Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Baby on parcel shelf - ventilation?

H

Hanc

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I’ve seen many people put their baby to sleep on the parcel shelf which is a perfect enclosed space for a little one. But I recall reading somewhere once that the space back there doesn’t get enough ventilation. I know you can buy a hook which allows you to close (and lock) the boot while leaving it open a crack, but in winter that seems a bit cold. Anyone have any insight on this? Are most people just doing it and not worrying about the ventilation issue?

Whoops, thread title should have read “parcel shelf”!! If anyone knows how to change it please share :)

Whoops, thread title should have read “parcel shelf”!! If anyone knows how to change it please share :)

There you go....;)

Putting the roof up and a window open a few cm. should give airflow.
When roof closed sleeping in the Cali gives much more condensation , doing that you must open at least two windows to create airflow.

Ventilation is a must in the Cali , and when it's cold ....heater on window slightly open!

Last edited:
There you go....;)
Thank you!!

But what about the ventilation right at the back there on the parcel shelf, especially when downstairs is still set up as a “lounge” i.e. seats up. You can’t open any of the windows back there, but is general airflow within the van as long as roof up and window cracked still enough? Or am I overthinking and it’s just a non-issue?

my children aged 8 & 10 hang out there a lot and I don't see any deleterious effects

You are worring to much imo. , every time the sliding door opens a huge amount of air gets displaced , as long you don't lock yourselves up with everything closed for the whole day you are ok .

I agree with hotel california. We're just out of the baby phase. At one time we spend 3 months travelling in the van. They have always slept well, without doing anything special as far as ventilation is conceirned.

Thank you!!

But what about the ventilation right at the back there on the parcel shelf, especially when downstairs is still set up as a “lounge” i.e. seats up. You can’t open any of the windows back there, but is general airflow within the van as long as roof up and window cracked still enough? Or am I overthinking and it’s just a non-issue?
What do you do at home? put the cot under an open window? I very much doubt it.
I think you are overthinking things. With roof up, vents in roof already, and front windows open an inch or so with a Climair/Dubreflecta/Heikoor the VW rain guard or the Brandrup/Reimo front window ventilation inserts there will be absolutely no problems.

Thanks very much all! I was only concerned as thought I’d read something along those lines somewhere before, and you know how these things can get engrained in your brain! But it sounds like I must be mis-remembering.

What do you do at home? put the cot under an open window? I very much doubt it.
I think you are overthinking things. With roof up, vents in roof already, and front windows open an inch or so with a Climair/Dubreflecta/Heikoor the VW rain guard or the Brandrup/Reimo front window ventilation inserts there will be absolutely no problems.

with roof down and all windows closed there will be no problems

Not quite the same, but I travel a lot with 4 medium sized dogs. 2 in crates on parcel shelf and 2 in crates in middle section.
No problems with air / ventilation when driving. When parked for training, in the summer I leave windows and tailgate open and close all blinds to keep interior as cool as possible (this is on private ground so no need for ventlock, but can also lock crates). In the winter I leave the front windows open an inch or two and with deflectors on, it stops rain or too much cold draught. I also have the front window vents which I use camping, but haven’t felt the need for them yet in carparks when training (but would if there was public access and wanted to keep anything inside safe and well ventilated).
I’m guessing similar logic would apply for a two legged baby. If not, please ignore.

Reactions: SID
with roof down and all windows closed there will be no problems
No. You need decent ventilation. Even roof up is not sufficient on a windless night. You need at least two windows open on opposite sides.

We regularly sleep four plus a dog in the van. On a calm night if we have all windows closed, I’ll wake up downstairs with a mild headache, most likely caused by reduced levels of oxygen.

Normal oxygen levels at sea level are 20.9%. Anything under 19.5% can cause problems, that is the effective oxygen percent at 2000 feet (610 metres) altitude - the height of Yes Tor on Dartmoor.

Thank you!!

We travelled around France with a 1yr old this year. Monty slept on the parcel shelf with seat up and a blackout blind ( the original VW screen blind) hanging from the top cupboard. Even in the French heatwave he was fine. We normally had a window open with the VW net in place. We all survived 40’ heat...., I always worry more about the heater, but I have it tested every year and have a CO alarm. I also have a little digital thermometer on the wardrobe which I use to check temperature. We normally have a front window open slightly and have wind deflectors for that reason, or we have one of the windows open in the canvas.

We have slept with myself, daughter and dog downstairs with heads at the back, roof down in cold weather and have been fine and dandy.

Not quite the same, but I travel a lot with 4 medium sized dogs. 2 in crates on parcel shelf and 2 in crates in middle section.
No problems with air / ventilation when driving. When parked for training, in the summer I leave windows and tailgate open and close all blinds to keep interior as cool as possible (this is on private ground so no need for ventlock, but can also lock crates). In the winter I leave the front windows open an inch or two and with deflectors on, it stops rain or too much cold draught. I also have the front window vents which I use camping, but haven’t felt the need for them yet in carparks when training (but would if there was public access and wanted to keep anything inside safe and well ventilated).
I’m guessing similar logic would apply for a two legged baby. If not, please ignore.
Glad to see we are not the only people mad enough to have 4 dogs - 2 lab type and 2 min dax. Love to see peoples faces when we all pile out. Usual question is how do you all fit in

Back