Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Fridge

Goldie

Goldie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I was looking for a suitable fridge for my Beach and was deciding between a Waeco CF40 and CF50. Yesterday I was in the Birmingham area and decided to head for Midland Chandlers at Nuneaton and have a look at both. I was expecting a small boat chandlers, but there are a few massive warehouses full of boat and camping ware :eek:

The bottom line is I came away with a CF40 with a free insulation jacket and a Porta Potti Qube 345 (present for the missus as I already had a £1 builders bucket from Wickes for myself :smile ).

The CF40 sits nicely in the space between the bench cupboard and the passenger seat with enough space for ventilation and to fold out the lower bed. I have attached a picture of the fridge with the bed down and before the handles are attached and another in its cosy jacket.

The CF50 would probably fit as well, but I think it would be a bit of a squeeze.

The free jacket is great, as well as providing insulation it will protect the fridge from all those inevitable knocks.

Andy

PA050913.JPG PA050918.JPG

Awesome... I can't fault the waeco fridges, I went for the cfx35 which I have now mounted in the boot on an ARB fridge slide for safety and ease of access.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381040489.914312.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381040535.631378.jpg

Nice fridge and fixing kit, looks a bit more robust than the cf-40. I guess you have the 3 seat Beach bench seat and a higher baseboard than the Beach with the two seat bench where the baseboard is lower and fixed. The CF-40 would not fit in the same position in mine.

Although mine fits snugly, I'll put a strap through the handles and around the lower metal part of the passenger seat to ensure it can't move around.

Andy

Thanks! - Yes, we have the 3-seat beach with the slightly higher multiflex board.

Originally we had our fridge in the same position as you, but decided we didn't want it in the passenger compartment for a number of reasons.

On a full leisure battery we can get three full days at 1degree as long as the ambient temperature is kept in check!!... amazing!

I've also got an old Electrolux RC1600 (bought in the 1980s I believe) that works on 240v, 12v and gas. 12v operation is really poor - unregulated, but good on 240v and Gas. I was going to use that on an inverter but decided that the compressor unit in the CF-40 is much more efficient and quiet compared to the absorption technology in the RC1600 and cheaper Waeco units.

Andy

I have a 10 year old engel MF45which has been fantastic, its been in the cellar as a beer fridge for the last few years but I took it out stripped it down hovered and power washed it and its looking good again apart from a few dents. I looked at Waeco fridges at the time but the engel has a more robust reputation (which was fine for the landrover) now though I think I would buy a Waeco 35 litre for the beach

I have the same issue though i would like it mounted behind the front seat but am trying to figure out how to fix it securely, the strapping hooks are not in the optimum places

Is it possible to buy a strapping loop to put in the seat channels?

Thanks Ian

swisspace said:
I have a 10 year old engel MF45which has been fantastic, its been in the cellar as a beer fridge for the last few years but I took it out stripped it down hovered and power washed it and its looking good again apart from a few dents. I looked at Waeco fridges at the time but the engel has a more robust reputation (which was fine for the landrover) now though I think I would buy a Waeco 35 litre for the beach

I have the same issue though i would like it mounted behind the front seat but am trying to figure out how to fix it securely, the strapping hooks are not in the optimum places

Is it possible to buy a strapping loop to put in the seat channels?

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian,

I have tried to fit the VW tie down loops (nice sprung chrome ones that fit on the end of the floor rail) from the Caravelle, but unfortunately they don't fit the Cali floor rail. VW do have a rather crudely cut lashing eye that will hook in and slide up the rail.
Lashing Eye Part No. 7H5802994A

Otherwise these after market tie down hooks, which come in a pack of 4, where mentioned a while back on the forum, but I haven't got round to buying any yet so can't offer an opinion on them.
http://tinyurl.com/px4c5df

Alan

Thanks for the tip Alan the aftermarket ones look good, I was thinking of making some myself but will maybe splash out on those. I need to check the layout first as I would like to keep the walkway between front seats as clear as possible.

Back