Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery life in the heat

Rololux

Rololux

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Down in the south of France at the moment. It’s hot, as everywhere. After having spent a night on hookup, we drove 30 mins to a golf course, parked up, played golf, and stayed in the golf course hotel overnight. The fridge was on level 3, but otherwise did not use the van for approx 24 hours. This morning, the batteries were completely flat - control panel would not even start. All ok now - we drove for 45 mins restarted the fridge, parked up for 2 hours, then drove on to a campsite and everything looks normal.

But this does not seem to be right - I suspect my leisure batteries are knackered, but not sure why. Could it be because it is so hot - around 35C during the day, and 25 overnight?

Has anyone else experienced poor battery performance when it’s hot?

Hi, what voltages are you seeing now?

Down in the south of France at the moment. It’s hot, as everywhere. After having spent a night on hookup, we drove 30 mins to a golf course, parked up, played golf, and stayed in the golf course hotel overnight. The fridge was on level 3, but otherwise did not use the van for approx 24 hours. This morning, the batteries were completely flat - control panel would not even start. All ok now - we drove for 45 mins restarted the fridge, parked up for 2 hours, then drove on to a campsite and everything looks normal.

But this does not seem to be right - I suspect my leisure batteries are knackered, but not sure why. Could it be because it is so hot - around 35C during the day, and 25 overnight?

Has anyone else experienced poor battery performance when it’s hot?
Didn’t check just before I connected EHU, but it was showing 80% charge. I’d guess around 12.5v. Worth noting that when we set off this morning, the batteries were apparently charging at 117A, which is not bad from an 80A alternator!!!!

Last edited: