Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best barbecue?

The snow peak range is a great bit of kit, the fire pit is fantastic packs up and down in a second. On top of that sits a collapsible BBQ which again folds flat, all this goes into a flat bag. There is also a oven attachment you can get. It’s all made out of aircraft grade stainless steel. It’s expensive but top notch quality.
Thanks for this suggestion, I've ordered this now prior to my van arriving later this year, hopefully can get some use out of it over the next few months before it arrives.

I was looking at the grillplate as well but it seems to be sold out everywhere. The 'coal square' seems a bit steep for how much use it will get so I might try and find a small grate to use instead.

I'm now wondering if I need a gas bbq as well for convenience... (fire pit seems like a 'once every now and again' use item given it's not always possible to have a fire going depending on where you are, also having to wait for coals to cool down etc won't always be ideal)

Packed down it’s 7x5 inches. It feels heavier than it’s flimsier counterparts because it’s such good quality. Look on YouTube. The guy who designed it has loads of videos. It wouldn’t replace a family bbq, but for 2, with a bit of creativity, it’s great.

Like California 4x4 says above, take a look at message #72 in this thread for some pics. (Each post has a # number to the top right of it).
There’s a lightweight titanium firebox now.

Thanks for this suggestion, I've ordered this now prior to my van arriving later this year, hopefully can get some use out of it over the next few months before it arrives.

I was looking at the grillplate as well but it seems to be sold out everywhere. The 'coal square' seems a bit steep for how much use it will get so I might try and find a small grate to use instead.

I'm now wondering if I need a gas bbq as well for convenience... (fire pit seems like a 'once every now and again' use item given it's not always possible to have a fire going depending on where you are, also having to wait for coals to cool down etc won't always be ideal)
This is a great alternative to a Cadac
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MDQYA48/?tag=eliteelect-21

One of the advantages of the cadac as far as I can tell is that it can run off the same LP gas as the van. Was thinking that I could carry a smaller 904/901 as a backup to the 907 and also use it for the cadac. While the cooker you've linked looked the business it means carrying a canister that I can't use for the van if it runs out. However....

I'm also in grave danger of doing the thing that everyone on the forum advises not to do in tooling up massively before the van even arrives. What else is there to do when checking the forum every night during a 6 month wait though.

One of the advantages of the cadac as far as I can tell is that it can run off the same LP gas as the van. Was thinking that I could carry a smaller 904/901 as a backup to the 907 and also use it for the cadac. While the cooker you've linked looked the business it means carrying a canister that I can't use for the van if it runs out. However....

I'm also in grave danger of doing the thing that everyone on the forum advises not to do in tooling up massively before the van even arrives. What else is there to do when checking the forum every night during a 6 month wait though.
I was liking the Cadac but decided it was too big. There’s a limit to the number of large things you want in the van. The Cadac is round aswell, which isn’t great. We just have one of those rectangular gas rings that have an aerosol sized canister. We cook on that all the time, only use the van ring for morning coffee and if it rains. This also means our gas bottle lasts forever!
We have a rectangular Weber Go Anywhere charcoal bbq which we used to take with us but don’t much anymore. We now use it in the back garden.
You‘ll find out what works for you. We mainly camp abroad which affects massively what you need in the van. You might be different.

It was from this company. It may be this product. It’s not perfect but it’s the best one I could find. Look at where the chains hook into the grill. It would be better if they hooked into a loop rather than the slight bend, as if you’re a bit aggressive with it, you can find it trying to tip your sausages in the fire. It hasn’t happened yet though.
Potential grill upgrade
https://www.petromax-shop.de/petromax_en/hange-rost-fur-dreibein.html

It’s good provided you can adjust the height of the chain from the leg, otherwise you will need to grab the hot chain each time to adjust the height of the grill as the fire subsides - if you use the cast iron pot gives you good control to simmer a stew etc (ie, our cheap one has a hook on one of the legs that you hook the chain onto, and pulley/loop at top of tripod,)

It’s good provided you can adjust the height of the chain from the leg, otherwise you will need to grab the hot chain each time to adjust the height of the grill as the fire subsides - if you use the cast iron pot gives you good control to simmer a stew etc (ie, our cheap one has a hook on one of the legs that you hook the chain onto, and pulley/loop at top of tripod,)
With the version I have used, the chain at the apex or meeting point has never got hotter than can be handled with bare hands. Surprising I know. The heat from open fires dissipates very quickly.

Good find. I like that it would solve the issues I think I should be having with the current one. However at half a metre in diameter without a fold. It will be a challenge to store. That’s probably why the off-road community created a grill plate that can attach on the outside to a spare wheel.

I like the idea of a firepit/BBQ that folds flat, the Snow Peak linked above looks great but €€€ ...

Browsing for one I don't have to "import" from UK threw up this one. About 150€ cheaper... Looks the same? The shop sells Snow Peak as well which is odd. Can anyone tell if it's rebadged or a knockoff?

I like the idea of a firepit/BBQ that folds flat, the Snow Peak linked above looks great but €€€ ...

Browsing for one I don't have to "import" from UK threw up this one. About 150€ cheaper... Looks the same? The shop sells Snow Peak as well which is odd. Can anyone tell if it's rebadged or a knockoff?

It looks good. Bit heavy at 14kg?

It looks good. Bit heavy at 14kg?
That’s about 4kg heavier than the Snow Peak! That’s quite a lot… although I imagine much of that extra weight is in the mild steel base plate, looks quite hefty.
So having had a closer look, it’s not just the same thing rebadged, the construction is different (folded not welded). Appears they’ve had the Snow Peak stove copied in China.

That’s about 4kg heavier than the Snow Peak! That’s quite a lot… although I imagine much of that extra weight is in the mild steel base plate, looks quite hefty.
So having had a closer look, it’s not just the same thing rebadged, the construction is different (folded not welded). Appears they’ve had the Snow Peak stove copied in China.
The weight is a bit ambiguous, I'm guessing the 14kg is for the full kit. The full snow peak kit is 14.5kg.

I must say despite it being able to fold flat it's not that portable. It's quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be even folded up. It's not something I think I'll keep in the van on a full time basis for that reason.

In terms of buying the cheaper version I'm sure it will do a very similar/the same job, but my philosophy on these things is that I tend to justify the extra cost using the following rationale:

1) Buy cheap buy twice
2) Better resale value if I decide to get rid of it
3) I would have buyers remorse if I bought the cheaper one

I managed to get a 10% discount on the snow peak kit by asking in the store, but I agree it's very steep for what it is. If you look at other snow peak kit the prices they charge are fairly scandalous (e.g mugs, backpacks etc). It's very well reviewed online though, time will tell if it justifies the price.

Also the drifta kit comes with the cross section stand for under the base plate that raises it up off the ground, something the snow peak one doesn't have in the kit (it's an added extra)

The weight is a bit ambiguous, I'm guessing the 14kg is for the full kit. The full snow peak kit is 14.5kg.

I must say despite it being able to fold flat it's not that portable. It's quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be even folded up. It's not something I think I'll keep in the van on a full time basis for that reason.

In terms of buying the cheaper version I'm sure it will do a very similar/the same job, but my philosophy on these things is that I tend to justify the extra cost using the following rationale:

1) Buy cheap buy twice
2) Better resale value if I decide to get rid of it
3) I would have buyers remorse if I bought the cheaper one

I managed to get a 10% discount on the snow peak kit by asking in the store, but I agree it's very steep for what it is. If you look at other snow peak kit the prices they charge are fairly scandalous (e.g mugs, backpacks etc). It's very well reviewed online though, time will tell if it justifies the price.

Also the drifta kit comes with the cross section stand for under the base plate that raises it up off the ground, something the snow peak one doesn't have in the kit (it's an added extra)
Thanks for the clarification. I’d probably go for the medium anyway, but even then it’s a big lump when packed. That said, few grills pack down small - the only one I can think of is the totally flatpack one that disassembles into a few flat sheets of steel (forget the brand).

We also use the weber go anywhere but we made an attachment which fits in the inside of it. This keeps us warm in the evening (when outside) and expands the inside of the bbq

weber go anywhere.JPG

Our Cadac Safari Chef II has given up. The burner has become detached from the rest of the base and burns with an orange flame, so no longer safe to use.

Bought in March 2017, we soon added a quick release coupling and drilled little holes in the legs to allow the fold.

It travelled around Europe with us for a year, and has been as far north as Nordkapp, as far south as Tarifa, as far east as Virmajärvi, as far west as Cabo da Roca.

I estimate it has been used 500 times in the past four years, and its very last use was a BBQ for 11 people.

A replacement has been ordered.

We have found new life in our weber go anywhere. We bought it as a replacement for our smokey joe 5 years ago and have barely used it. In the beginning we used to have coal with us and that was a pity. Now we use it with wood instead and it makes it less of a hassle for sure.
Where considering lots of expensive options but have decided to use what we have instead.

4405727b112bf737c844aabd4e95f150.jpg

Weber go anywhere for us, fits under the bed easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I can see the joints being a potential weak point as they look riveted on and may suffer in the heat from the charcoal/wood.

Can't see it being much more of an issue to clean than a normal bbq. It would be interesting to see how much tolerance there is between the parts and how this maybe effected by any stuck on bits or if the metal may warp with use and cause issues.

My concerns with some low height bbq is scorching the grass (so having to take something else to stop this or use on a slab/hardstanding) and having to stoop over to cook.
The hunt for the perfect camping bbq continues!:D
The hinges are riveted with half stainless steel rivets(you only see the stainless steel part of the rivet. The braai is designed to never buckle or bend. The test plates has had more than 25 000 pieces of wood on them. We have just introduced a pan for that.