Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best waterproof wind out awning side and front panels for beach?

A

angconcerts

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi looking for advice and maybe any pictures of best wind out awning side panels to attach to a Beach? Under £500. And also pop top roof waterproof cover? Thanks in advance

My advice would depend on what you are using it for. In Spring and Autumn you are probably looking for outside space that you can expand into, eat in and possibly heat up. In this case the Comfortz Awning room is very good. You can put all 3 sides on as in the first picture or leave out one if you just want a windbreak as in the second picture.

image0003.jpgDorset May 19 (2).jpg
If you are looking for shade in the summer then one of the semitransparent awnings might be best or a home made tarp. You must ensure that the wind-out awning is VERY firmly fixed down or serious damage can be done with a gust of wind.

20190705_203324.jpg20190705_203324.jpg
Comfortz awning kit is great, used many times this summer. Easy to do on your own and packs down to a fairly compact size.
Also have their topper which works well, though needs 2 if breezy.

Good afternoon,

I expect delivery of the Comforz Awning Kit hopefully before the weekend, I can't wait.

For all the user the users of the Comforz Awning Kit, where do you store it? Does it fit in the back door, between the chairs?

Regards,
Eberhard

I just put it in the boot after all the other stuff, then it's the first thing out to set up.
Between my chair I already have topper and screen covers.

I have the two Comfortz sides which fit nicely in one of those “bag for life” supermarket bags in one of the tailgate chairs and the main Comfortz front panel goes in the other chair. Both fit nicely but in reality any combination of screen covers / toppers/ awning sides will go in between the chairs as long as folded fairly neatly. I also try to keep the pvc windows on the “outside” of the folds to reduce the risk of damaging the windows with sharp creases.

Hi looking for advice and maybe any pictures of best wind out awning side panels to attach to a Beach? Under £500. And also pop top roof waterproof cover? Thanks in advance
Recommend both the
Comfortz Awning Room & Rainbow pop top

Can recommend the Brandrup side panels & internal Brandrup ISOTOP.

We looked at the Comfortz awning but the ability to flare the sides of the Brandrup gave us a bit more space + has pole holes so you can also create a huge shaded space if required, which comes in handy for the dog.

We also have a small inflatable awning (Reimo Tour) which we can link to the edge of roller awning for longer trips.

All purchased from Club Shop - roof topper (keeps it dry and sleeps upstairs at little cosier / thermal screen cover and Comfortz walls (use all walls together or as many as you need ) good for 1 or 2 night stays.

E5690A39-DA62-4685-B22D-01C57AAE9D4C.jpeg

Good afternoon,

I expect delivery of the Comforz Awning Kit hopefully before the weekend, I can't wait.

For all the user the users of the Comforz Awning Kit, where do you store it? Does it fit in the back door, between the chairs?

Regards,
Eberhard
We don’t take the VW chairs with us so use those compartments for topper / awning kit / awning tie down kit and screen cover. But I believe the awning will fit in with a chair.

We have the Comfortz Awning kit which we have had for 4 years. it’s been terrific. only problem we have found that when it rains we get loads of water puddle in the middle of our awning. With the awning kit fitted it’s not easy to get a good “tilt” so the water runs off. This year we bought a Fiammia rafter pro. It prevents the water from one large puddle to probably two smaller ones. It hasn’t rained yet so not sure how it’s going to be but it’s bound to be better than the gallons that would sag the roof without it.

We have the Comfortz Awning kit which we have had for 4 years. it’s been terrific. only problem we have found that when it rains we get loads of water puddle in the middle of our awning. With the awning kit fitted it’s not easy to get a good “tilt” so the water runs off. This year we bought a Fiammia rafter pro. It prevents the water from one large puddle to probably two smaller ones. It hasn’t rained yet so not sure how it’s going to be but it’s bound to be better than the gallons that would sag the roof without it.

Completely agree with the Comfortz Awning Kit, we have made a lot of use of ours over the last 4 years. We also have the rafter pro, as do a few others of the VWCC. If it looks like being heavy rain I sometimes put a straight pole over the top of the rafter pro so effectively dividing the awning into 4, this works well and the roof, when tilted drains well.

We made our own from waterproof material, they valcro onto the wind out arms and peg down at the bottom. I seem to remember the material cost £20 on eBay

Comforts awning kit gets our vote, we also use the rafter pro to stop rain puddling in the middle, ensure you have one awning keg lower than the other to effect a run off for rain too.

We used to have the comforts panels but have now upgraded to the Thule G3. Bigger, bulkier, more windproof, and much more expensive. A faff to put up.
0be2fc6970ee19b22cc1c22ed36fcd9c.jpg

A faff to put up.
We've looked at these and wondered how quick they would be to set up.

How does it rate compared to setting up your airbeam awning?

We can get our Vango Galli up in 20 minutes.

We've looked at these and wondered how quick they would be to set up.

How does it rate compared to setting up your airbeam awning?

We can get our Vango Galli up in 20 minutes.

This is only the third time we have used it.

Unwind the awning as usual.
Insert the G3 support beams. They go at the extreme left and extreme right of the canopy.
Wind in the awning tight to clamp the support beams between the awning front and the casing on the van.
Hang the left and right panels, beading slides into the support beams.
Hang the front panel, beading slides into the awning front.
Join left panel to front panel with figure of eight. Same with right panel.
Tension left and right panels to van side with straps.
Adjust awning legs.
Peg out.

Probably 30 minutes.

You can also seal off the bottom of the van and rear wheel so the G3 can be heated. It is pretty much draft free.

You don’t want to be setting it up if you will be wanting to drive away.

The way I pack it, it is about half the bulk of out Vango Hexaway.

Note: there is absolutely no possibility of opening the driver’s door with the G3 in use, so if you haven’t swivelled the driver’s seat you can’t without partially dismantling the awning room.

It is just about big enough to set up a kitchen area and four to eat around the picnic table.

This is only the third time we have used it.

Unwind the awning as usual.
Insert the G3 support beams. They go at the extreme left and extreme right of the canopy.
Wind in the awning tight to clamp the support beams between the awning front and the casing on the van.
Hang the left and right panels, beading slides into the support beams.
Hang the front panel, beading slides into the awning front.
Join left panel to front panel with figure of eight. Same with right panel.
Tension left and right panels to van side with straps.
Adjust awning legs.
Peg out.

Probably 30 minutes.

You can also seal off the bottom of the van and rear wheel so the G3 can be heated. It is pretty much draft free.

You don’t want to be setting it up if you will be wanting to drive away.

The way I pack it, it is about half the bulk of out Vango Hexaway.

Note: there is absolutely no possibility of opening the driver’s door with the G3 in use, so if you haven’t swivelled the driver’s seat you can’t without partially dismantling the awning room.

It is just about big enough to set up a kitchen area and four to eat around the picnic table.
Thanks.That's really helpful.

We were thinking of having something quick to erect for short stays. It doesn't look like there would be much of a time saving against the current awning we've got.

I wonder if the other manufacturer's awning panels are quicker to erect?

Thanks.That's really helpful.

We were thinking of having something quick to erect for short stays. It doesn't look like there would be much of a time saving against the current awning we've got.

I wonder if the other manufacturer's awning panels are quicker to erect?

The comforts panels go up in seconds.

We made our own from waterproof material, they valcro onto the wind out arms and peg down at the bottom. I seem to remember the material cost £20 on eBay
I‘ve bought 8 meters of a 220cm wide waterproof canvas for about 100€. I‘ve bought a new sewing machine for 350€. Some eyelets with washers and 3m of keder strip. So in total about 500€. I didn‘t know how to sew, watched a few youtube videos, sewing a tarp is pretty much just straight lines so very easy. I‘ve basically made my own cave, three panels that attach to the awning arm and/or poles, can be all closed off, very easy to put up or stow away between the chairs in the tailgate. If they get dirty i can chuck them in the w/m.
You are then left with a sewing machine and a bit of sewing experience for future projects.

Good afternoon,

We got delivery of our new Comfortz Awning Kit yesterday. We tried it out straight away:

1568545783429.png

1568546021213.png
1568546876191.png

The first test setup outside the house took just about 5 minutes! To take it apart and find a place to store it in the van took 15 minutes. I believe that that in future it will take less then 10 minutes.

The quality of the material is very good, the weight is ok (yet a bit heavier than I expected). Will it be full wind and rain prove - we will find this out in the future.

What I like is that the setup of the awning is quick. I believe that, for the two of us, the setup of the van for the night (now including the awing) will be 20 minutes and getting reading to leave less than 30 minutes. I think this is ok.

The awing will give us a bit more sheltered space and the option to leave the chairs, table, shoes etc. out in the awning. We are really looking forward to use it.

There are a lot of various tent pegs that came with the awning. I need to have a closer look at them. At the moment there are a few I don't know how to use them.

Regards,
Eberhard

That colour goes well with the van.
Our van will be the same colour when it arrives.
Is that the Mid grey or the Light grey colour Awning?
Good afternoon,

It is the "mid grey" colour. It turned out quite well. I believe the success of the awning is the good quality and to speed to put it up.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,
It is the "mid grey" colour. It turned out quite well. I believe the success of the awning is the good quality and to speed to put it up.
Thanks for the info.
Its certainly the speed of setting up that makes this awning attractive and the fact that its reasonable light and does not take up much room to pack away. As Amarillo mentioned the Thule G3 that he has, takes quite of bit of time to erect not un-similar to the time needed to erect a driveaway awning, so I think for short stays where you are using the van every that this would be ideal. Have to have a look at the Rainbow site to see what the nearest colour match for windscreen cover and pop top cover is. I know Comfortz now do a matching screen/pop top, but it seems if you have the front window option, you dont get the insert for the window to provide a complete black out, unlike Rainbow.