Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack

Peter Shead

Peter Shead

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I need a Tow Bar mounted Bike Rack for a T5 for 2 Bikes which allows the Boot to open. Recommendations please...? Peter

Welcome on board !
You will probally find some reviews here in the bike rack section.

I need a Tow Bar mounted Bike Rack for a T5 for 2 Bikes which allows the Boot to open. Recommendations please...? Peter
I bought an Easy Rack from Thurl , , light , cheap , and easy on and off ....true cant open back door but could if one cut off a little of the rack , which would not affect its strength ...which I know some members have done.

Thanks..Is that the Easy Fold XT 933 or the Easy fold 931..?

Last edited:
What bike are you wanting to put on the rack?

Modern mountain bikes are getting wider and wider at the wheel hubs, the marketers call it Boost!.
After much research I found the Thule and Atera racks don't offer enough space for the bikes to not bang or tangle up in each other so went for a BuzzRack. No Chance of opening the tailgate, but the bikes don't eat each other, which was my priority.

Take a look at this post about the Thule Easyfold 931.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/thule-easyfold-931.17874/#post-204174

I've just bought one and done the mod suggested in this post. It works a dream. Makes so much difference to travelling with bikes. My only slight concern is that the stops are a failsafe to prevent the bikes hitting the ground. I don't think the latch is likely to fail but I will probably rig up a safety strap for piece of mind.

PS. Follow the tip later in the post and buy the Volvo version which is exactly the same but over £100 cheaper. Doesn't come with the bag but £100 is a lot to pay for a bag !!

I've got a mate with the Altera. So I've seen both. The Altera is vey clever but I went for the Thule (Volvo) largely because it is simpler and more compact. As I understand it with the Altera you have to get the 3 (or 4) bike version and not use the slot nearest to the back of the van to enable the tailgate to lift. The Thule is a two bike rack from the outset (so overhang is less) and the tilt mechanism is very simple. It also folds to a very compact size for storage in the boot when not in use.

Cheers DM, racking (sorry) my brains about this too. Had the Kylie and love it's look, compactness and use as a towel rail but hate the lift up of the bikes, absolute PITA lack of easy access to the boot when loaded and the (more minor) fuel consumption and height barrier issues.

For the towball racks, positives are so many, downsides few, mainly loss of sensors, greater length etc.

I need to carry three bikes though.

Cheers DM, racking (sorry) my brains about this too. Had the Kylie and love it's look, compactness and use as a towel rail but hate the lift up of the bikes, absolute PITA lack of easy access to the boot when loaded and the (more minor) fuel consumption and height barrier issues.

For the towball racks, positives are so many, downsides few, mainly loss of sensors, greater length etc.

I need to carry three bikes though.
Ah - 3 bikes may limit your options. Thule do the XT3 but its a crazy price and I'm not sure if the tilt can be adjusted in the same way as the 331.