Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach vs SE?

D

Doddy

About to buy a California. Always been committed campers, and outdoor/mountaineering, now with 2 children. Torn between the versatility of a beach+/- tent and maybe cooking pod or going the whole hog for an SE. The sink/water seem to use excess space, but ability for a quick brew after activities is appealing. Any thoughts or advice please.

Both are good - but suit different approaches to camping (you kind of hit the nail on your head in your post). We have two kids and find it much less stressful to cook outside the van. We also tend to camp where there is no hook up etc so tend to be a bit more off grid. We also find with general kids stuff we need a tent anyhow to put bikes and general detritus out the way.

We therefore bought a beach which also has the benefit of the bigger bed on the bottom. We formed this opinion having hired an SE on a couple of occasions. I think that is probably the best approach... go hire an SE and see how you get on with it and if you value the extra items. For us when cooking in the van we found it too tight to have the rest of the family in the van... but can see if you were just a couple how well this would work. The one thing we do miss though is the proper fridge!

Hope that helps.

Steve.

Trotters said:
SE is more refined

Yes full Cali feels more refined to drive. It's such a personal thing that better doesn't really exist, it's really a case of what suits your needs

From a personal perspective having used both I'd rather use a Beach as a daily driver. Camping wise I think the Beach offers everything, even the versatility of aftermarket pods which means you really can have the best of both worlds.

I love the SE and it's a shame they don't import the 180 Beach to the UK but i would take the Beach every time. Off grid camping is certainly easier in the SE

James

For me, I think the type of use would be the driver here - is it short trips/days out or long trips?

Short trips/days out, the flexibility of the SE would win every time for me. With a family of four on a longer trip with an awning etc then I think the beach would be the way.

Thanks for thoughts, definitely moving towards Beach. Other question is 2 or 3 seat bench. Sounds like the back board is much more versatile in 3 seat - although we don't really need 3 rear seats just want maximum versatility. Is there any way round the fixed board in the 2 seat bench? Doddy

Doddy said:
Thanks for thoughts, definitely moving towards Beach. Other question is 2 or 3 seat bench. Sounds like the back board is much more versatile in 3 seat - although we don't really need 3 rear seats just want maximum versatility. Is there any way round the fixed board in the 2 seat bench? Doddy

What do you want to use the Beach for?

The two seater is primarily the camping vehicle, the three seater the MPV. The seater two has a lower fixed rear board, a lower back seat etc. You can't really add extra seats, though one will squeeze in.

The three seater will allow the addition of the two and with the adjustable board at the back you can push the rear bench back or make the long bed if you have two additional seats. The three seater is also more adept at taking the VW Coolbox.

In truth both will do either job, they're just more geared or meant to be geared to one function. I used to think the two seater was really not as good as the three seater and it made more sense to buy the three seater but in truth, having owned my three seater Beach for two years and prodded around a two seater, I'd be okay with either. They are both excellent vehicles.

James

Doddy said:

We got a 3 seat just two of us and the dog having the extra room for Fred (dog) to sit when we're in the back is nice...

If you want a pod then your better off with the 2 seat then there will be room for a pod down the side of your seats...

Cheers

Shaun

bournemouthbeach said:
Doddy said:

We got a 3 seat just two of us and the dog having the extra room for Fred (dog) to sit when we're in the back is nice...

If you want a pod then your better off with the 2 seat then there will be room for a pod down the side of your seats...

Cheers

Shaun
I think you'll find that most pods are actually designed for the 3 seat Beach as per Andy's reply on the Maxxcamp video thread :D

Alasdair

Doddy said:
Worthwhile digging out the thread on Pods on here. The bed in the 2 seater bench beach is quite long, which means space is quite limited when it comes to fitting a pod. Also with the Pod in place it will be difficult to use the internal table. I'm building a pod to sit behind the drivers seat which means for two of us we can use the passenger seat (reversed) and the bench seat.

Pod will be easily removable and can sit in the awning if staying more than one night. With two children you would (probably) be better with the 3 seater and a couple of extra seats you can remove when camping and (maybe) take a pod. You then have an MPV and a camper van. With the 2 seater you have a car and a camper van if that makes sense.

I had thought about getting a shorter board, but you would need to cut about 6-8" off the metal frame to shorten it. There are 2nd hand ones for around £450, but decided it was too costly and I didn't want to cut the original.

Andy

A tricky one - some of the kitchen stuff IS a bit rubbish in an SE - we've only used the sink to wash up a few times and generally it's just a source of water for filling the kettle or brushing teeth.

The hob is clearly quite limited in usefulness but we find we can cook most things on it.

The bench seat in an SE really is rather small and strictly two seats only - we do find that a bit annoying sometimes although we only have two young kids.

Our "big" holidays have been a week in Mull and five weeks in Europe.

Mull was often cold and windy so we used to kitchen bits a lot (the fridge is brilliant IMO) but in Europe where it was warm, we used a cheap Sunncamp two ring camping stove perched on a table 99% of the time for cooking, water heating, etc - on both trips we used campsite wash facilities for all washing up. We only use the sink for the odd rinse out of mugs, etc.

So the kitchen stuff is nice to have but you do limit space and if abroad in warm weather, it doesn't get used much - but in cold camping, filling up the kettle and have a brew in the comfort of your van (from bed too!) is really rather cosy.

Back