Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows becoming detached

MyT6.1 Ocean went in for it's 2yr service today - with a hand full of things to fix.

One issue being the Pop top roof bellows (pulled away in 2 corners & repeatedly does so after poking the rubber sil back into the groove).

My local VW service centre said they have to try glueing before they are willing to replace the bellows - feels a little like i'm being fobbed off?

Also the roof sags when left open (over night). It does however go fully up when I ask it to via the control panel. VW said this is normal - and after a set time, the van will raise the roof automatically - has anyone else had this experience?
There will be a service bulletin that for any warranty claim to be approved on the bellow where there is pulling a glue remedy has to be tried first. Unless the garage does this then VW is unlikely to approve the larger claim.
There is a lot of chatter around how normal it is for the sag. Ours does, about 1", after 3 days. Others are worse. It's to do with the quality of the seals on the hydralic rams. Over time some sag as the pressure "leaks". Some have managed to get it fixed with lots of complaining and new rams, others have done themselves, others have your explanation. Always felt to me the automatic roof raising was a bit of a software after the fact fix for a downstream issue not properly resolved. So far not been bad enough for me to complain.

Last edited:
Stow, many thanks for this reply, much appreciated.

This might make me laugh.

Just picked my van up from the VW service centre. I asked if the bellows have been successfully glued, and if it’s been tested to see if the bellows pop out. I was assured it was.

Then, with no sense of irony, the chap said that the workshop had requested that I don’t raise the roof for 12 hours, just to be sure that the glue has set.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I’m fairly confident I’m going to be returning sooner than I had hoped.

Most glues gain their max strength after 12 to 48 hours. Even stickers do improve on strength after some time. So the advice is not as senseless as you might think. You can test, make sure everything is OK and then remove the tension to let the glue set for permanent fixation.

They could have kept your van for some extra days for this. I wonder if you would be happy to pay for that...

Just picked my van up from the VW service centre. I asked if the bellows have been successfully glued, and if it’s been tested to see if the bellows pop out. I was assured it was.

Then, with no sense of irony, the chap said that the workshop had requested that I don’t raise the roof for 12 hours, just to be sure that the glue has set.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I’m fairly confident I’m going to be returning sooner than I had hoped.
All interesting. Let’s see how the glue holds up.

Many thanks all.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I’m fairly confident I’m going to be returning sooner than I had hop

Sikaflex is the best fix. But from factory the bellows are sort of crimped in with a tool. No glue or sealer

Back