Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning orientation?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After months of faffing around looking at different awnings with thoughts of do we, don't we, frame or air-beam, today we finally made a decision. We had a day out in Margot our gorgeous SE and whilst driving through Sussex we happened upon a Caravan and Motorhome dealers. Long story short, we bought a Vango Galli Low and some other related accessories.

If you are not familiar with this awning, the Vango Galli, when fitted to a California, runs parallel to it and not at right angles like most other awnings. Now the dealer only had the version that has the main front opening facing towards the rear of the vehicle when fitted to a California. (The other version would face towards the front on a California). I suppose they mainly stock this model as the vast majority of UK motor homes and campervans have their accomodation access door on the near side therefore this model would normally have the main opening facing towards the front of the van. Any way after thinking about which type we would ideally want, we decided to buy mainly because they had it in stock but also because they did us a stonking good bundle deal. Our thinking is that we would prefer to have the main opening next to the rear of the vehicle, where most of our clobber is stored. With this version it's easier to get items out of the van without making endless circuits of our Cali. Also as the C and MH club sites that we have visited usually insist that awning is on the right, a Cali must always face into the plot with the front N/S corner adjacent to the peg otherwise you're are really asking for trouble. With the version that we have purchased the awning opening would face the access track.

Sorry about the long preamble but my question is - Does it really matter which version you have or have we been a pair of chumps?

P.s We haven't opened it yet so in theory we could take it back and swop it for the other version if they can get one.

Last edited:
My initial thinking is that if I had a free choice I would choose your version for the exact reason you give. Access to the rear of the van is more frequent than use of the front door for me.

My initial thinking is that if I had a free choice I would choose your version for the exact reason you give. Access to the rear of the van is more frequent than use of the front door for me.
Thanks Walrus. That's reassuring.
We've now got to find somewhere grassy to do test fitting. I don't fancy turning up on a camp site and getting in a pickle trying to erect the awning for the first time whilst all those caravan curtains are twitching. :thumb

If you do change your mind Paul we sell the correct Galli for the Cali ( RH Door) , and actually have them back in stock the middle of next week.

As with all drive away awnings we will beat any other price if you are a VIP member on all Vango and Outdoor Revolution models - Just give us a call.

After months of faffing around looking at different awnings with thoughts of do we, don't we, frame or air-beam, today we finally made a decision. We had a day out in Margot our gorgeous SE and whilst driving through Sussex we happened upon a Caravan and Motorhome dealers. Long story short, we bought a Vango Galli Low and some other related accessories.

If you are not familiar with this awning, the Vango Galli, when fitted to a California, runs parallel to it and not at right angles like most other awnings. Now the dealer only had the version that has the main front opening facing towards the rear of the vehicle when fitted to a California. (The other version would face towards the front on a California). I suppose they mainly stock this model as the vast majority of UK motor homes and campervans have their accomodation access door on the near side therefore this model would normally have the main opening facing towards the front of the van. Any way after thinking about which type we would ideally want, we decided to buy mainly because they had it in stock but also because they did us a stonking good bundle deal. Our thinking is that we would prefer to have the main opening next to the rear of the vehicle, where most of our clobber is stored. With this version it's easier to get items out of the van without making endless circuits of our Cali. Also as the C and MH club sites that we have visited usually insist that awning is on the right, a Cali must always face into the plot with the front N/S corner adjacent to the peg otherwise you're are really asking for trouble. With the version that we have purchased the awning opening would face the access track.

Sorry about the long preamble but my question is - Does it really matter which version you have or have we been a pair of chumps?

P.s We haven't opened it yet so in theory we could take it back and swop it for the other version if they can get one.
I bought this one but the RHS version at the camper van and caravan show last October. I've put it up in the garden and seemed not to bad to erect but one bit advice I would say, is to position the awning and peg to the ground before inflating.

I think I agree about having the main entrance at the rear.

But perhaps we should consult a feng shui expert as well :Grin

If you do change your mind Paul we sell the correct Galli for the Cali ( RH Door) , and actually have them back in stock the middle of next week.

As with all drive away awnings we will beat any other price if you are a VIP member on all Vango and Outdoor Revolution models - Just give us a call.
Thanks I will bear that in mind.

Thanks Walrus. That's reassuring.
We've now got to find somewhere grassy to do test fitting. I don't fancy turning up on a camp site and getting in a pickle trying to erect the awning for the first time whilst all those caravan curtains are twitching. :thumb
Oh, what a spoil sport!
I love watching newbies put their awning up over a brew!
We provided entertainment for all when we put ours up the first time too:):):)

Oh, what a spoil sport!
I love watching newbies put their awning up over a brew!
We provided entertainment for all when we put ours up the first time too:):):)
Yes, I fear that we too will also be providing the entertainment when it first goes up. However my "cunning plan" is to have a bit of a practice before hand and then stun those watching with a precision display of utter slickness and professionalism.
In reality I'll probably just turn up and blunder through with manly over confidence, having not read the instructions first, get in a right old muddle and then resort to alcolhol to calm me down. :thumb

P.s ........and if this awning is any good it just might get used more than once.

I'm still not convinced that we have bought the right version though.

Last edited:
I had no idea that there are two versions of this awning, so very enlightening, thank you.
I think I would make the same choice as you, especially with the CMC issues.
Very interested to see how you get on with it?

Back