Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning side panels

Away for a couple of nights in Somerset and while trying to decide between Fiamma, Comfortz or Bradrup side panels for the awning, we have cobbled this together from a tarpaulin for end panel and the Quechua tarp on the side. Bit messy I know but it does give us a bit of wind protection/privacy. We do have a Vango Kela but thought that a bit much for a 2 night stay.

Hi Cleve

The Quechua tarp is one large square which can be used in various combinations. There are 3 guy points on either side and one in the centre. We used a few kador off cuts to 'wedge' one side into the awning rail - this would work really well if you could sew a kador strip to the tarp. We then just used the guy points to tie it to the awning legs and tucked the excess in at the bottom. We have had a few gusts tonight and it's all still intact.

We used some off cut kador strips and wrapped one edge of the tarp around the thinner side and slid it into the awning rail effectively holding the tarp in place. We only had 3 pieces but it has held the tarp in place overnight. It's no substitute for properly fitted side panels but was a 'let's try it and see' solution. image.jpgimage.jpg

I have some custom made by Ulli at CalforniaCamping.. The originals to match the Mütze.

Now stock item.

Expensive but cracking kit. We've had them for over 5 years, use them all the time. Less than 5 minutes to put on and loads of space due to their shape unlike some of the others. Loads of option as they are made up of a few different panels.

This is without the front two panels.

View media item 409
California-Camping.de

These look great. Do you have the full set?

We use a Brandrup side panel for a quick wind-break or privacy option. I did think about buying an extra one but as they clip onto the wind-out awning rails it does limit the space under the awning a bit.

I balked at the price but it really is an excellent piece of kit, and takes minutes to attach, literally. I also bought a Decathlon Tarp (about £25!!) like many on here and sewed a Kador strip to one edge so that I can attach it to the wind-out awning.

_DSF0865.jpg IMG_2013.jpg

I like the look of these: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/thule-g2-smart-side-panels-vw-california-wind-awning

thule-rain-blocker.jpg

We use a Brandrup side panel for a quick wind-break or privacy option. I did think about buying an extra one but as they clip onto the wind-out awning rails it does limit the space under the awning a bit.

I balked at the price but it really is an excellent piece of kit, and takes minutes to attach, literally. I also bought a Decathlon Tarp (about £25!!) like many on here and sewed a Kador strip to one edge so that I can attach it to the wind-out awning.

View attachment 30387 View attachment 30388

What size Kador strip 6mm or 8mm?

View attachment 30387 View attachment 30388
Thank you, that looks great. Good old Decathlon! We are trying to decided between a drive away air awning or wind out awning side. I know they are different beasts but can't really justify both at the moment... And I'm not sure a drive away will be worth the hassle ...

Thank you, that looks great. Good old Decathlon! We are trying to decided between a drive away air awning or wind out awning side. I know they are different beasts but can't really justify both at the moment... And I'm not sure a drive away will be worth the hassle ...

You’re welcome! And yes, good old Decathlon, its my ‘go-to’ outdoorsy shop for just about everything!

I also use a separate tent if I’m away for a week or so, the one in the pic below is also a Decathlon one! Living space in the middle and a bedroom at either end, cost £99. I use one side for storage, the other as as a sleeping area, and we cook in the living section.

I’ve always said I’ll stay away from a driveaway awning. I’m paranoid about the awning scratching my paintwork, and I know from experience that lining the van up after a day out is a complete faff... However, I do keep looking at them longingly, so much room! I’m considering the idea of attaching it to the wind-up awning on the van (once its wound out) as opposed to to the van itself.

The separate tent is great but if it's raining its not ideal... That's when the driveaway awnings come into their own.

Decisions, decisions!!

_DSF1020.jpg

We are trying to decided between a drive away air awning or wind out awning side. I know they are different beasts but can't really justify both at the moment... And I'm not sure a drive away will be worth the hassle ...
We have both and have been happily hauling both around Europe with us since September. Both get used.

Comfortz awning panels.
Pros
- packs away to virtually nothing
- quick and easy to put up and pack away
Cons
- needs packing away with all luggage to drive away
- with luggage inside, little room for kitchen or dining are
- not wind or weather proof

Vango Kela III driveaway
Pros
- quick to disconnect and driveaway leaving luggage behind
- plenty of space for luggage, cooking and eating
- wind and weather proof. We can even heat it on hookup with a 500 watt heater
Cons
- Very bulky
- 15 minutes to put up

Choosing between the two I'd definitely go for the driveaway with a Beach and family of four for two reasons:
- eating and cooking in poor weather,
- the ease of driving away without having to pack up

If we were two in an Ocean our choice might be very different.

Also note that the comfortz side panels can be used on the wind out with the driveaway attached giving a large protected area in very poor weather.

78e5ca0a3d2dd74b55fd89a94dff8f02.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have both and have been happily hauling both around Europe with us since September. Both get used.

Comfortz awning panels.
Pros
- packs away to virtually nothing
- quick and easy to put up and pack away
Cons
- needs packing away with all luggage to drive away
- with luggage inside, little room for kitchen or dining are
- not wind or weather proof

Vango Kela III driveaway
Pros
- quick to disconnect and driveaway leaving luggage behind
- plenty of space for luggage, cooking and eating
- wind and weather proof. We can even heat it on hookup with a 500 watt heater
Cons
- Very bulky
- 15 minutes to put up

Choosing between the two I'd definitely go for the driveaway with a Beach and family of four for two reasons:
- eating and cooking in poor weather,
- the ease of driving away without having to pack up

If we were two in an Ocean our choice might be very different.

Also note that the comfortz side panels can be used on the wind out with the driveaway attached giving a large protected area in very poor weather.

78e5ca0a3d2dd74b55fd89a94dff8f02.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Great photo and write-up :thumb

There are so many setups, and we all have different scenarios. I can see myself doing exactly as you’ve done in the photo, for longer stays this would suit us perfectly.

Another thumbs up for Comfortz panels. We only use them when pitched for couple nights or more say at a festival or event and never bother with them abroad as we plan on better weather and carry enough stuff then anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We initially decided against either as the avoidence of doing any major camp setup is why we got the camper.

However having now done several short trips and having 2 7 yo girls in tow we can see there a definite need for some sort of solution to extend the space.

Out of the two options a drive away awning is likely the best solution for us. It's not something we need for short weekend or overnights.....but for a extended stays 3-4 nights plus its would definitely be useful. Yes there is some extra setup/pack away time, but having come over from a bell tent with stove and other bits 15 mins is nothing really.

At the moment we have a shortlist of Vango Kela IV or the Vango Cali Compact.

We initially decided against either as the avoidence of doing any major camp setup is why we got the camper.

However having now done several short trips and having 2 7 yo girls in tow we can see there a definite need for some sort of solution to extend the space.

We prefer to have just the van. No extra bits.
However, with children you do need some extra space.
IMO the Quechua base seconds is great. A few minutes to erect and pack away. Lightweight and it isn’t attached to the van.
I wouldn’t want to have to pack everything away, if we wanted to drive somewhere.

Just wind the awning over the doorway of the Quechua. Job done

73BAD846-DF29-43BF-BA83-0C69343DAF52.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking at Decathlon site it would appear the pop up has been replaced by a standard pole version. If that is the case the club shop Outwell Handi seems a better buy.