Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Snobbery

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I do hope us Beach and prospective Beach owners dont get too snobby about having discovered the very best of all worlds - It seems from this forum that more and more people are opting for the flexibility of this unique vehicle and i would hate to think any snobbery would slip into 'general california chat' discussions. I dont think Beachy people are the types to be snobby - what does everyone else think ?

Lol
Its just a horrible feeling knowing you have picked the best of the best.
Its a swiss-army knife :D:D:D

I feel like I've just been beach slapped! Do appreciate the beach though.

So,

Three seat or two seat beach?

If you go away for a couple of weeks with clothes, pots, pans, plates, wine .... where does it all go?

Serious replies on a postcard please because I have been toying with the idea of a Beach replacement for the last 6 months.

Does that explain why there are so many threads focusing on turning Beach's into SE's by retro fitting fridges/cookers etc?
:D

I have yet to figure out my storage, but that will all be determined when I have my hands on my Beach and can see how to work with the space, but with the taller multiflex board on the 3 seater, I don't see it being a problem. I suspect that in the short term, it will be boxed/crated.

Like many, I went for the Beach so that it is a one vehicle solution for me and my boys, whether its a shopping trip, long haul to the south of Spain camping, or pootling around the UK taking photos and hiding from the rain while I have a comfy brew. Its rising popularity is not surprising; after all, the Beach has not been around for that long and so it will have taken a while for people to get past the 'poor person's California' image that some still label it with and see it for its own merits.

Snobbery is just silly. Its not hard to see why people prefer the SE/Ocean for their needs and I am just thrilled that we have options! The bonus for me is that the better fit for my needs also happens to be the cheapest.

I do find the idea of leaving loads of weight behind when I use the vehicle as a long distance tourer attractive.

There are times that I have been away camping and just not used the hob.

Against all that is where do I put everything when I do go away for a self-sufficient camping trip, no britstops or handy pub next door and miles away from towns, taps and toilets? By put everything I mean stow it so I do not have to keep moving everything out of the way when I want to use the lower bed or rearrange the interior every time that I want to boil a kettle?

Such are the complex, and pleasant, conundrums of life :D

Next we will get the question Do T6 owners look down on T5 owners and do T5 owners look down on T4 owners or colour conflicts. I once said I did not like Blackberry as a colour (my view) and was told my white van looked like an ambulance. Putting to one side any Snobbery and differences.
  • There have been people who have had an SE and changed for a Beach
  • There have been people who have had a Beach and changed for SE
  • There have been people who have had a California who have changed for a Motorhome
  • There have been people who have had a Motorhome and have changed to a California
  • There have been people who have had a California and quickly sold it as a van dream was not for them.
I think at the end of the day we end up with the van that meeds ones own needs. We love our campervan and use it a lot.

I have owned Volkswagen vans for almost 20 years in one form or another. My current ride is my 2012 beach which I have owned for 3 years and I can honestly say it works perfectly for me.

Having owned a self converted T5 which had all the trimmings, cooker fridge etc. I think I used the hob about 3 times in 2 years. I found the side storage looked more useful than it actually was. The most used item was the fridge and diesel heater. Hence once I decided to replace that van, it was the Beach that fit the bill. Obviously it depends on how you camp. But usually I keep milk and juices in the fridge for breakfast. I have a kettle for morning tea plus jet boil in case we have no hook-up. Lunch for me is coffee and cake. I don't drink instant, so always end up in a coffee shop. I need my daily fix:embarrased
Dinner is a mix on how I feel. I have a cobb BBQ oven, which I use under the awning and have even cooked outside in the rain. Otherwise its local pub or restaurant. Part of travelling for me is eating out and experiencing local foods. On a two week trip abroad I will probably cook an evening meal 5 nights out of 14.
On the other hand, weekends away I have cooked meals for the whole trips, it just really depends on what I want to do.

Storage isn't a problem in a Beach once you have a system, but that's the same with any campervan. They are always thin on storage, its finding what works for you. Typically this is how I pack:

Storage draw 1 - plates, bowls, cutlery and glasses
Storage draw 2 - cereals, biscuits etc
Storage draw 3 - salt, pepper, utensils and other bits and bobs
Side storage - mugs, tea bags kitchen towel, wet wipes, torches
Bedding - On top of rear shelf
Clothes in softcase under shelf plus, cobb oven, jetboil and wetsuits and toys and things in storage boxes
Volkswagen Fridge/coolbox, behind passenger seat
First aid and emergency kit in wheels jack compartment
Levelling ramps with chairs in tailgate.

Infact I have too many things to list. There are al sorts of camping bits and bobs stored somewhere, front pockets, rear pocket, behind the chairs etc etc
Its amazing how much you can get into the vehicle once you have worked out a system:thumb
I need to do a video:cool:

My experience of 5 years in the "VW scene" (and I'm talking Splits through to T6's here) is yes there is plenty of it but it's generally a minority of insecure owners who look down on other lower or higher T numbers to boost their own self esteem. It's all about feeling better about their own decisions and expenditure by putting someone else's down. My view however, there isn't a right or a wrong way, there is only the best way for you and your circumstances. :) Ive had split screens wave at me in the T3, and follow me in convoy for miles. I've also had bay drivers say they'd never wave at a T25 because it is "not old enough". Its quite funny really his van was only 6 years younger.

No matter what though VW vans are a slippery and expensive slope, the risk of a campervan ownership habit is high. My 2.5k van, quickly turned into a 10k van, with a restoration, new engine, paint job and new interior, then I pondered a T5 conversion for a more modern drive and reliability. Before I knew it I had a Cali Beach instead of a new car. Ouch! Took me a while to get used to not having to fix it every few hundred miles though. ;)

Yup true, I want a kitchen in my beach, but I don't want to pay to carry it around with me all day when I'm not camping or lose that space either. Each to their own thats the beauty there is generally something for everyone.. :)

....this is getting out of hand and borred , imo.
We all want a lesure verhicle that suits our personal needs and favors , and fits in our budget .
So nothing to do with snobbery .
Can we please have posts that are not splitting the forum up?
Thankx.
If this is meant to be just a teaser like the DSG snobbery post , excuse me for beeing to serious!

So,

Three seat or two seat beach?

If you go away for a couple of weeks with clothes, pots, pans, plates, wine .... where does it all go?

Serious replies on a postcard please because I have been toying with the idea of a Beach replacement for the last 6 months.

I find the best place for the wine is in my tummy ;)

We all have differing needs, budgets and lifestyles and I for one don't think there is any snobbery on the forum. Talking to people about their vans/tents/caravans on site is one of the lovely things about camping and I rarely come across snobs.

Oh, let me make a cup of tea while I think about that one...

Back