Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed not level?

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Just getting ready for the bank holiday getaway, first trip and noticed that the rack at the tailgate end is not level when adjusted to the top adjustment slot. Has anyone noticed this. It’s out by about 15mm so a little difficult to align

Thanks

where are you measuring the 15mm please? perhaps a photo will help to see.

Is it not level fore and aft or side to side??
Just asking that you have seen the forward slots for the ‘rack’
Apologies if this is too simplistic but sat here sitting looking out of my window thought I would throw in my suggestion ......

Hi Alan,

Measuring from the bottom of the bar, ie the rack on each side to the cill

0EE6FB84-EBE5-4C31-8AC2-E797C87315E0.jpeg

Is it not level fore and aft or side to side??
Just asking that you have seen the forward slots for the ‘rack’
Apologies if this is too simplistic but sat here sitting looking out of my window thought I would throw in my suggestion ......
Hi Eddie measurements on each side downwards to the cill.

Mine is 16” , frame to floor , both sides. Difficult to be constructive without seeing it, sorry
Good luck with it .

Right hand bolt doesn't look to be engaged, but it's hard to see for sure.

Just checked mine and it’s about 10mm lower on the right.

Have checked these dimensions (Red lines)? Sill to bottom of bracket? These should be the same. When I took delivery of my Cali the shelf (grill) was slightly distorted (4/5mm). A gentle twist and all was well but 15mm seems a lot, so would be reluctant to take that on. If your van is new I would get your dealer to sort it out.
Sorry for lack of straight lines on your photo!

Well just measured to the bottom of the retaining brackets and there is the answer they are pissed.about 12/15 mm variant.

Maybe VW tolerance, not mine as you have to force the opposite latch into position.

Thanks for your reply’s would be interesting to see if any are set level.

Have checked these dimensions (Red lines)? Sill to bottom of bracket? These should be the same. When I took delivery of my Cali the shelf (grill) was slightly distorted (4/5mm). A gentle twist and all was well but 15mm seems a lot, so would be reluctant to take that on. If your van is new I would get your dealer to sort it out.
Sorry for lack of straight lines on your photo!
View attachment 43440

No worries have you been on the red wine :thumb

Just had a play with my shelf. Think I understand your problem.
The shelf is locked in four places and in order to move the front (as you look into back of van) of the shelf to the upper or lower setting location necessitates for the rear (furthest from you) location points to move to the same extent on each side. They don't do this with a load on the shelf. Solution? Remove load from shelf, unlock front of shelf and wiggle the shelf until front location holes align with the bolts. Lock the front of shelf by inserting the bolts and all should be good. Here are some photos of mine before and after. 51=LHS low, 52=RHS low, 54=LHS high with mismatch and 55=LHS after a wiggle! Hope you understand my explanation. Let me know how you get on. Have a great weekend away - first trip? Exciting!!

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2355 (002).JPG

Back