Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Tie Down Strap Is Pointless

I would not go without an awning, it is for us a great piece. But in the cold season, we remove it and use a drive away awning. The first was a Kampa Air Pod – but recently we got a GYBE, and must say it is a great piece of kit! Recently on the Rømø meet it really showed its potential not noticing the heavy rain and winds it just stayed in place and kept everything dry. At one point we sat 12 people in it ;-)

That said it is all up to what you use your calif for. When out kitesurfing alone in summer, a rarely bother using the awning. But away on an adventure where we want shade or shelter for the wind while outside we always use the awning or the GYBE.

Like I said the GYBE really can take away some bad weather. And it is my experience the awning can too. Especially with our sides on. I have altered some tarps to fit as sides and most important used rubber straps to the pegs. That means the gust is not able to pull out the pegs (but will only extend the rubber), and the pressure on the side holds the awning do the ground. Added with pegs in the poles and the tie down kit it can really take some heavy wind as well.

IMG_4605.JPG

Not the best picture, but the tarp is secured with the rubberbands (similar to the one we have around the roof canvas), and wit a zipper on top. The tie down we mad ourselves, but it is very similar to the Brandrup one and is fast to set up and takes no space. Remember to wind in the awning til the fabric is tight. Reduces flapping a lot …

fullsizeoutput_2914.jpeg

Have a look on the flag and see the GYBE is rock solid. It was really cosy inside at all the time. Takes 10 min to set up and packs quite compact. Really pleased with it. And it's more like a pavilion than a tent, so it let a lot more light in …

I would not go without an awning, it is for us a great piece. But in the cold season, we remove it and use a drive away awning. The first was a Kampa Air Pod – but recently we got a GYBE, and must say it is a great piece of kit! Recently on the Rømø meet it really showed its potential not noticing the heavy rain and winds it just stayed in place and kept everything dry. At one point we sat 12 people in it ;-)

That said it is all up to what you use your calif for. When out kitesurfing alone in summer, a rarely bother using the awning. But away on an adventure where we want shade or shelter for the wind while outside we always use the awning or the GYBE.

Like I said the GYBE really can take away some bad weather. And it is my experience the awning can too. Especially with our sides on. I have altered some tarps to fit as sides and most important used rubber straps to the pegs. That means the gust is not able to pull out the pegs (but will only extend the rubber), and the pressure on the side holds the awning do the ground. Added with pegs in the poles and the tie down kit it can really take some heavy wind as well.

View attachment 37936

Not the best picture, but the tarp is secured with the rubberbands (similar to the one we have around the roof canvas), and wit a zipper on top. The tie down we mad ourselves, but it is very similar to the Brandrup one and is fast to set up and takes no space. Remember to wind in the awning til the fabric is tight. Reduces flapping a lot …

View attachment 37937

Have a look on the flag and see the GYBE is rock solid. It was really cosy inside at all the time. Takes 10 min to set up and packs quite compact. Really pleased with it. And it's more like a pavilion than a tent, so it let a lot more light in …
Do you remove the wind out awning from the van when using the Gybe and if not how do you attach the gybe to the van

Apart from the cost I have been put off the gybe as it doesn't look like it can be attached to the van if the roll out awning is attached and the roof is raised. I have seen a van with an additional Kador strip fitted to the outside of the roll out awning but wasnt sure how secure this would be in high winds.

Do you remove the wind out awning from the van when using the Gybe and if not how do you attach the gybe to the van

Apart from the cost I have been put off the gybe as it doesn't look like it can be attached to the van if the roll out awning is attached and the roof is raised. I have seen a van with an additional Kador strip fitted to the outside of the roll out awning but wasnt sure how secure this would be in high winds.

I remove the awning for the best fit. Its only 8 screws and a 10 min job. And attach the VW rubber glider (for the Kadar). When you order it, you select the right attachment (Future strips).

Roll out awning, remove two screws. Wind in the awning and lift it off. Open roof slightly, remove the two adapters - 3 screws each. All same torx size. Opposite when mounting again. It's really easy to do.

Seriously Jen?? Gobsmacked! The Cali is: Awning out! Table out, chairs out, beers out = relaxation and bliss. :)

I think it's a lifestyle thing. I am often on the move in my Cali and even when I do stop in one place for more than one or two nights I am rarely in it.

It may well change. Now my Sister is travelling with me so three or four day stopovers could become the norm. We have even considered windbreaks :Nailbiting

Yep, it depends how you use it of course - as mentioned before we only ever have a Cali for July/Aug and then for a few summer days by the south coast seaside and a long summer tour from a pick of France/Spain/Austria/Germany/Switzerland/Italy typically. So the awning is essential. As I have always said - camping for us is South of the Loire and August - forget the cold seasons and wet/cold weather.

I know some like it all year but two kids and cr@p weather? No thanks! Come retirement we'll relive our years as twenty-somethings and go off wherever and whenever with a Cali all year. ;)

So I’ve come to the conclusion the awning tie down kit is pointless...???

Yes it holds the legs down firmly in the wind, but the canvas still flaps about which makes lots of noise.
So much so, I’ve woken twice this week to wind the bloody thing in to get some sleep...

I usually just peg the feet of the awning with a tent peg in each foot. Easy and quick to remove. PITA having to dissemble the tie down kit and awning in the dark at silly O clock.

So really what’s the point...?
Might be something that’s removed from the van and sold once I’m back home.
We use our awning all the time along with our tie down straps, we leave it out day and night depending on the weather forecast. If the winds are due to pick up then I wind it in especially overnight.
I wouldn't say that they're useless as they're not designed to stop the canvas from flapping, but they give us piece of mind especially when we're out during the day.
What I keep meaning to do is buy a couple of those long stretchy spider straps and wrap them around the canvas and awning support arms to see if that helps but haven't got around to it yet!
e5f321bbf28637f26ce1dfeb03c76b16.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We use our awning all the time along with our tie down straps, we leave it out day and night depending on the weather forecast. If the winds are due to pick up then I wind it in especially overnight.
I wouldn't say that they're useless as they're not designed to stop the canvas from flapping, but they give us piece of mind especially when we're out during the day.
What I keep meaning to do is buy a couple of those long stretchy spider straps and wrap them around the canvas and awning support arms to see if that helps but haven't got around to it yet!
e5f321bbf28637f26ce1dfeb03c76b16.jpg

From my experience: If you move the pegs closer to the legs, the length of the tie down robe will be shorter, and the setup more stable. The triangle should be … can't get the word in English - the pegs should not be further away from the leg, then the high of the leg (does that make sense?).

From my experience: If you move the pegs closer to the legs, the length of the tie down robe will be shorter, and the setup more stable. The triangle should be … can't get the word in English - the pegs should not be further away from the leg, then the high of the leg (does that make sense?).
Yes it makes sense, unfortunately this is as short as I can get them! Works well though, but have a bit of a job fitting them into a smaller pitch. Luckily I've parked across 2 pitches here so no problem!
Not my fault I hasten to add, but they never told us when we checked in that the pitch number on the ground was the centre of the pitch

Summer or winter, sunshine or rain, awning out if the 2 of us are travelling. Rock pegs to the feet and Brandrup Tie Down Kit. Lots of rain then angle on awning L to R and shorter width.
Only wind in if there is a Weather Alert. With proper pegs, Tie Down and an eye to the prevailing wind/weather direction it can withstand as much as a Drive Away, and THAT is something I do not want and never will have.

And if it gets damaged I’ll get another one. A Cali is not a Cali without an Awning.:kiss

I enjoyed your reply.
Made me think about the triangle you are describing. I don't think it has a specific word because all you care about is that the top angle is acute and the hypotenuse is quite short. So scalene, Isosceles, or acute being the main contenders don't necessarily apply. But thanks for making me it drag up from the dark corners of my brain :thumb

Lots of rain then angle on awning L to R and shorter width.

What kind of angle do people generally create? I mean how much difference in the height between legs to let the rain run off without straining everything?

Without rafter, I tend to release the leg and let it lower until I feel the bracket resisting then lift back up a little and lock. With rafter in place I just lower both legs so it’s lower than the top end but not too low we bang our heads on it.
Just need to remember, when lowered the top corner of the door will catch the canvas so need to lift it when opening or closing the drivers door.

400 nights away and I have yet to even use the awning :oops:
We were so excited to have an awning on the Call as our previous van didn't have one. We should have used it once to get out of our wet stuff when we nearly drowned walking in Wales, but I didn't want to get it wet....
We have used it 3 times when it has been really hot and then we were so pleased we had it. Worth having it just for those 3 times.
So, after nearly 4 years we have used it 4 times......
It does wreck our ability to go in stealth mode too.

The angle between the guy and leg should not be greater than 45 degrees. (Is that what you mean?)

I find the awning very useful for sun protection, but also in light drizzle when we can still sit outside and remain dry.
However, regarding storm straps, prior to seeing the light, and buying a Cali, I'm sorry to admit we owned a motorhome and went out during the day with the awning out and came back to a costly mangled mess. So I think storm straps by day are useful, but wind in the awning at night if windy.

A driveaway awning can be attached to the Thule roll out awning on a Cali. Roll it out a couple of inches, lift the flap up and you’ll see the channel for a kador strip to slide into. It’s not perfect as it will hang a bit low and occasionally catch the sliding door but you can use the roll out to pull the driveway tight.

I use the awning as a porch more often than as a sunshade (my camping is all in UK and if the sun's shining I want be in it!) - wind out about 18 inches and it stops most of the rain getting in the door and making the inside damp. I always tie it down as well as pegging the bottom, but I use a couple of guy lines from a tent I no longer have. They were good enough to keep a tent from blowing away in all weathers so I don't see why they shouldn't be good enough for my awning.

I'm not mean, I just don't see the point of buying a very expensive accessory when I already have something that does the job perfectly.

Wooah - all this awning hate and under use! For us it's the No.1 must have on a Cali - literally the first thing we do on reaching the destination is jump out and wind it out - soon as it's done it feels like home and we're anchored to the land! ;)

Use it all day and evening - for shade, rain protection, cooking under - hanging stuff - towels, lights - whatever, we'd feel bereft without it.

Even in really bad weather we leave it out - firmly pegged down with decent pegs, a very significant fall both from one end to the other and down away from the van if rain is expected.

Never had a Cali yet with the 'official' tie down kit (is it that big webbing affair?) and we just use two more decent pegs and a Paracord line looped through each upper hinge/bracket (there is a hole there). Packs down tiny.
That’s exactly what I plan to use as a ”tie down”. Thanks for the reassurance

So I’ve come to the conclusion the awning tie down kit is pointless...???

Yes it holds the legs down firmly in the wind, but the canvas still flaps about which makes lots of noise.
So much so, I’ve woken twice this week to wind the bloody thing in to get some sleep...

I usually just peg the feet of the awning with a tent peg in each foot. Easy and quick to remove. PITA having to dissemble the tie down kit and awning in the dark at silly O clock.

So really what’s the point...?
Might be something that’s removed from the van and sold once I’m back home.
I bought a Thule tie down kit and used it once before it was retired to the shed! I now use thick guy ropes the secure the awning when used in the day. For overnights if I thu k it’s going to be windy I now use a Cysgod front panel that slides into the awning rail with the wind out awning wound out only by a foot or so. The Cysgod panel is much quieter than the wind out awning and by using the same guy lines still provides a good amount of shelter from the elements without keep me awake all night.

Don’t ysually bother with the awning as find it a real pain to put out and back on my own.
My Timberland van conversion used to have an electric awning and that was SO much easier to put out and away. It seemed much more stable too.
A lot of high end van conversions in the US use electric awnings with a wind sensor (and no legs) that automatically winds them in in high winds. For what VW are charging for a new Cali these days they should be including these!

I bought a Thule tie down kit and used it once before it was retired to the shed! I now use thick guy ropes the secure the awning when used in the day. For overnights if I thu k it’s going to be windy I now use a Cysgod front panel that slides into the awning rail with the wind out awning wound out only by a foot or so. The Cysgod panel is much quieter than the wind out awning and by using the same guy lines still provides a good amount of shelter from the elements without keep me awake all night.
We do similar, with Outwell tarps instead of Cysgod. Some friends had their wind out awning wrecked in the wind and rain this year. If you want to keep the wind out awning practically closed you can clip figure of 8 strips to the top of the awning end cap, and slot your tarp in. It also means there’s no trouble opening the sliding door or drivers door, and takes the tarp a little higher. We sometimes use king poles also.

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4591.jpeg

IMG_4590.jpeg

We do similar, with Outwell tarps instead of Cysgod. Some friends had their wind out awning wrecked in the wind and rain this year. If you want to keep the wind out awning practically closed you can clip figure of 8 strips to the top of the awning end cap, and slot your tarp in. It also means there’s no trouble opening the sliding door or drivers door, and takes the tarp a little higher. We sometimes use king poles also.

View attachment 114329

View attachment 114330

View attachment 114331
Indeed it was you that gave me the idea, tried it a couple of times and it works a treat. Thanks!

Back