Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery life

D

Dave Wickham

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello techno wizards
I have a 68 reg Ocean. Realistically what is the max off-grid time the 2 leisure batteries will run the fridge and the lights. The fridge temperature setting on 5. I have noticed it going from 100% to 80% after just 1 night. Of course I would expect after 4.5 years a drop in battery performance but the van hasn't been used a lot for camping off grid (usually use EHU). Secondly isn't 60% the minimum state of charge the minimum you should not go below?

I use fridge and lights only normally and drop 10% a night approximately. Batteries 15 yrs old.

Everyone’s batteries seem to behave differently. Not sure why. I’m sure I’ve gone below 40% several times. Others feels strongly that this causes permanent damage.

I would double check you haven’t got things plugged in.

I think the fridge - which I presume is the main draw - uses different amount of power depending on how full it is. You could put 2 freezer blocks in there and not turn it on?!

I think the fridge - which I presume is the main draw - uses different amount of power depending on how full it is. You could put 2 freezer blocks in there and not turn it on?!
Also very much depends how hot it is outside and whether you are trying to just maintain a low temperature or cool things down as well.

Have they not invented lithium leisure batteries yet?

I have a motorcycle that has a lithium battery and I had to buy a lithium battery charger to put it on charge when not in use. I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories of the lithium batteries exploding when the wrong charger used and there was a warning on my local news Chanel about a month ago about this with video footage of the battery exploding and setting fire to the house. Apparently can be left with no charger attached and will still have full charge , obviously with no alarm on to drain it.