Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach coming my way.

J

Jlr1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ve wanted one for a while and now the kids are 6 and 4 year old twins we have traded the Caravelle for a beach.
apparently they are selling like hot cakes but we have an Acapulco blue one we are collecting next week. only thing missing is the parking heater but will fit an after market one. . Any tips for travelling with kids that age?

Congrats, I love that colour,
Post a piccy when it lands :cheers

4 and 6 year olds and a beach ? - calling @Amarillo to the hotline.
Any tips for travelling with kids that age?
Gaffer tape. ;)

Have you got the three zone climatronic air conditioning? If not, well done! If you do, you will find that they are forever fiddling with the controls in the rear.

Long distances are best done late evening or overnight. See if you can find a setup which requires minimum fuss for a single night stop. We put our two boys on an extended rear parcel shelf and we sleep upstairs. With three you have fewer options, but you could have the twins in the boot and the six year old sleeping on the bench seat.

You only have two isofix points on the bench seat. The Maxi-Cosi Rodifix fit there wonderfully, and you'll need a belt seat for the middle position.

Gaffer tape. ;)

Have you got the three zone climatronic air conditioning? If not, well done! If you do, you will find that they are forever fiddling with the controls in the rear.

Long distances are best done late evening or overnight. See if you can find a setup which requires minimum fuss for a single night stop. We put our two boys on an extended rear parcel shelf and we sleep upstairs. With three you have fewer options, but you could have the twins in the boot and the six year old sleeping on the bench seat.

You only have two isofix points on the bench seat. The Maxi-Cosi Rodifix fit there wonderfully, and you'll need a belt seat for the middle position.
Interesting - I assumed the (3 seat) beach would have 3 Isofix points

Thanks. the isofix config is the same as the caravelle 3 seater bench so it works for us. With the younger kids we needed the extra isofix and twin sliders hence the Caravelle. Now they are more mobile the beach will work with the single door (if they decide to sell the twin slider beach They currently have in Germany we might trade again..).

Gaffer tape. ;)

You can block / override the rear controls from the drivers panel.

You can block / override the rear controls from the drivers panel.
A block would be nice!

You can override, but the little tykes can override your overriding before you can yell, "don't override", and even if you do manage to squeeze in a "don't override" command, they override your "don't override" command by overriding your override.

It's not a game, but they seem to think it is.

Congrats, it’s not easy finding a beach these days.

My recommendation is packing cubes. One for each adult. Once for each child. And one for bedtime stuff! Saves a lot of searching through bags for the right clothes.

It’s not easy camping with small kids, but mine (7 and 4) love sleeping upstairs and sleep very well up there. You just have to be organised.

Not sure how you’ll all sleep in the van or not, but make sure they give you the child safety net when you collect. It’s a good bit of kit. Stops them and their pillows falling out. And I learned from @Amarillo that you can leave it in place and fold the roof down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We find that with our three local grand kids 6, 8 and 10 sitting on the rear bench, the one with the A/C controls often uses that power to torture her siblings. The two youngest are girls who always sit in the two outer seats within high backed boosters. Incidently, whilst I love them dearly, these two little toads wouldn't be out of place at St Trinians! The result is that which ever sister is sitting in the control seat often uses the A/C to extract cries of "I'm freezing" or "I'm boiling" whilst smiling a look of demonic glee. Monty who sits in the middle has a fairly short fuse where sisters are concerned so all this shenanigans usually ends up in a distracting bench seat ding dong with fur and feathers flying everywhere. The result - I usually end up blowing a fuse and issuing red cards to all concerned.

You have all these joys to come.

So if anyone from VW is reading this thread may I make three little suggestions for your options list, also to be sold as after market accessories:

1. A rear compartment 3 zone Climatronic A/C isolation button in the cab.
2. A sound proof electric partition behind the front seats.
3. Built in tasers on the three rear bench seat positions.

:thumb

Last edited:
We find that with our three local grand kids 6, 8 and 10 sitting on the rear bench, the one with the A/C controls often uses that power to torture her siblings. The two youngest are girls who always sit in the two outer seats within high backed boosters. Incidently, whilst I love them dearly, these two little toads wouldn't be out of place at St Trinians! The result is that which ever sister is sitting in the control seat often uses the A/C to extract cries of "I'm freezing" or "I'm boiling" whilst smiling a look of demonic glee. Monty who sits in the middle has a fairly short fuse where sisters are concerned so all this shenanigans usually ends up in a distracting bench seat ding dong with fur and feathers flying everywhere. The result - I usually end up blowing a fuse and issuing red cards to all concerned.

You have all these joys to come.

So if anyone from VW is reading this thread may I make three little suggestions for your options list, also to be sold as after market accessories:

1. A rear compartment 3 zone Climatronic A/C isolation button in the cab.
2. A sound proof electric partition behind the front seats.
3. Built in tasers on the three rear bench seat positions.

I would pay good money for #2

Hello Jlr1,
I think that having already owned a Caravelle you have a head start on most other new Beach owners. I suspect that you developed a routine for "travelling" with your children in the Caravelle. As the beach only differs from the Caravelle in the "travelling" department by having one less slider and swivel front seats, I can't imagine that you will find it much different. The swivel front seats are a game changer when parked up though.

However when camping you have the Beach's pop top bed and a huge king sized down stairs bed. With the front seat swivelled and the roof up you will have a much different experience. With a family you may find a drive away awning or separate tent useful. You can use it as an equipment dump, cook in it and have a porta potty in there as well. At the very least consider getting a Comfortz awning room. These act like a large porch by attaching to the wind out awning. Very useful, easy to fit and takes up very little space.

May I suggest you read @Amarillo extensive blog about their year long travels around Europe in their Beach. It's not only very interesting but gives some excellent tips for anyone travelling with younger children.

Last edited:
Hello Jlr1,
I think that having already owned a Caravelle you have a head start on most other new Beach owners. I suspect that you developed a routine for "travelling" with your children in the Caravelle. As the beach only differs from the Caravelle in the "travelling" department by only by having one less slider and swivel front seats, I can't imagine that you will find it much different. The swivel front seats are a game changer when parked up though.

However when camping you have the Beach's pop top bed and a huge king sized down stairs bed. With the front seat swivelled and the roof up you will have a much different experience. With a family you may find a drive away awning or separate tent useful. You can use it as an equipment dump, cook in it and have a porta potty in there as well. At the very least consider getting a Comfortz awning room. These act like a large porch by attaching to the wind out awning. Very useful, easy to fit and takes up very little space.

May I suggest you read @Amarillo extensive blog about their year long travels around Europe. It's not only very interesting but gives some excellent tips for anyone travelling with younger children.
Thank you very much. I will read the blog. The step away from a twin slider has been tough but looking forward to adventures.

Headrest mounted TVs work amazingly for our 5 and almost 3 year old. Looks like we can play snap if we see each other! Identical.