Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean, and Heat Loss through Pop Up Roof

Stuarty

Stuarty

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Guys,

Great forum!!
I'm sure this question has been asked loads of times already, but I have a dilemma with the beach vs ocean option.....

I'm quite keen on the Beach tbh. I like the idea of the flexibility in the back and the wider downstairs bed. Also, I've got a camper just now, and have found that over the years I have hardly used the sink and hob, preferring to cook and clean outside to prevent spills / smells from getting into the van. I also think it is perhaps a little bit safer.

I have also got an lpg heater that I have never used, having always found it that warm that I've need to open windows rather than generate more heat inside. My exiting van has a hard top medium height roof, so that maybe keeps the heat a bit better. Can anyone offer any advice as to whether much heat is lost through the pop up roof please?

Also, the problem I have is that by the time I add some of the extras I fancy onto the beach, I'm not that far away price wise from an Ocean. Maybe between £3000-£7500 difference depending what options I go for.

Would you guys say, for the sake of say £5000 is it worth going for the ocean, maybe for future value and re-sell ability, and never use the hob and sink? Or should I just go for the beach??......

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum has some great advice and obviously loads of experienced people using it so I appreciate any thoughts you guys may have.

Cheers!

Hi, unlike conversions which often have a lot of insulation covered by plywood and carpet covering all the internal panels the Beach and Ocean do not . The canvas bellows have ventilation vents that should not be sealed and is not insulated.
Now you can get an external roof topper that will keep the bellows dry and additionally insulated or an internal topper that just insulates. For all year round use you really need the Diesel Parking Heater, standard on the Ocean and an accessory on the Beach.
If you just intend to use the vehicle for a few weeks in the summer then you may not need the heater but the Beach with the Heater is a sort after vehicle.

Hi and welcome , you answerd some of your own Q's .
There is loooooots to find on pro/con Beach/SE-Ocean

For me the heater is most essential in a small verhicle like the Cali , not just to warm up but to dry out wet clothing and prevent condens ( heating in combination with ventilation)

Hi WelshGas and hotel california! Thanks both for your replies and advice. All taken onboard!
Cheers.