Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows becoming detached

And congratulations to you too!

Over the weekend I was able to use a soft plastic trim tool to gently push the rubber seals back into the channel on both front upper corners. On inspection of the rears, they were coming away slightly too but I was able to do the same with those corners.

I've raised and lowered the roof a few times and the seals seem to be holding in place for now.

In terms of getting you a picture, I've re-uploaded the one posted by another member on this thread as it shows the exact same symptom - all be it, repeated on both front corners in our case and the rear very to a much smaller extent on the rear corners.

View attachment 50155

Obviously I'm pleased that my fix seems to be working for now but I don't feel confident that the issue won't re-occur if the weather is hot again etc.

As we are so far from your dealership (we live in Aberfoyle, Scotland) I'm a bit reluctant to pop in!

Thank you for your help!

Craig.
Hi I have seen quite a few doing this I will talk to our sales manager and see what I can sort out for you when I’m back to work. If you have not heard from me in a couple weeks then give me a nudge as sleep deprivation may have kicked in :D

Hi I have seen quite a few doing this I will talk to our sales manager and see what I can sort out for you when I’m back to work. If you have not heard from me in a couple weeks then give me a nudge as sleep deprivation may have kicked in :D

Ok, so i noticed a few months ago that our 1yr old Cali is doing the exact same thing.

I didnt even think of it as a warranty thing let alone bellows replacement.

Whats the chances of any fix happening during the current crazy 'lockdown/not lockdown' climate?! :rolleyes:

Ok, so i noticed a few months ago that our 1yr old Cali is doing the exact same thing.

I didnt even think of it as a warranty thing let alone bellows replacement.

Whats the chances of any fix happening during the current crazy 'lockdown/not lockdown' climate?! :rolleyes:
Hi Sunstoner,
We found the same problem with our 2018 Cali earlier this year just before the lockdown (see photo), detaching on front left hand side.
We took it to our local VW dealer (whom we bought it from new) once lockdown was lifted, they kept it for a few days to see if they could put the bellows back in place, but without success.
They subsequently contacted VW France(with photos) and the result is that we will be having new bellows fitted under warrany, Cali booked in for end of October (after our hols).
DSC02504.JPG

This happened with our 2018 Cali after 6 months old in very hot weather. Dealer tried to push back in but it pulled out 2 weeks later. They replaced it without any fuss under warranty. This was over 18 months ago now and all fine since. There was a suggestion - I think on this forum that VW had received a batch of bellows that were simply too small/tight. Contact your dealer I’m sure they will replace.

Hi Sunstoner,
We found the same problem with our 2018 Cali earlier this year just before the lockdown (see photo), detaching on front left hand side.
We took it to our local VW dealer (whom we bought it from new) once lockdown was lifted, they kept it for a few days to see if they could put the bellows back in place, but without success.
They subsequently contacted VW France(with photos) and the result is that we will be having new bellows fitted under warrany, Cali booked in for end of October (after our hols).
View attachment 64978
Aah excellent. I'll get this sorted pronto. Thankyou for your quick reply. Much appreciated!

Aah excellent. I'll get this sorted pronto. Thankyou for your quick reply. Much appreciated!
I didnt get this sorted as pronto as Id hoped. as it turned out, lockdown nailed it and a couple of scenarios but I've got mine going in to tomorrow at Sheffield plus theyre looking at the electric sliding door thats making a mess of the wheelarch....that sounds like a fun journey im going to be on.

20210615_124307.jpg

Just noticed this on our 2016 Beach - and as per most of the posts so far, front passenger side! Very weird.... Warranty expired (obviously!).
Will try the push-back approach tomorrow - but is there some kind of (kind!) sealant/glue that would help persuade it not to pop out?

Lower roof about nine inches ... Push up... have not used any glue ... Bit reluctant to go down that road .... Works for me

Just noticed this on our 2016 Beach - and as per most of the posts so far, front passenger side! Very weird.... Warranty expired (obviously!).
Will try the push-back approach tomorrow - but is there some kind of (kind!) sealant/glue that would help persuade it not to pop out?
You could try a piece of rubbery sticky tape in the groove, on the sidewall to grip the bellows seal when pushed back.

Same thing happening on ours. Still just in extended warranty so will be interested to see what the dealer says.

PXL_20210909_143231526.jpg

This thread started out as "not very common issue" but after 5 pages it's clearly more common than previously thought! Especially on 2018 models. It took 3 sets of bellows before I got one that stuck. It should be a no nonsense replacement. Takes a day to order once inspected which is a bit annoying if you already know what the problem is when you turn up!

I've just heard from my usual garage VW Hadwins (South Lakes) they're not interested in helping and suggest I go to a VW van centre. Fair enough. Has anyone had their bellows replaced in the north of England? I'd like to go somewhere where I'll get a good response and have replaced bellows before. Preston is the nearest and I know they have a good reputation for sales. I live in Kendal.

Had the same issue on our 2019 ocean. VW Sheffield recently applied a fix and it hasnt failed yet.

I keep checking every so often as i am and was fully expecting the bellows to be replaced.

I had my bellows replaced on Tuesday and they did a good job - everything aligned properly, very pleased. Today was a warm day here and I raised the roof this morning and left it under the sun all day. The bellows have held firm, so am pleased with the result. Thumbs up to the dealer for sorting it so diligently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which dealer did you you use please? Our local dealer Carrs at Indian Queens in Cornwall is not playing ball at the moment.

Hi it’s a bellows replacement unfortunately, I’ve done a few for this issue now
Hi. Would you be able to tell me which bit of the warranty covers this issue please? We have an approved used warranty after buying from Marshall’s VW in Reading. Our local dealer Carrs Indian Queens Cornwall have said they don’t think this is covered. Thanks

Hi. Ours was replaced under warranty by Beadles Chelmsford last year. They said VW suggested a repair but Beadles refused and so VW supplied a new bellows. Touch wood it has been fine since. Good luck.

I recently bought my T6 (used, of course) but the first time I put up the roof I either didn't notice the strip being loose or it just happened the most recent time I put up the top (also a manual top). Curiously, most everyone else seems to have it happen in the left corner. Mine happens to be in the right front corner. I'll probably check with VW as I think I have the extended warranty and maybe I'll get a new bellows with the front window out of the deal.

I recently bought my T6 (used, of course) but the first time I put up the roof I either didn't notice the strip being loose or it just happened the most recent time I put up the top (also a manual top). Curiously, most everyone else seems to have it happen in the left corner. Mine happens to be in the right front corner. I'll probably check with VW as I think I have the extended warranty and maybe I'll get a new bellows with the front window out of the deal.
Good luck with that! It seems some have managed to get a replacement and paying extra for the front window would be a nice result :)

We currently have this issue with our 2019 T6 Beach, front passenger side popping off. We have pushed it back on twice and the dealer has popped it back into place once when it went in for a service in November. They advised if happens again it would need to be looked at again and probably new bellows. Has anyone had Bellows fitted by Heritage in Bristol?
I'm really dubious as when it was pooped back on last time we had to wait around for one of the experiences mechanics to be free to do it so I don't hold out much hope for having the whole bellows replaced!

We currently have this issue with our 2019 T6 Beach, front passenger side popping off. We have pushed it back on twice and the dealer has popped it back into place once when it went in for a service in November. They advised if happens again it would need to be looked at again and probably new bellows. Has anyone had Bellows fitted by Heritage in Bristol?
I'm really dubious as when it was pooped back on last time we had to wait around for one of the experiences mechanics to be free to do it so I don't hold out much hope for having the whole bellows replaced!
Are you paying or a warranty claim? Had bellows changed under warranty but later failed
again so stuck in my self with clear sealer - not happed again.

Are you paying or a warranty claim? Had bellows changed under warranty but later failed
What sealant did you use out of interest?

Reactions: AJQ
It will be a warranty claim as we have extended warranty. I’m weighing up whether it worth the hassle of having them changed and possible further issues if the van centre does it poorly of whether to put up with having to pop it back in every so often!

It will be a warranty claim as we have extended warranty. I’m weighing up whether it worth the hassle of having them changed and possible further issues if the van centre does it poorly of whether to put up with having to pop it back in every so often!
personally, if you have a trusted van centre I would get it changed if under warranty

MyT6.1 Ocean went in for it's 2yr service today - with a hand full of things to fix.

One issue being the Pop top roof bellows (pulled away in 2 corners & repeatedly does so after poking the rubber sil back into the groove).

My local VW service centre said they have to try glueing before they are willing to replace the bellows - feels a little like i'm being fobbed off?

Also the roof sags when left open (over night). It does however go fully up when I ask it to via the control panel. VW said this is normal - and after a set time, the van will raise the roof automatically - has anyone else had this experience?

My bellows on a 2018 T6 pulled out. They tried a fix before replacing. It took 2 new sets of bellows before they stuck firm, so your experience sounds standard. My roof does drop a small bit after a day or so. It's only recently started, but it goes back no problem with a push of a button. It's very commonly raised on these forums, so again, pretty standard. I live with it.

Back