Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Camper - options questions

F

flymartin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all,

I've been lurking and reading for a while and I think we're finally going to push the button and buy a Beach Camper.

I have wanted a California for years, and got close a couple of times, but house moving, extension building, or any number of little things, seemed to sap the energy or money every time. Now it looks like the stars might align. But there's a lot I don't know! The most I've spent on a car before is £10k on an Audi A4 which I'm still driving 8 years later, so jumping to a £70k purchase is quite a jump. But if it works out I'll have the Cali forever.

I've worked out a lot of things I think, but I've got a few questions about Options:
- Canvas Sides. Basalt Grey, includes Panorama Window at £276 - do I need this, and what is a panorama window?

- Uprated starter battery - when would I be glad of this? Isn't there a leisure battery in a Beach Camper?

- Driving profile selection "Drive Select" and Dynamic Chassis Control DCC with dynamic chassis - is this worthwhile?

I think I have a few more but will do some more searching before I ask them!

Thanks in advance
Martin

The pano window in the Bellows is a nice to have item - essentially the front opens up fully to give a view outside / extra ventilation etc. - search the forum and you will find photos

uprated stater battery = more amp hours for Cranking amps, running stereo , ancillary items that are not associated with the lesuire battery etc

Dynamic chassis etc = no experience of this on a Cali

Hi yes go for it - we too are splashing out on a Cali after driving cars with a maximum cost of 10k all our lives - I’m still driving a 2005 smart forfour which cost me 3k over 10 years ago! Somehow it feels ok tho as we intend to keep the van a very long time. Just thought I’d reply about the pano window - originally we didn’t spec this but after visiting dealer for a look and seeing how much light it lets into the ‘lounge’ area it felt like a must-have. I’d suggest having a look at one if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search for California Chris on you tube, very informative, dealer perspective, there are videos of the various options, one of his vids shows the Pano window

Here is a couple of photo from the forum

edit note these are oceans, the beach front opening is different as it has a section in the front to assist the bellows folding -

edit bottom two are are retro fit to a beach :thumb

F13DC17B-6E6F-47FC-8F9B-04AD0F430AC1.png

E91751FE-0E8D-4F4A-8755-1D67BE6033BB.png

DEC6C37C-A2BD-43B5-81DC-0788E9741D9D.png

Last edited:
Here is a couple of photo from the forum

edit note these are oceans, the beach front opening is different as it has a section in the front to assist the bellows folding -

The second two pictures are of my Beach :)

Having retrofitted the canvas I'd say it is definitely worth it - just for the ability to get a fly out of the pop top!

Hi yes go for it - we too are splashing out on a Cali after driving cars with a maximum cost of 10k all our lives - I’m still driving a 2005 smart forfour which cost me 3k over 10 years ago! Somehow it feels ok tho as we intend to keep the van a very long time. Just thought I’d reply about the pano window - originally we didn’t spec this but after visiting dealer for a look and seeing how much light it lets into the ‘lounge’ area it felt like a must-have. I’d suggest having a look at one if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the insight - I think we will get the window option. We’re excited to be finally going for it! We’ve been to a dealer and had a good look but there were things I just forgot to ask about or look at..

- Canvas Sides. Basalt Grey, includes Panorama Window at £276 - do I need this, and what is a panorama window?
Eventually we all have to draw a financial line about how much we are going to spend, and yes VW are fleecing you for lots of these options. However, it is a colossal sum of money and some options cannot be retrofitted (LED headlights), and others will cost several times the factory fit option.

If you want to lie in the top bed in the morning with a view like this then get the panoramic roof!

Good luck with your purchase.

1636021004435.png

Thanks for the insight - I think we will get the window option. We’re excited to be finally going for it! We’ve been to a dealer and had a good look but there were things I just forgot to ask about or look at..
Go back again, to look at what you missed and have another look, tell the dealer you’re keen but need and extra bit of incentive! You’ll may be surprised!

defo go for the extended Factory warranty (make it part of the order)

For completeness
below link to the thread where @paul_f shows his retro fit,
the thread contains part numbers for the relevant Bellows for Beach & Ocean. Kindly provided by @Ting Tong

Driving profile selection "Drive Select" and Dynamic Chassis Control DCC with dynamic chassis - is this worthwhile?
Here’s a short video of the basic functions of DCC shown on a VW Car, hope this explains what it is.

I've worked out a lot of things I think, but I've got a few questions about Options:
Its not just the panoramic window that you gain, but also the arched, fly netted zip window in that panel. Without the option you don't get any form of window in the front panel.

Its not just the panoramic window that you gain, but also the arched, fly netted zip window in that panel. Without the option you don't get any form of window in the front panel.
That applies to Beach and Coast.

here’s a vid from Cali Chris showing the “option” for the front opening bellows On a Coast, which should be identical to a Beach as both use the manual roof.

Question for Paul: where did you get the opening window bellows retrofitted and how much did it cost? Thanks
I fitted it myself, the bellows were about 650 from the dealer.
Its fairly easy to do - I have some instructions I can send you

I fitted it myself, the bellows were about 650 from the dealer.
Its fairly easy to do - I have some instructions I can send you
Could you post the instruction on here pls Paul ? (Take photos of the doc )

Here’s a short video of the basic functions of DCC shown on a VW Car, hope this explains what it is.

I drove my new California about 70 miles yesterday, and was keen to try out the DCC. The ride did seem quite crashy as I came out of the dealer, but the button on the dash let me put it in comfort mode and that softened everything up. On the motorway I put it in sport and realised it firmed the steering up, as well as the suspension. I don't know if it does anything to the throttle response. I was pretty impressed with the ability to change the set up, and look forward to seeing the change on twisty b-roads...

I drove my new California about 70 miles yesterday, and was keen to try out the DCC. The ride did seem quite crashy as I came out of the dealer, but the button on the dash let me put it in comfort mode and that softened everything up. On the motorway I put it in sport and realised it firmed the steering up, as well as the suspension. I don't know if it does anything to the throttle response. I was pretty impressed with the ability to change the set up, and look forward to seeing the change on twisty b-roads...
I realized that I have this control on our Tiguan, which has Eco, Normal and Sport modes. I've never really tested it. Now and again I use Eco, to see how high I can push the mpg, for fun (nerd alert).

So I did test Sport mode over the weekend, and it does seem to tighten up the suspension on roundabouts etc. With Normal mode it tends to wallow around, discouraging sprited cornering. With Sport mode, you can have more fun. At least in a Tiguan.

I suppose that means I answered my own question re 'what is DCC?' Thanks to all for the links and pointers on this. I think another thread mentioned higher costs of repairs etc if there are suspension faults in future. Something to consider but I think the whole vehicle is complex to repair and, on balance, I'll likely go for DCC.. will report back in 12+ months!