for a new owner like me to be able to get advice/views from more experienced folk on this forum. Many thanks.

When I’ve expressed a strong opinion, which after all is what the OP was after, I’m aware some may feel equally strong the other way. If I acknowledge it, I hope it stops arguments occurring.

I am also aware our van use is different to a lot of peoples. We mainly use our van to go to France and Spain. Places where the weather is good. People who mainly camp in the UK may want an awning to shelter from the rain.
Sorry... I was just joking. :happy

But the OP sums it up - awnings create extra space but are a faff to put up and take down. Not much to debate really. If you want/need the extra space then take one, if not, not.

Everyone is different. We only travel as a couple (plus the dog), and very rarely stay more than one night in one place, so an awning is never going to make it onto our packing list. If we were going to stay put longer somewhere, and with a family, that would be different.

Instead of a drive-away awning we have a Khyam quick-erect screen house (I think Khyam may have stopped making this model but they have a similar product). We’ve had it for years and it is still as good as new. It takes no time at all to put up or take down (5 mins max). If we were going to stay for longer than a couple of nights we would use it and set up a camp kitchen, table and chairs and also use it to keep things out of sight. But, no faff having to attach and detach it if we want to use the van and no spoiled view either. For us, the perfect compromise.

Hi
We had exactly the same dilemma, having looked at the drive-aways and the cost for a decent one... we decided to wait a while and get a feel for how we use the van. We went for the comfort awning sides instead initially, but to be honest we haven't used them very much.....however, we did get a cinch and use it very regularly. Having had both of these and we've now used the van for >50 nights I don't think we will bother with a drive away, although I have to say they do look good ;)

Pro's & cons (my view)

Cinch pop up
- good if you want storage space and stay on grass pitches regularly (and not bothered about the colour scheme) and stay in the same location for 3-4 nights or more

Comfort side panels
- good if you regularly use the wind out awning on a site and move after a day or two, or don't move the van early each day

Drive away
- good if you stay in one place for a week and want additional 'home space', ideal for >2 people . Great flexibility of going out every day

We are really happy with the cinch, we basically only use it for storage so we have an easy get away in the morning for hill walking. We pitch it a bit away from the van so we get the views from the side door and can still sit in the sun or under the wind out awning. The comfort panels fit in the tailgate storage so take up no room and are there if ever we need them, I think we will do so more in winter!

That said, we are 2 adults and a dog (with crate), I think if we had kids and certainly if a dog too, I would have a drive-away. The Vango Magra would be my choice.

I ended up saying more than I intended then, but I hope this may help someone...

Enjoy x

I bought an awning room from campervanbits. Worth a look!! Used it last week. Even people next to us commented on the fast setup!! Quick to take down again to go touring! Would highly recommend!! 37F5BA28-9603-4D9B-8E77-02696A791784.jpeg

Tried the awning with our previous T5. Proper air beam but we ended up carrying too much stuff because we had the space. Moved to a T6 Beach now and as others have said, we use it for a few nights at a time on the move. Works for us.

Awnings are TENTS…!!!
Bloody hate them.
It’s camping. We are either outside enjoying the fresh air, or in the pub.

285E6A21-68AC-4931-97EF-E272C73140B2.jpeg

Like everything its a matter of needs. I bought a Vango drive away awning. It was under £300 (from memory) and its poles not air. Its not the best design. Yes its a faff putting it up (takes about 30 mins) and a bigger faff taking it down when its still wet (even in hot weather the dew can take an hour or two to 'burn off'). But when its up it does make a difference to the space you have, and privacy. Its a god send if you have a dog and its raining (or a porta potti)!! Personal preferences.

We have a not-very-good-quality drive-away awning. We don't use it very often because usually we only stay a couple of nights in one place. But it is useful if we are staying longer and will need to use the van to get about, and also useful on a site with no facilities - last used it at Borrowdale CMC site in the Lakes, no facilities plus raining, glad to have it. Otherwise we have the Comfortz awning sides which are versatile and quick to put up. But if the weather's nice we don't need anything.

Back