Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BF Goodrich All Terrain Tyres - 17 Inch Does A Spare Fit In 6.1?

Bumble The Van

Bumble The Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Has anyone please got any bf goodrich all terrain tyres on 17 inches , if so does a spare fit in the cali wheel mount in a 6.1 ocean? would love to know many thanks

Has anyone please got any bf goodrich all terrain tyres on 17 inches , if so does a spare fit in the cali wheel mount in a 6.1 ocean? would love to know many thanks
If you have the tyre size recommended by VW, see sticker on Drivers side B pillar, then Yes.
If a different size maybe, maybe not.

ok sadly my van hasnt arrived yet will be 3 weeks but will look thanks so much

Hi
I have 225/65/17 BFG and have a spare in cradle on T6, but you have to let about 10psi out for it to fit.

What size tyre are you intending to fit?

235/60/17 fits with no issues.

As a comparison check I use this site for a more visual display - 235/60/17 with 225/65/17 entered and shows little difference to my 235/60/17 spare.

As a spare the cheap Radar tyre could be used.

Last edited:
Interested to know why you want these tyres. Don’t get me wrong, i like them as a tyre and have run them for off road (desert) because they are happy down at 5-10 psi but they are a huge rotating mass that does eat half shafts and CV joints, plus oversize will de power quite dramatically as you are turning a bigger wheel. For the Cali I can’t see any benefit without a suspension lift and possible regearing to accommodate the larger sizes.

Interested to know why you want these tyres. Don’t get me wrong, i like them as a tyre and have run them for off road (desert) because they are happy down at 5-10 psi but they are a huge rotating mass that does eat half shafts and CV joints, plus oversize will de power quite dramatically as you are turning a bigger wheel. For the Cali I can’t see any benefit without a suspension lift and possible regearing to accommodate the larger sizes.
im a wildlife photographer and spend a lot of time going off road ;)

im a wildlife photographer and spend a lot of time going off road ;)
I went with Michelin agilis in the standard 215/60/17 size for similar reasons, have been doing mountain trails and gravel as well as some snow and very impressed so far. Standard size I don’t lose any power. Love the look of the BFG but these are rugged enough without the motorway drone of the knobblies. Good luck with what you decide to get.

I have
I also have had Bfg K02 225/65/17 107/103s for last 2/3 yrs . Minimal additional noise and much softer ride . Unstoppable. Am about to get a spare and understand that it will fit carrier if slightly deflated . Brilliant tyres .

Last edited:
I have

I also have had Bfg K02 225/65/17 107/103s for last 2/3 yrs . Minimal additional noise and much softer ride . Unstoppable. Am about to get a spare and understand that it will fit carrier if slightly deflated . Brilliant tyres .
You shouldn't need to deflate as the 225 is narrower than the 235.
My 235/60 fits with room to spare which indicates that the extra 10mm diameter of the 225/65 should fit.
New tyre with full tread just might be a tight fit, I usually buy a part worn tyre with 6mm min tread left as a spare.

Mine wouldn’t fit due to be 65 and the chunky tread, letting out 10/15psi worked.
A part worn one may work.
Fitting BFG will cost you around £15 more a tank (filling around 55/60l) that’s if I got my maths right. You lose around 4/5mpg pretty costly at the mo with fuel prices.
I’m looking into fitting Michelin latitude cross 235/55/17 on my new van.

Fitting BFG will cost you around £15 more a tank (filling around 55/60l) that’s if I got my maths right. You lose around 4/5mpg pretty costly at the mo with fuel prices.
Have you taken into account that the van has actually done more miles than the trip meter shows due to the tyres being oversize?

BFG are fuel rated F which is pretty bad.
I was told that equates to 4/5mpg have never looked into in great detail, just used the 5mpg figure. They definitely cost you more to run then standard.
Anyone with latitudes would be grateful of the feed back on wear, fuel and strength (any punctures).

Mine wouldn’t fit due to be 65 and the chunky tread, letting out 10/15psi worked.
A part worn one may work.
I’m looking into fitting Michelin latitude cross 235/55/17 on my new van.
Pity they aren't winter rated, 3 peak symbol. Only the Alpin version has and as a 235/65/17.