Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Dorset Meet - 28th Sep - More Details Here
    Midlands Club Meet - 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

Awning Tie Down Strap Is Pointless

Discussion in 'Wind-out Awning' started by soulstyledevon, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Wooah - all this awning hate and under use! For us it's the No.1 must have on a Cali - literally the first thing we do on reaching the destination is jump out and wind it out - soon as it's done it feels like home and we're anchored to the land! ;)

Use it all day and evening - for shade, rain protection, cooking under - hanging stuff - towels, lights - whatever, we'd feel bereft without it.

Even in really bad weather we leave it out - firmly pegged down with decent pegs, a very significant fall both from one end to the other and down away from the van if rain is expected.

Never had a Cali yet with the 'official' tie down kit (is it that big webbing affair?) and we just use two more decent pegs and a Paracord line looped through each upper hinge/bracket (there is a hole there). Packs down tiny.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 3
    • I Agree I Agree x 3
  2. Amarillo

Amarillo Tom Top Poster VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Hate it when I do that... It makes fitting the roof topper soooo difficult.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. GrannyJen

GrannyJen goody goody 2shoes Staff Member Moderator

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    400 nights away and I have yet to even use the awning :oops:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Clever Stuff Clever Stuff x 1
  4. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Seriously Jen?? Gobsmacked! The Cali is: Awning out! Table out, chairs out, beers out = relaxation and bliss. :)

• I Agree I Agree x 5
    • I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  5. Loz

Loz Ocean 204 4M DSG MY17 Blackberry Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    We use a rafter and also use a Thule sun blocker as this provides an additional 4 tie downs.
    We always use a peggy-peg leg base for the awning legs, these are the first thing I attach as soon as the awning is wound out.
    For the windiest days we use the tie-down that I have modified to remove the spring and use a heavy duty bungie and super large screw in peggy-peg I found that there was not enough give in the spring and you need something that will stretch a bit and not just pull your pegs out
    IMG_0620.jpg IMG_4339.jpg .

• Clever Stuff Clever Stuff x 3
  6. Kmann

Kmann Iben & Henrik VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    I would not go without an awning, it is for us a great piece. But in the cold season, we remove it and use a drive away awning. The first was a Kampa Air Pod – but recently we got a GYBE, and must say it is a great piece of kit! Recently on the Rømø meet it really showed its potential not noticing the heavy rain and winds it just stayed in place and kept everything dry. At one point we sat 12 people in it ;-)

That said it is all up to what you use your calif for. When out kitesurfing alone in summer, a rarely bother using the awning. But away on an adventure where we want shade or shelter for the wind while outside we always use the awning or the GYBE.

Like I said the GYBE really can take away some bad weather. And it is my experience the awning can too. Especially with our sides on. I have altered some tarps to fit as sides and most important used rubber straps to the pegs. That means the gust is not able to pull out the pegs (but will only extend the rubber), and the pressure on the side holds the awning do the ground. Added with pegs in the poles and the tie down kit it can really take some heavy wind as well.

IMG_4605.JPG

Not the best picture, but the tarp is secured with the rubberbands (similar to the one we have around the roof canvas), and wit a zipper on top. The tie down we mad ourselves, but it is very similar to the Brandrup one and is fast to set up and takes no space. Remember to wind in the awning til the fabric is tight. Reduces flapping a lot …

fullsizeoutput_2914.jpeg

Have a look on the flag and see the GYBE is rock solid. It was really cosy inside at all the time. Takes 10 min to set up and packs quite compact. Really pleased with it. And it's more like a pavilion than a tent, so it let a lot more light in …

7. JohnnyP

JohnnyP VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Do you remove the wind out awning from the van when using the Gybe and if not how do you attach the gybe to the van

Apart from the cost I have been put off the gybe as it doesn't look like it can be attached to the van if the roll out awning is attached and the roof is raised. I have seen a van with an additional Kador strip fitted to the outside of the roll out awning but wasnt sure how secure this would be in high winds.

8. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    I remove the awning for the best fit. Its only 8 screws and a 10 min job. And attach the VW rubber glider (for the Kadar). When you order it, you select the right attachment (Future strips).

Roll out awning, remove two screws. Wind in the awning and lift it off. Open roof slightly, remove the two adapters - 3 screws each. All same torx size. Opposite when mounting again. It's really easy to do.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. GrannyJen

GrannyJen goody goody 2shoes Staff Member Moderator

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I think it's a lifestyle thing. I am often on the move in my Cali and even when I do stop in one place for more than one or two nights I am rarely in it.

It may well change. Now my Sister is travelling with me so three or four day stopovers could become the norm. We have even considered windbreaks :Nailbiting

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Yep, it depends how you use it of course - as mentioned before we only ever have a Cali for July/Aug and then for a few summer days by the south coast seaside and a long summer tour from a pick of France/Spain/Austria/Germany/Switzerland/Italy typically. So the awning is essential. As I have always said - camping for us is South of the Loire and August - forget the cold seasons and wet/cold weather.

I know some like it all year but two kids and cr@p weather? No thanks! Come retirement we'll relive our years as twenty-somethings and go off wherever and whenever with a Cali all year. ;)

11. Freeley

Freeley VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    We use our awning all the time along with our tie down straps, we leave it out day and night depending on the weather forecast. If the winds are due to pick up then I wind it in especially overnight.
    I wouldn't say that they're useless as they're not designed to stop the canvas from flapping, but they give us piece of mind especially when we're out during the day.
    What I keep meaning to do is buy a couple of those long stretchy spider straps and wrap them around the canvas and awning support arms to see if that helps but haven't got around to it yet![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    From my experience: If you move the pegs closer to the legs, the length of the tie down robe will be shorter, and the setup more stable. The triangle should be … can't get the word in English - the pegs should not be further away from the leg, then the high of the leg (does that make sense?).

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Freeley

Freeley VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    Yes it makes sense, unfortunately this is as short as I can get them! Works well though, but have a bit of a job fitting them into a smaller pitch. Luckily I've parked across 2 pitches here so no problem!
    Not my fault I hasten to add, but they never told us when we checked in that the pitch number on the ground was the centre of the pitch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Summer or winter, sunshine or rain, awning out if the 2 of us are travelling. Rock pegs to the feet and Brandrup Tie Down Kit. Lots of rain then angle on awning L to R and shorter width.
    Only wind in if there is a Weather Alert. With proper pegs, Tie Down and an eye to the prevailing wind/weather direction it can withstand as much as a Drive Away, and THAT is something I do not want and never will have.

And if it gets damaged I’ll get another one. A Cali is not a Cali without an Awning.:kiss

• I Like That! I Like That! x 3
  15. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Yep. :thumb

16. Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    I thought that black tube was just to tell you which VW vans you're supposed to wave at?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • I Agree I Agree x 2
  17. 2020 freedom

2020 freedom Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    I enjoyed your reply.
    Made me think about the triangle you are describing. I don't think it has a specific word because all you care about is that the top angle is acute and the hypotenuse is quite short. So scalene, Isosceles, or acute being the main contenders don't necessarily apply. But thanks for making me it drag up from the dark corners of my brain :thumb

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. 2020 freedom

2020 freedom Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    What kind of angle do people generally create? I mean how much difference in the height between legs to let the rain run off without straining everything?

19. Loz

Loz Ocean 204 4M DSG MY17 Blackberry Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Without rafter, I tend to release the leg and let it lower until I feel the bracket resisting then lift back up a little and lock. With rafter in place I just lower both legs so it’s lower than the top end but not too low we bang our heads on it.
    Just need to remember, when lowered the top corner of the door will catch the canvas so need to lift it when opening or closing the drivers door.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0 The adventure with Starlight Expess begins VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    We were so excited to have an awning on the Call as our previous van didn't have one. We should have used it once to get out of our wet stuff when we nearly drowned walking in Wales, but I didn't want to get it wet....
    We have used it 3 times when it has been really hot and then we were so pleased we had it. Worth having it just for those 3 times.
    So, after nearly 4 years we have used it 4 times......
    It does wreck our ability to go in stealth mode too.