Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Mattress Review

S

syrup1971

VIP Member
Just received my mattress from Nick + Comfort Pet supplies

1st Impressions

Quick delivery & well packaged.

It's big! The size caught me a little off guard. The Beach lower bed is the full van width, and as such is significantly bigger than the standard Cali (This can be viewed as an advantage of course ;) ) It's probably less of an issue with the 4/5 seat beach, but for a beach with a middle row, then you don't normally want the multiflex board in the full position, but in the hinged position. I found that with it in the hinged position, the mattress does fit behind the seat, only reducing rear space slightly:

7204905978_f20e3bbbc6_z.jpg

Quality & fit
Seems to be well made & the material, whilst not being an exact match, does a pretty good job of blending in with the Beach.

The construction seems to be good, with the fit in the van being very good. I'd argue that it could be a tad narrower, to make fitting in slightly easier. I guess it might move around a little more then though.

7204914362_70eb13c369_z.jpg

7204915586_050543563f_z.jpg

Also, some people might be interested in how it fits with the 2 middle seats in position. You remove the front stops from the rails, and move the chairs all the way forward, the seat can then be folded down:

7204911568_c1eea94da9_z.jpg

7204912726_240dc7b519_z.jpg

Comfort

This is certainly where this product scores! It transforms the seats into a comfy bed. It seems to have really struck the right balance between thickness of mattress & comfort. All of the unevenness of the seat has gone, and the foam seems to give an excellent level of support.

Conclusion
Seems to be a great product, but do be aware of the physical size of it. I guess the smaller alternative would be a pair of Thermarests, but this wouldn't even approach the same comfort levels.

I'll try to update the review after several nights use, to comment further on the comfort levels, and durability

Chris

Excellent review. Thanks very much and thanks for the photos.

:hello Chris, great review :D

Yes it is a monster alright!

I'd agree on the width, we've sold several of these mattresses but this is the first I've seen pictures of in the van. It does look a little tight, I guess some folks would like this as you said it wouln't move, but I'd say our width measurements maybe need taking down by half an inch or an inch maybe?

What do you think Chris

:thanks

Nick

It's certainly a snug fit. I'd be inclined to say it could loose an inch on either side. You'll still have a massive mattress ;)

Sure, it should be no problem (though I haven't tested it without extra seats in yet). I had the flex board in folded down position, hence where the photo shows the end of the mattress sticking over onto the middle row seats. If they were removed, and the bed was in the full position, I'd expect a perfect fit.

Fortunately, being fairly short 5'7 , means the short bed fits me just fine, so we don't have to remove the seats.

Chris

Back