Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best route and stops down through France on way to Pyrenees

M

Meerkat1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We are going to spend about 3 days driving down to the Spanish side of the Pyrenees just north of Barcelona, from the St Malo ferry point. Does anyone have some great recommendations for picturesque and interesting routes, points of interests and stops/campsites?

I've never actually driven it, but have ridden the N-260 many times: It's known as the"eje Pirenaico" or Pyrenean axis, and runs from Sabiñánigo in the west, to the Med coast. Gotta be one of the best biking roads in the world. You might end up on it anyway if you are (wisely) going to avoid the motorway down to Perpignan.
All of the big cols are great when crossing into Spain, Bielsa, Portillon, etc.
If you're returning the same way, I recommend driving up the cañon de Añisclo, between Escalona and Fanlo. It's one way, running northwest, so takes you out of your way going down there. However, avoid it in or after heavy rain, as that's when there tend to be a lot of falling rocks.

Thanks for the replies so far. Can anyone recommend a whole-ish route from St Malo itself all the way down?

Or any books/apps which could be our guide?

We are going to spend about 3 days driving down to the Spanish side of the Pyrenees just north of Barcelona, from the St Malo ferry point. Does anyone have some great recommendations for picturesque and interesting routes, points of interests and stops/campsites?
Whereabouts north of Spain will you be? I might have some suggestions for sites, as we have just been there this summer. What kind of sites do you prefer?

Martin Dorey’s Take The Slow Road: France
Take the Slow Road: France: Inspirational Journeys Round France by Camper Van and Motorhome https://amzn.eu/d/dJg8e3R

We just did the journey the other direction. But over 17 nights!
Thread 'Trip Review - Santander to Calais, 17 nights'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/trip-review-santander-to-calais-17-nights.46359/
Fabulous. We returning via Santander so your trip review would come in handy from both ends, although we're coming from St Malmo, but that's very helpful.

And I'll take a look at that book too. Thanks @Lambeth Cali.

Back