Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows Bungee

Some instructions on fitting here

Bellows Bungee .jpg

Do look at my recent post 'bellows bungee belt and braces' : the bungee does not provide complete protection against damage to the canvas & roof by the rear part of the scissor mechanism. An internal bungee gives extra protection and is so simple to apply.

Was looking at some T6 Demo's today and all the showroom Cali's were fitted with Bellows Bungees!
Did you question the dealer as to why it's needed? Surely that leaves VW wide open for claims as if the PROS need one in the showroom what chance has an owner got.

Did you question the dealer as to why it's needed? Surely that leaves VW wide open for claims as if the PROS need one in the showroom what chance has an owner got.
The problem is there is more collective knowledge on this site than in any Dealership.
If you follow the VW Instructions to the "T" then you will not have a problem, but then you would not be using the elevated roof in many of the conditions Forum members have experienced routinely especially if they use their vehicle all year round.
Unfortunately, judging by some of the questions asked on the Forum, it seems that reading the Handbook is not high on some owners lists, so the Bungee is a help, and judging by some of the cockups made by your VW PROS they need all the help they can get as well.

The problem is there is more collective knowledge on this site than in any Dealership.
If you follow the VW Instructions to the "T" then you will not have a problem, but then you would not be using the elevated roof in many of the conditions Forum members have experienced routinely especially if they use their vehicle all year round.
Unfortunately, judging by some of the questions asked on the Forum, it seems that reading the Handbook is not high on some owners lists, so the Bungee is a help, and judging by some of the cockups made by your VW PROS they need all the help they can get as well.
What conditions can't you use it in then?

We have a set routine:
1. Only when everything else is packed away and you are ready to drive away do a walk around of the van and use a small brush to sweep out the runners. A conker, a branch , leaves or a topper tie down left there is not a good thing
2. Start the engine.
3. Close the sliding door and open a window on the side of the van sheltered from any wind.
4. Stand between the seats with you head in the bellows so you can eye it down as it is closing and make sure there is nothing left up there or that the mattress or reading light are in the way.
5. Carefully tidy the bits above your head and close the hatch.

All this has been gleaned from people on this site in the last six moths we have owned the van. Men are better at this than woman: They are more likely to have already experienced the excrutiating pain caused by accidents occuring during rapid unchecked and careless closure.

What conditions can't you use it in then?
Storm conditions - not unknown in the UK. Le Mistral, if in an exposed position.

It can be used but extra care needs to be taken, positioning of vehicle with rear into the wind etc: and care with lowering roof. Common sense really, but then VW wouldn't advocate it.

Storm conditions - not unknown in the UK. Le Mistral, if in an exposed position.

It can be used but extra care needs to be taken, positioning of vehicle with rear into the wind etc: and care with lowering roof. Common sense really, but then VW wouldn't advocate it.
Thanks for the info and taking time to reply

What if the wind has switched direction in the night , like it often does?

Sorry, but unlike some I don't have all the answers. There are only 2 of us so if the weather is really atrocious then we often don't put the roof up if we are very exposed. Otherwise try to get a sheltered position. Common sense should dictate what to do after all the roof is a large sheet of metal on 4 point supports with a piece of canvas. If a very strong gale can take off a house/factory roof !
People have even turned the van in the scenario you mentioned. You can drive it with the roof up. Not recommended but it can be done.

Last edited:
Sorry, but unlike some I don't have all the answers. There are only 2 of us so if the weather is rally atrocious then we often don't put the roof up if we are very exposed. Otherwise try to get a sheltered position. Common sense should dictate what to do after all the roof is a large sheet of metal on 4 point supports with a piece of canvas. If a very strong gale can take off a house/factory roof !
People have even turned the van in the scenario you mentioned. You can drive it with the roof up. Not recommended but it can be done.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply with experienced information . Invaluable . ..

As above re WGs comments, there is no one answer to this but common sense prevails. I've sailed all my life and am an enthusiastic cyclist so the wind is always something I study, and frequently get wrong! If it's windy rear into the wind if you can, if it's going to blow a 'hooley' then roof down is probably sensible although like many we have had our roof up in a blow. All the advice on lowering spot on on this thread, we don't use a bungee (just our choice....) but it seems most do....'head through the hole' and final outside check are key for us although nothing is foolproof!

I spend a lot of time in Snowdonia and was up there to receive the tail end of the storms that battered the Lake District towards the end of last year.
I sleep upstairs for preference leaving the downstairs as a sitting room. A couple of times the wind increased markedly overnight, way above what was forecast. It also became gusty repeatedly coming from different directions. Even though I was in a relatively sheltered location the Cali began to rock quite strongly. As @WelshGas says, the roof is held up on 4 point supports and is effectively a large sail as @Neilgbj says.
It is, apparently, very expensive to replace I have heard figures of £3,000-£4,000 mentioned plus the disruption. Lowering the roof in the dark, on your own at 3.00 in the morning is scary.
Getting your tail into the wind is the best advice, but be ready to move downstairs and lower the roof if you have to and plan a robust method of doing it under the worst scenario just in case it happens. I use a bungee and check the tension of it from time to time. They do loose their elasticity over time.
@Neilgbj and @WelshGas and others are quite correct, there is no definitive answer, but common sense prevails.

VW state that a window should be open when lowering the roof. I always try to have a door open, downwind for the following reason.
As you lower the roof, air is pushed out from the roof space via the front hatch. You can feel it. With no window or door open then the air pressure will build up, within the vehicle and blow the canvas outwards, Not Good.
With just a window open then that becomes a choke point as its cross-sectional area is less than that of the front hatch and there can still be an initial pressure build up possibly blowing the canvas outwards. However, with a door open which is similar in area to the hatch then there should be no pressure build up and the folding strips in the canvas should fold inwards as they are designed to do.
If you can only open a window then slowly, slowly and allow pressure equalisation as you lower the roof.

I spend a lot of time in Snowdonia and was up there to receive the tail end of the storms that battered the Lake District towards the end of last year.
I sleep upstairs for preference leaving the downstairs as a sitting room. A couple of times the wind increased markedly overnight, way above what was forecast. It also became gusty repeatedly coming from different directions. Even though I was in a relatively sheltered location the Cali began to rock quite strongly. As @WelshGas says, the roof is held up on 4 point supports and is effectively a large sail as @Neilgbj says.
It is, apparently, very expensive to replace I have heard figures of £3,000-£4,000 mentioned plus the disruption. Lowering the roof in the dark, on your own at 3.00 in the morning is scary.
Getting your tail into the wind is the best advice, but be ready to move downstairs and lower the roof if you have to and plan a robust method of doing it under the worst scenario just in case it happens. I use a bungee and check the tension of it from time to time. They do loose their elasticity over time.
@Neilgbj and @WelshGas and others are quite correct, there is no definitive answer, but common sense prevails.
So with 2 parents sleeping downstairs and 2 kids in the roof the Cali is no use in windy conditions because if the wind pics up the roof needs to come down?

I don't think that is what any of us have said. In 15 weeks of use in the last year I have only had to lower the roof overnight twice. What we are advising is that in very strong winds you need to be aware of the possibility of having to do it.
By picking your site carefully, if strong winds are forecast, noting the direction of wind, looking out for shelter that will deflect the gusts. Winds of 50mph to 60mph were expected in November 2015, with isolated gusts potentially hitting the county with a force of 65mph to 70mph. Drivers were being advised to be aware and look out for branches on the road. I was very new to the California when I was using it last November. I have now had a year camping in all sorts of weather and high winds are not my biggest concern. But arriving at a site when strong weather is forecast I would choose my pitch carefully. Just as with tent camping a cliff top view is great when the sun is shining, but not so good when the wind is blowing strongly from the sea.
Only the occupants of the vehicle will know how strong the wind is on the site they are on and can make an informed judgement.
You might find this thread useful as it deals with a whole range of California subjects including strong winds.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/page-2

So with 2 parents sleeping downstairs and 2 kids in the roof the Cali is no use in windy conditions because if the wind pics up the roof needs to come down?
No different to a tent. You don't pitch a tent with the door into the wind, nor a caravan with awning, unless you want to see things sailing away in a gale. If the weatherman says gales are coming then use common sense if you have to have the roof up. No different to having an awning attached or the cassette awning out in stormy conditions.
So 1 night in 200 you might have to all sleep downstairs, but what about the other 199 nights. Isn't that part of the adventure, especially if you use it all the year round. :thumb

You can pitch a tent in any direction but you don't always have that option with a cali depending in where you are so it's a valid point to be concerned about wind.
There have been occasions where we've had to retreat downstairs during the night, not often, but it has happened so I can imagine it would be difficult to accommodate 4 comfortably enough to get some sleep (especially if it's 4 adults). It's certainly something worth considering if you're thinking about buying into the cali lifestyle

I have been parked in very high winds on east coast of Scotland and no damage. Just be sensible. Also I have been in larger panel van and coachbuilt motorhomes which were blown across the road driving in strong winds. The Cali has never caused me concern driving in similar strong winds.

Do look at my recent post 'bellows bungee belt and braces' : the bungee does not provide complete protection against damage to the canvas & roof by the rear part of the scissor mechanism. An internal bungee gives extra protection and is so simple to apply.
An internal Bungee? Never heard of that. Where can I get one? Thanks.

Understand now - looked up your earlier post. Thanks for sharing your idea.