Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Big black net

I have been out , jumping up and down, and making all sorts of noise.
And you are right Welsh gas.......sort of.
One push on the key, and alarm sounds after 30 mins
Two pushes on mine doesn't always make the doors clunk....perhaps a low battery....but when I get the extra clunk, and the locks rise a little, presumably removing safelock....then no alarm, even with crazy jumping.
The alarm does sound if you open the door
To add to the senarios
If you open front door, take key out, and push the pillar button, which turns yellow
Then you can single lock...so safelock on, ...and no alarm jumping, but alarm if you open a door from the inside
Final senario is to lock using the button on the door
Then no alarm, and you can open from the inside, with no alarm, but not from the outside....
So thanks Welsh Gas, I think I understand it. You need to go and play Old Sid
And I need to change my remote batteries
Remote batteries, so I was told, should last about 4 years.

Remote batteries, so I was told, should last about 4 years.
They do work at about 500 meters, so suggests they are strong
Just been to check ...double click does work atall now,,,tried quick, slow, maintained.
It won't do that second clunk
Would that be a remote problem, or a van one
We are off for a long hol soon.....as I can lock the van no problem, I am reluctant to get it messed about with before we go

They do work at about 500 meters, so suggests they are strong
Just been to check ...double click does work atall now,,,tried quick, slow, maintained.
It won't do that second clunk
Would that be a remote problem, or a van one
We are off for a long hol soon.....as I can lock the van no problem, I am reluctant to get it messed about with before we go
Interesting. Sorry can't help you there.

Does your spare key behave the same?
Yep , same with spare key
And the little red light doesn't flash for 30 seconds, which is a sign of faulty central locking according to the manual
I do just wonder if I have somehow confused the system by playing with it....
I had a fault on side door locking,,,,that got better after a week and hasn't returned in many months
And I have just been locking and unlocking and jumping up and down, and pressing the pillar button, ......so I may just watch and wait...the van is safe and lockable

I am not sure you are right about the alarm Old Sid.
Two clicks on the key undoes the safelock mechanism,so you can open the doors from the inside when locked. The alarms are still active.
To turn them off, you need to open the front door and take the key out of the ignition. You then press the alarm button, that is to your left, on the pillar, as you look in the drives door. It will be lit up.
You press it , shut the door and lock with one click.
That alarm is off..until you unlock the van, next time you lock the alarm is on again.
It is all on page 57 of my 2015 manual
If you lock the van from the inside, with the button on the door, the alarm is off....useful at night some places.

Wow, that sounds like an excessively complicated way to lock the van from the outside without setting the motion alarm. Most cars seem to do this by locking manually using the key instead of the remote. This is important if you are a frequent ferry user or you leave a pet inside.
I read the bit about 'safe lock'. It seemed clear as mud. I got the feeling that 'safe lock' is door, internal and motion alarms on and 'safe lock off' is door alarms on but internal and motion alarms off. If so, 'safe lock off would be suitable for ferry travel.

Yep , same with spare key
And the little red light doesn't flash for 30 seconds, which is a sign of faulty central locking according to the manual
I do just wonder if I have somehow confused the system by playing with it....
I had a fault on side door locking,,,,that got better after a week and hasn't returned in many months
And I have just been locking and unlocking and jumping up and down, and pressing the pillar button, ......so I may just watch and wait...the van is safe and lockable

I had side door problem with previous T5. The sensor on the side door was out of adjustment.

This seems to have gone a long way from the 'BIG BLACK NET'. However, it's help me resolve various issues so THANKS.

I think the alarm and locking thing seems to be that I continue to simply press remote twice when van is on the ferry.
I will continue to play about with the sat nav until it does what I want and if the alarm sounds whilst on the ferry, I'll let you know (and try something else).

Incidentally, the Active Cruise Control' is brilliant!

I had side door problem with previous T5. The sensor on the side door was out of adjustment.
Thanks for that, is the sensor the bit in the door that has all the contacts, that is slightly sprung....good to know as mine could have been just very slightly out, has moved back, but could go again, in some inconvenient city car park

Thanks for that, is the sensor the bit in the door that has all the contacts, that is slightly sprung....good to know as mine could have been just very slightly out, has moved back, but could go again, in some inconvenient city car park
No, unfortunately. The Switch for the Latching function is within the door cavity towards the rear.
What you describe is the power contact to energise the latching mechanism.

No, unfortunately. The Switch for the Latching function is within the door cavity towards the rear.
What you describe is the power contact to energise the latching mechanism.

Yes, I agree. On my T5, it was a plunger switch under a rubber cover. The whole thing seemed to be on a thread and I was able to screw it anti clockwise to get it to make contact with the the closed door.

Interesting. Sorry can't help you there.
Hi Welshgas, you seem to be the repository of all Knowlege on the forum, so I thaught I should update you.
I had left the pillar alarm light yellow.....this means the alarm was off when I lock the van.....but also that stopped me being able to get the remote to do a double click, and turn of the alarm (which was off!) or release the deadlock.
When I clicked the pillar button to red....double click worked...

The handbook suggests to me that when you unlock the van it resets the pillar light to red...well it doesn't for mine.

So for me on a ferry, it is double click(when pillar red)
Or pillar button yellow and
Or, of course, use the key in the door.

The pillar button lit orange and them locked is what I use on a ferry as it disables the volumetric sensors and tilt sensors.

You have to press this once(orange) each time you want to do this.

So for example, you board the ferry, get out, press pillar button and it turns orange, lock car.
but, if you forgot something and go back to the car and unlock it you will need to press the button again (lit up orange) before you lock it again and walk away.

The pillar button lit orange and them locked is what I use on a ferry as it disables the volumetric sensors and tilt sensors.

So for example, you board the ferry, get out, press pillar button and it turns orange, lock car.
but, if you forgot something and go back to the car and unlock it you will need to press the button again (lit up orange) before you lock it again and walk away.
Thanks loz, mine doesn't reset...that is what led to the confusion.i have to press it, and turn it red ,to turn it off

Hi Welshgas, you seem to be the repository of all Knowlege on the forum, so I thaught I should update you.
I had left the pillar alarm light yellow.....this means the alarm was off when I lock the van.....but also that stopped me being able to get the remote to do a double click, and turn of the alarm (which was off!) or release the deadlock.
When I clicked the pillar button to red....double click worked...

The handbook suggests to me that when you unlock the van it resets the pillar light to red...well it doesn't for mine.

So for me on a ferry, it is double click(when pillar red)
Or pillar button yellow and
Or, of course, use the key in the door.
When I just tried mine I too thought it didn't reset back to Red, but it did after a delay, as Loz said.

This forum is just so helpful..... So much to learn.

IMG_20190627_124447.jpg

As far as I know, it is impossible to deadlock the van with the volumetric sensors and tilt sensors disabled.

Back