Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driveaway Awning changeup, advice please

T

Traveller1977

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Looking for a replacement/upgrade drive away awning and advice on peoples set ups. Family of 4, 8 & 10yr olds, currently sleeping adult/child up and adult/child down.
We have had the original Kela I for a few years now, still in really really good condition overall, however very recently had to replace 2x main inner tubes and Brace beam where the rubber valve has perished.
It is a bulky piece to cart around, so we only tend to use it/take it when we think/know there will be rain (Europe usually don't take, UK we do) otherwise we just use the roll out awning for shade, a pop up tent to store the boxes/car boosters/toys/stuff and set up a tarp for additional Shelter if required.
We like the privacy the drive away awning gives, added space when the kids go to bed earlier than us, and it's handy when you need to drive away as it "Creates" the footprint at a busy campsite so you're not going to return with someone pitching in your space if the awning was not there (it has happened :) )
Also like the integrated/sewn in groundsheet for again when the weather turns. We really only use it for when the weather is due to be wet/windy.

- Never really managed to master the Kado Strip/Figure-8 attachment to the roll out awning, it's never created a good enough seal between Vango Kela 1 awning and Roll out awning when it rains.
- We've started to use the straps that go all the way over the Cali, but again when it's windy/wet it tends to "lift up" slightly not creating a good seal. The roof bar tabs seems a good way to go, I've seen on the Gybe Bus Tent this can be separated to drive away, but does the new Kela V allow this as a drive-away option? I cannot see if from their Video, but I see it mentions it has Roof Bar Attachment Tabs now.
- Roof Bar Attachment Tabs could be a better seal, and we like the inflatable options, but with the price of the new Vango Airbeam Kela V now being over £550-600 or so, I like the idea of the Gybe Bustent, it looks like a genuine seal between van and awning, disadvantage is there is not a sewn in groundsheet so I imagine if it rains/is windy this area could get wet more easily?

What are your set ups/preferences please? we've had the cali approx 10yrs, and still playing around with/perfecting the drive away awning options :) I guess with the kids growing up this changes all the time. All advice really appreciated.

Looking for a replacement/upgrade drive away awning and advice on peoples set ups. Family of 4, 8 & 10yr olds, currently sleeping adult/child up and adult/child down.
We have had the original Kela I for a few years now, still in really really good condition overall, however very recently had to replace 2x main inner tubes and Brace beam where the rubber valve has perished.
It is a bulky piece to cart around, so we only tend to use it/take it when we think/know there will be rain (Europe usually don't take, UK we do) otherwise we just use the roll out awning for shade, a pop up tent to store the boxes/car boosters/toys/stuff and set up a tarp for additional Shelter if required.
We like the privacy the drive away awning gives, added space when the kids go to bed earlier than us, and it's handy when you need to drive away as it "Creates" the footprint at a busy campsite so you're not going to return with someone pitching in your space if the awning was not there (it has happened :) )
Also like the integrated/sewn in groundsheet for again when the weather turns. We really only use it for when the weather is due to be wet/windy.

- Never really managed to master the Kado Strip/Figure-8 attachment to the roll out awning, it's never created a good enough seal between Vango Kela 1 awning and Roll out awning when it rains.
- We've started to use the straps that go all the way over the Cali, but again when it's windy/wet it tends to "lift up" slightly not creating a good seal. The roof bar tabs seems a good way to go, I've seen on the Gybe Bus Tent this can be separated to drive away, but does the new Kela V allow this as a drive-away option? I cannot see if from their Video, but I see it mentions it has Roof Bar Attachment Tabs now.
- Roof Bar Attachment Tabs could be a better seal, and we like the inflatable options, but with the price of the new Vango Airbeam Kela V now being over £550-600 or so, I like the idea of the Gybe Bustent, it looks like a genuine seal between van and awning, disadvantage is there is not a sewn in groundsheet so I imagine if it rains/is windy this area could get wet more easily?

What are your set ups/preferences please? we've had the cali approx 10yrs, and still playing around with/perfecting the drive away awning options :) I guess with the kids growing up this changes all the time. All advice really appreciated.
We have a Kela V but have only used it a couple of times. We connect it to the roll out awning using the figure of eight clipped directly to the upper edge of the wind out part of the cassette and then directly on to the awning. We no longer use the kador strip We find this gives the tunnel a couple of inches more height to clear the sliding door and gives a better run off for the water. We have no leaks.

We have a Kela V but have only used it a couple of times. We connect it to the roll out awning using the figure of eight clipped directly to the upper edge of the wind out part of the cassette and then directly on to the awning. We no longer use the kador strip We find this gives the tunnel a couple of inches more height to clear the sliding door and gives a better run off for the water. We have no leaks.
@Calihunter thanks for this. How have you found the roll out awning has faired in the rain? when we've had ours rolled out previously the legs didn't take the weight of the water pooling, even with a slight "tilt" on the angle so we haven't used this set up yet. I understand if the weather isn't wet but we tend to only use the Kela when it's raining or expected to rain.
Thanks again for your help.

@Calihunter thanks for this. How have you found the roll out awning has faired in the rain? when we've had ours rolled out previously the legs didn't take the weight of the water pooling, even with a slight "tilt" on the angle so we haven't used this set up yet. I understand if the weather isn't wet but we tend to only use the Kela when it's raining or expected to rain.
Thanks again for your help.
Hi Traveller,
When I use the roll out awning I start by rolling it out fully, I then peg out the guy lines and tension them slightly. Once this is done wind the awning back in slightly to take out the slack in the roof material. This also creates a larger gap between the awning bars and the roof material and stops the flapping noise when its windy. If rain is expected I drop the rear leg height considerably to ensure the rain runs off. Then go around and if needed re adjust the tension on the guy lines. I have never had an issue with water pooling using this method even in heavy rain.

,I like the idea of the Gybe Bustent, it looks like a genuine seal between van and awning, disadvantage is there is not a sewn in groundsheet so I imagine if it rains/is windy this area could get wet more easily?
Van roof is down in all the photos / video on the Gybe website. Looks like it joins to the T-track on top roof meaning you couldn't have the roof up with the awning connected (unless they do some sort of adaptor?). So worth doublechecking.

1625138098054.png

Gybe won’t deliver to UK anymore, and have no plans to do so in the near future sadly.

there is no solution for the foreseeable future since our logistic partner isn't offering shipment to the UK anymore and it's much too complicated for us to get the Bus Tents shipped over. When you have another shipping address in a country which is part of the European Union feel free to let us know.

Best Regards
Max Link

--

Max Link
COO

1625139356505.png GYBE® Trading GmbH
Rheinstraße 39 | 26382 Wilhelmshaven | Germany

tel: +49 (0) 4421 / 9878893 | fax: +49 (0) 4421 / 9878897 | www.gybe-design.com

Commercial registry: Amtsgericht Oldenburg HRB 205776 | CEO: Sven Mohr
Tax number: 70/200/48812 | Sales tax identification number: DE277568831

Back