Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bag or Box on an Atera Strada?

Do all the straps that are on the bag attach to the bike frame ok , or do you need additional straps ?
The existing ones are fine. It’s straighforward and works.

Tried to get this set up twice this weekend.

Can’t get the rack to clamp onto the ratchet so the key can be turned and it lock. The picture shows as far down as I can get it. Seems close to the first ratchet.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Pictures this time...

6857A68C-2C57-4744-8E57-274A44A88D5D.jpeg

A726260B-B0E3-46AE-A35D-BA71DCBE8EFD.jpeg

AB726D4F-527C-4E18-9ABC-ACF700284A68.jpeg

0DEB0425-9436-4D12-B442-B192B8C0F839.jpeg

I can’t see whether the green ring is showing, but this is mentioned from start. If the cup isn’t snuggly around your ball(!) then the handle will resist going right down, as it will be tiring to deform the cup.

Then pay particular attention at 1m30s and 1m35s. Release trigger as you push handle down. Even if the handle isn’t fully down, I think the key should turn, as long as the trigger is released.

Actually 1m0s to 1m15s for correctly cupping your ball(!!)

Thanks. I’m sure it’s cupping the ball correctly - got a clear green ring. I’ve released the handle on the way down. It should click as it gets in the ratchet but it doesn’t get quite far enough - it is so close when I look underneath. Key won’t turn without it being in one of the ratchet positions.

E07177EE-FA64-4A5A-ABCE-74762AE1D11A.jpeg

Its because the ball is new, the paint thickness is the difference between fitting and not.
mount the rack and clamp the handle down so the ball socket grips the ball, twist the whole bike rack from side to side, this will remove a line of paint where the socket clamps the ball, get some wet and dry and remove the paint in the area where the rack socket has marked the tow ball.

refit and try again.

similarly spray the ratchet etc with some silicone spray as they can be stiff when new, but the problem is with the paint on the towbar ball.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’m sure it’s cupping the ball correctly - got a clear green ring. I’ve released the handle on the way down. It should click as it gets in the ratchet but it doesn’t get quite far enough - it is so close when I look underneath. Key won’t turn without it being in one of the ratchet positions.

View attachment 75508
My handle was pretty darn stiff the first time I used it (oh dear!)

Even using the rack earlier today, I had to get my shoulder over the handle to push it down fully. It gives you the same kind of ‘Am I breaking this?’ feeling as does the awning-leg locking-levers. What is it that stops the handle going down further?

I would also try taking the whole thing off and on again a few times, perhaps lowering the rack to horizontal a bit briskly, dropping it in to place.

Its because the ball is new, the paint thickness is the difference between fitting and not.
mount the rack and clamp the handle down so the ball socket grips the ball, twist the whole bike rack from side to side, this will remove a line of paint where the socket clamps the ball, get some wet and dry and remove the paint in the area where the rack socket has marked the tow ball.

refit and try again.

similarly spray the ratchet etc with some silicone spray as they can be stiff when new, but the problem is with the paint on the towbar ball.
Here’s the man in the know!

Amazing help thank you both. Probably be next weekend before I get onto it now though.

Wet and dry sandpaper worked! So pleased - thanks again.

One more question. What do I do with the long arm if I only want to carry two bikes?

Wet and dry sandpaper worked! So pleased - thanks again.

One more question. What do I do with the long arm if I only want to carry two bikes?
Just leave it attached and pointing downwards

I am quite happy putting a Brandrup Flexbag (the wider one designed for a T5) rack on my Atera DL3 - works really well and can still take 2 bikes
and that is without taking the wheel clamps off right ? The bag sits on top the clamps ?

and that is without taking the wheel clamps off right ? The bag sits on top the clamps ?
Yes, has been absolutely fine. I have generally used soft bags on the bottom of the pile in the bag which allows the bag material to adapt to the wheel holders underneath. No issues experienced with rubbing etc

S
Yes, has been absolutely fine. I have generally used soft bags on the bottom of the pile in the bag which allows the bag material to adapt to the wheel holders underneath. No issues experienced with rubbing etc
Sound good, you don't happen to have pictures how it looked do you ?

S

Sound good, you don't happen to have pictures how it looked do you ?
Though you cannot take off the straps, the straps move/rotate. Can you not rotate and clip them under the rack and use the bag on top? They then stay out of the way. I do this often when I have to carry something other than bikes on the rack.

Edit: ignore me. The Atera has those weird plastic stands that stick out.

Back