Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean lower bed - can the grill be on either height level ?

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

I always kept the boot metal shelf on the lowest position, can the lower bed be used also with the shelf on the high one ?

(for reference, these are great pics
)

Hi

I always kept the boot metal shelf on the lowest position, can the lower bed be used also with the shelf on the high one ?

)
The VW Comfort mattress is thicker on the metal frame end, so if you sleep whilst the rail is on the higher setting hen there will be a raised section that you sleep on.

We drive with the metal frame on the higher setting to make it easier to store things like the awning bag.

We tend to sleep upstairs so not an issue. If it were we'd simply move the frame to the lower slots.

Hi

)
Yes.
However if you have the VW Comfort mattress, you would need to remove the excess foam from the section that sits on the shelf .

Yes I have the VW Comfort mattress - I guess I will try to set up the bed and see how much of a hump occurs. I like the higher setting ... more boot space

thanks all

One way to use the bed in upper position is to invest in a Brandrup iXTEND folding mattress, which has three equal thickness sections. Then a thinner (6.5 cm ) iXTEND PAD under it on the metal frame. Very expensive, but comfortable and well made.

Yes I have the VW Comfort mattress - I guess I will try to set up the bed and see how much of a hump occurs. I like the higher setting ... more boot space

thanks all
It’ll be quite a hump, since it’s the difference between your lower and upper shelf positions! If you go for the upper position permanently you’ll need to change to a different topper with the same thickness throughout - at least that’s what we found. We live v near you by the looks of things so happy to let you see what we’ve got it you need.

One way to use the bed in upper position is to invest in a Brandrup iXTEND folding mattress, which has three equal thickness sections. Then a thinner (6.5 cm ) iXTEND PAD under it on the metal frame. Very expensive, but comfortable and well made.
We found that there seem to be differences between different model years on this. When we have our shelf on the top setting then it is totally flush with the rest of the bed ie no need for any extra levelling piece like the 6.5cm one you mention. I think on earlier models that wasn’t the case though.

The other choice for packing which we use if we will have to make the bed up when the boot is full, is to have it on the lower setting at the front and the higher one at the back. This is for the same reason as you, that the awning fits better under the shelf that way. Avoids the hump at the seat end and just slightly head up, assuming you sleep that way round.

I sometimes put the metal frame on the higher setting but remove the thin standard cushion (I have a memory foam topper instead of the comfort mattress). This means that I sleep with my head to the front of the van (due to the lack of padding at the tailgate end).

Back