Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Back in the Game!

Jez

Jez

Just Starting,again!
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All,

I've had my 2007 California 4 weeks now, fourth VW van ranging from 1972 T2 in Australia to a T3 van and a LT28 in lovely brown! Was going for a new crew cab T6 but fell in love with the "stealth camper". Black, grey leather, 120km recent new clutch and reconditioned gearbox. I've put in a new audio head unit that gives me bluetooth and a rear camera and put in front parking sensors. I've got a black awning on order as it had none and front carpets, rear downstairs topper also on order. I've just got a Vango Kymer awning which I haven't put up yet so should practice. Oh yes the van came with 20" wheels which were awful, looked too big,rubbed on full lock, was a strain on the clutch and were to rigid and gave a ride that would be great in downtown LA but on bog roads in Ireland, just NO. So today I swapped for 18" and its like a different car, smooth and easier to drive, so I'm happy. Now the niggles, the rear tambour door is broken, I know I can buy a new one but I'll make do, first swivel of the drivers seat cut through the airbag cable, it's happened a few times by the look of the tape and marks! It'a a 1.9 not a 2.5 and is all in metric so I'm doing 8.5l/100km which is nice to now! The previous owner still had the plastic on the upstairs mattress but managed to scratch all the inside of the windscreen with a big diamond ring! The bodywork is great but there are scratches when I clean it so I suppose thats the joy of Black. The fridge lid is very loose and the piston is not connected so is in the glove box. I was always a keen camper when I lived in Wales, down the Gower most weekends but living and working in Ireland gave me a family instead but now my girls are 9 and 7 and my wife is on board we're going exploring Ireland and off to France for 2 weeks. My main question for everyone is I'm using it as a daily drive say 52 miles round trip, and it's such a nice drive I'm doing all the smaller drives so what sort of milage are you doing and is there a service indicator or shall I go off the last stamp in the book! Sorry for long post! Jez

Hi jez welcome along there should be a service interval indicator
Are you sure it's a 1.9 I don't think they made a Cali with that engine. 2.5ltr pre facelift and 2.0lt post 2010 I would check again

Oh I thought that but this is Ireland! The logbook shows a 1.9litre engine. As there are EXTRA taxes on taxes here for cars they have some weird options to keep the base price lower, until recently lots of cars still had winder on the rear windows. As its a camper my car tax is only €107 though! Do you think the 1.9 will be a problem? Does the service light come on when it's due?

The service indicator should come on depending if its on normal or longlife service regime what does it say on the v5 because i am not aware of a 1.9..i hope its not a t5 with a cali interior and roof it wouldnt be the first time this has happened do you have a picture of your van?

It's a California alright, Double glazing, Driver side rear door, all the interior inc the heater and fridge with the control panel, and obviously the bubbling paint on the front of the roof!:bananadanceHaving problems getting pictures up! The 1.9 was only available in LHD I think but somehow I have a RHD one!

Nice , welcome from Belgium!

Yes, I have the red dot matrix display with the trip, time, av speed etc, this will indicate the service I presume when its due? Its at 122km and last service was 118km in the service book. Thanks

welcome! i like your stealth camper! great looking car in a superb shape! Have fun!