Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof advice

Timø

Timø

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there. Just bought my Cali last month and have been enjoying the sunny weather. May I ask for some simple advice about our pop-up roof please.
Just two questions;
Firstly, if we want to pack up and move on after a wet night, or if the canvas has dew on it, can we just fold it down? Won’t the bed become damp as it lies against it?
Second, our canvas roof bellows is looking a little sad and we want to replace it. Someone on another thread suggested £650 for a replacement. Any suggestions on where is best to go. We live in the Lake District.
Thank you.

Hi there. Just bought my Cali last month and have been enjoying the sunny weather. May I ask for some simple advice about our pop-up roof please.
Just two questions;
Firstly, if we want to pack up and move on after a wet night, or if the canvas has dew on it, can we just fold it down? Won’t the bed become damp as it lies against it?
Second, our canvas roof bellows is looking a little sad and we want to replace it. Someone on another thread suggested £650 for a replacement. Any suggestions on where is best to go. We live in the Lake District.
Thank you.
In answer to your questions.
YES, if the canvas is wet the mattress will get wet/damp when roof lowered.

Use a Topper or a Waterproof Mattress Cover.

Cannot suggest anyone local to you, I’m afraid.

Get yourself a calicap to stop the roof getting wet.
Yes when you put the roof down when wet the bed can
get a bit damp, just remember to put the roof back up
to dry it out when you get home.
Have you any pics of your sad looking roof.

Get yourself a calicap to stop the roof getting wet.
Yes when you put the roof down when wet the bed can
get a bit damp, just remember to put the roof back up
to dry it out when you get home.
Have you any pics of your sad looking roof.
Thanks Westfalia. It’s just sad because it has two or three very small holes which have been repaired. The rest of the van is in such a great condition, it’s a shame this looks it’s age.

Thanks Westfalia. It’s just sad because it has two or three very small holes which have been repaired. The rest of the van is in such a great condition, it’s a shame this looks it’s age.
Well i would definitely recommend getting a calicap ( other brands are available of course )
even if you get new roof bellows you will still need it especially where you live. lol.

Just two questions;
Thank you.
I'd suggest you don't replace unless it's really bad. There's a good chance you'll put a tear in the canvas at some point. If it still functions and doesn't look awful wait until you really need to replace it.
Get a topper!

I would not worry about two or three holes in the bellows as long as they are not getting bigger and they do not let water in. There are an awful lot of Cali's being driven around with small holes and liberal applications of tear aid :)

I have a lightweight waterproof sheet that I just pop over the upstairs mattress if lowering a wet roof. In practice the roof has to be seriously wet to have any significant impact.

Whilst we are on the subject of Calicap. Is it a good idea to have it on when its sunny?

Whilst we are on the subject of Calicap. Is it a good idea to have it on when its sunny?
I don't see any point apart from offering a bit of sun protection for the roof canvas.

Just two questions;
Thank you.
Hi and welcome. An excellent Cali dealer/service agent not far from you is the "Volkswagen Van Centre, Lancashire", just off the M6 ( PR2 5BL). Cali club VIP members get 10% discount on parts, servicing etc.

Only potential drawback could be that the cap doesn't have any vents which could possibly trap the heat inside. Catch 22 situation?

Thanks everyone. Good advice to wait until we need to replace the bellows rather than just for appearance. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on the top covers given the state of our weather in the UK. Fair enough, we're enjoying odd weather just now but a huge advantage of a Cali over its more standards cousins is the addition of double glazing, air con throughout and a heater so I would have thought this would be essential stuff especially if we want to camp year round.
Has anyone any further recommendations regarding covers v wrap arounds. They do seem a little expensive for what they are.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on the top covers
use the search "roof toppers", there's plenty of info on here.

Larrylamb, I was about to send an updates saying I'd now found lots of advice but, you know, I got so engrossed reading them all I forgot! Many thanks.

If you get a new canvas, the T6 material is better for folding in when lowered due to the inlaid strips, plus seems to dry quicker. We don't have a topper and have put it away wet both on our 6 and the 5 before hand with no damp issues.

If you get a new canvas, the T6 material is better for folding in when lowered due to the inlaid strips, plus seems to dry quicker. We don't have a topper and have put it away wet both on our 6 and the 5 before hand with no damp issues.
But we don´t know if the t6 roof fits.

Thanks everyone. Good advice to wait until we need to replace the bellows rather than just for appearance. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on the top covers given the state of our weather in the UK. Fair enough, we're enjoying odd weather just now but a huge advantage of a Cali over its more standards cousins is the addition of double glazing, air con throughout and a heater so I would have thought this would be essential stuff especially if we want to camp year round.
Has anyone any further recommendations regarding covers v wrap arounds. They do seem a little expensive for what they are.
I don't think the impact of a few Double Glazed units coupled with a number of single glazed windows and a Canvas bellows will have much impact. Likewise the AirCon which works off the engine so no good when camping, but the Diesel Parking Heater is a + + + + and makes the California a year round camper.

Different Part Nos for the bellows 2008 and 2016.
Yes but they started with having 2 side windows then added a front window,then changed
the material so there will be a few different part numbers.
If it´s no trouble could you check if there is a part number difference on the rear scissor
hinge from a 2006 to 2018.

Yes but they started with having 2 side windows then added a front window,then changed
the material so there will be a few different part numbers.
If it´s no trouble could you check if there is a part number difference on the rear scissor
hinge from a 2006 to 2018.
Part Nos changed in 2008

D89938F5-355E-4CFD-8EF1-D10C732FD37E.jpeg 7F4492C3-70D0-4B5C-BECB-DA8D20A301A2.jpeg

Thanks guys. I'm in the middle of trying to get quotes. Can you believe the nearest VW Commercial dealership near me (lets just say it's in South Lakeland) quoted me 'in the region of £1250" to just replace the bellows!