Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bealach na ba - how terrifying or should we go the long way round?

As others have said, the Bealach na Ba is fine - exhilarating rather than terrifying.

On campsites, I prefer Camusdarach to Invercaimbe. However I’ve just stayed a couple of nights at Sunnyside Croft and you might want to try that? It’s literally a stone’s throw from Invercaimbe and shares the same beaches, has modern facilities and is well run.
Oh many thanks not heard of that one so will check it out.

A few corners later I had to grab the last guy from the gravel in a corner. Nothing serious - a broken shifter pedal and a dent in his self esteem. Elderly men (I dare to say - I’m 59) and a bit nervous driving. Anyone with biking experience can see that in seconds.

Since visitscotland is promoting the westcoast and all the highlights of the far north, in the summer holiday you will probably end up in two passing places forward and one backward. Or maybe it’s better to make it one-way traffic. :)

Best advice is learn patience. Let following vehicle pass. Plan your trip to be longer time wise than anticipated. Give way with a wave. Expect everyone to do the opposite. Learn patience.
The summer months will be very busy as more and more companies advertise the route without thought for the capacity. Just drive safe and take your time. :thumb

Ok so how terrifying is the bealach na ba pass really?

I'm a bit of a nervous passenger when I have sheer drops to my side to contend with (obviously I blame the driver!).

So how terrifying is it really or is it all just part of its reputation? Will we plunge to our death or be divorced before we get to applecross or should we go the long way round?

Also any advice on whether to go for invercaimbe or camursdarach campsite on our way up the coast?
You'll be fine. There's nothing difficult about driving this road, unless it's during the winter in snow and icy conditions (when IMO it would be best avoided). The view from the top is spectacular. If you don't do it you'll have missed out on one of the best drives in the UK.

There are far worse roads in the UK. Been over it in vans and on a road bike. Nothing bad at all and lots of passing places. Although the pub is great, as is the restaurant heading N outside the village , the Kishorn seafood bar is also worth a visit.
Really really really recommend booking the pub if you want to eat or you will end up sat outside with the midges. To be fair we had a great experience sat looking over the water talking to an American couple (who were visiting their ancestors home) eating fish and chips.

the Kishorn seafood bar is also worth a visit. [/QUOTE said:
The Kishorn seafood bar is more than worth a visit. We landed there at noon, after we had fled the mud on the campsite of Applecross. The seafood is delicious and affordable, and we got a table right after walking in. When we left an hour later, there was a queue outside of more than fifteen - in the rain.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
20150805_134038.jpg
Kishorn Seafood Bar.

20150805_121515.jpg

Campsite Applecros in august 2015, the wettest season in Scotland for years.

e19d1e93c822be11025aafeae22ba027.jpg

97a7e39fd83bc8e4b04d38cf3b15e862.jpg

A wee April update on driving up the Bealach na Ba. Barely any traffic at this time of year, met around six cars across the whole thing. A big white managed it fairly easily too. Dry conditions, a little windy but nothing more. I grew up on Scottish roads, now live in Sussex, have seen worse in both places tbh. But the views are unrivalled, and you’ll kick yourself if you miss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's vastly exaggerated how difficult it is; if you're only used to driving the school run, perhaps, but if you've experience of hilly country lanes it's really no biggie. I've done it in a 22ft motorhome (it was fine, despite having to do a hill-start on the steepest bit adjacent to a passing place) and on a motorbike. Both times were this time of year though. The biggest issue I had in the motorhome (and the same would apply in a Cali or even a car) is it's popular with cyclists, but they understandably are grinding very slowly up it - overtaking them isn't possible unless you time it perfectly with a passing place, so you can end up doing a lot of clutch-slipping waiting for that chance as you crawl along behind them at 4mph. Not sure if 1st gear on the DSG would be low enough for that without the clutch slipping?

The driveway where we are staying in Catalonia is far worse than that pass. We have to stop & open some gates halfway up, it’s so steep that the handbrake won’t hold the van on its own, it makes the restart interesting. although I have to say the 4 motion deals with it better than our previous fwd vans.

There’s one hairpin just up the road where I am pretty sure we only have three wheels touching the ground.

We also have the reverse of potholes, tree roots under the tarmac making sump ripping lumps in the road a couple of inches high.

e19d1e93c822be11025aafeae22ba027.jpg

97a7e39fd83bc8e4b04d38cf3b15e862.jpg

A wee April update on driving up the Bealach na Ba. Barely any traffic at this time of year, met around six cars across the whole thing. A big white managed it fairly easily too. Dry conditions, a little windy but nothing more. I grew up on Scottish roads, now live in Sussex, have seen worse in both places tbh. But the views are unrivalled, and you’ll kick yourself if you miss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April a couple of years ago. A bit of snow but road still open and ok.

5BB6E45E-468A-4B0B-BDD8-CA3EFE0251EA.jpeg

It is a splendid drive in either direction but IMO the best direction is downhill (ie away from Applecross) as part-way down the view suddenly opens up in front of you down to Loch Kishorn. Stunning.

It’s 18 years since we did the route ‘ up and over’, interesting someone mentioned “stay on the tarmac’, it was gravel when we did it . First time we’d ever seen a sign saying “No inexperienced drivers’ …. is it still there, I doubt it reading the posts here !

Maybe some tarmac and just felt like gravel !!!