Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning shade

Worth looking at a camping tarp too. We got ours in Decathlon and sewed a kador edge strip to it to slide into awning channel - we’ve used it both sides of the van And as a separate shade away from van (not sure I got pics) - very handy. Cost total was less than £30.
Camping tarps are so versatile. To my mind much better than a bespoke shade. We have 2 from decathlon (both about 12 years old now and still going strong). We’ve used ours for all sorts.

You could make your own from Oxford tarp (same as tent material) various colours and sizes available (Amazon etc)

folded the pack is about the size of a Sandwich

a couple of additional knock in eyelets to provide some additional fixing points, some bungee balls to secure it to the awning and allow it to be pegged out is all you need to make it super practical.

pegging out helps keep the windout awning secure to the ground.

View attachment 88080

View attachment 88081
Shower curtain rings are also good for attaching things to roll out awning arms.

If you sew a full Kador strip to one side of a tarp it becomes quite bulky and more difficult to fold/store. If you sew cut strips it makes it much easier. Alternate the short strips with eyelet holes and you have a very flexible piece of kit that can you used in different ways, attached to the van or separate.

Thanks @Pro moochers for the review. Cheaper than a tank of gas so just ordered. I’m hoping for sunshine this year but if it tanks it down it’ll still be good:)

If you sew a full Kador strip to one side of a tarp it becomes quite bulky and more difficult to fold/store. If you sew cut strips it makes it much easier. Alternate the short strips with eyelet holes and you have a very flexible piece of kit that can you used in different ways, attached to the van or separate.

That’s a great tip

Thanks @Pro moochers for the review. Cheaper than a tank of gas so just ordered. I’m hoping for sunshine this year but if it tanks it down it’ll still be good:)

Haha I think the van is cheaper than a tank of fuel at the moment!
Enjoy

For side panels you can also use good quality shower curtains, it’s an effective and cheap solution and there’s lots of colours/designs available. There are 2 main ways to attach (the existing eyelets or slits are really handy):
  1. tie a cord or bungee from the end corner of the roll out awning to the place at the van where the awning casing is. Hang the curtain from the cord, you can tie with string, use clips or thread the cord through the clips. Using shower curtain rings here doesn’t work particularly well. The benefits of this method are:; it hangs square (so maximises under awning space); it can be drawn open or tied back easily (like a curtain, letting in more light/air), is quick and easy to close if modesty or privacy is required; if it’s not windy it can just hang and not be pegged down. If the panels hang straight down rain isn’t an issue.
  2. use the arms of the roll out awning to attach: can be tied on or shower curtain rings can be used (the oval shaped ones fit perfectly on the arm for a secure grip), the curtain will then need to be secured at an angle if you want to maximise awning space or it could hang down if you only need a small space for privacy (maybe for a loo, etc).
At the end where there’s no eyelets/slits you can secure down with tarp clips or stones/marbles and string/elastic ties.
If you want light rather than privacy you can get translucent curtains.
The fabric is easy to machine sew (as well as by hand) so you can connect kador or other attachments.
Shower curtains fold or roll up really small. Flat, they’re usually 180x180 cm.
IKEA have some sturdy plain grey shower curtains at £15 made of recycled polester https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tolfsen-shower-curtain-dark-grey-satin-stripe-60495300/

I did have loads of pics showing the different ways we use shower curtains but my old iPad went down and my iCloud went whappy. As we start getting out and about, I’ll take and post some new ones

Last edited:
For side panels you can also use good quality shower curtains, it’s an effective and cheap solution and there’s lots of colours/designs available. There are 2 main ways to attach (the existing eyelets or slits are really handy):
  1. tie a cord or bungee from the end corner of the roll out awning to the place at the van where the awning casing is. Hang the curtain from the cord, you can tie with string, use clips or thread the cord through the clips. Using shower curtain rings here doesn’t work particularly well. The benefits of this method are:; it hangs square (so maximises under awning space); it can be drawn open or tied back easily (like a curtain, letting in more light/air), is quick and easy to close if modesty or privacy is required; if it’s not windy it can just hang and not be pegged down. If the panels hang straight down rain isn’t an issue.
  2. use the arms of the roll out awning to attach: can be tied on or shower curtain rings can be used (the oval shaped ones fit perfectly on the arm for a secure grip), the curtain will then need to be secured at an angle if you want to maximise awning space or it could hang down if you only need a small space for privacy (maybe for a loo, etc).
At the end where there’s no eyelets/slits you can secure down with tarp clips or stones/marbles and string/elastic ties.
If you want light rather than privacy you can get translucent curtains.
The fabric is easy to machine sew (as well as by hand) so you can connect kador or other attachments.
Shower curtains fold or roll up really small. Flat, they’re usually 180x180 cm.
IKEA have some sturdy plain grey shower curtains at £15 made of recycled polester https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tolfsen-shower-curtain-dark-grey-satin-stripe-60495300/

I did have loads of pics showing the different ways we use shower curtains but my old iPad went down and my iCloud went whappy. As we start getting out and about, I’ll take and post some new ones

Is it not noisy in the wind?

We’ve now listed a new YouTube video showing you our thoughts on the new Cysgod awning shade product.
It’s the perfect addition to the larger side panel for your wind out awning

Cysgod awning shade review | VW California campervan

Back